Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has happened to the once great automobiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to the once great automobiles?

Once upon a time way long ago, there were several auto manufactures who had designers that made sure the cars even from the same maker of several makes, Ford, GM, Chrysler etc were different from each other. When a person bought a new car, they purchased the basic probably lower cost car, then they moved up. In those days, cars were different. I remember sitting on a corner with freinds and we would tell the make and sometimes years of the cars that went by. Now, who knows what anything is. One has to look for a name ingraved in a plastic bumper or there might be a plastic name plate stuck on the car somewhere. Cars, with the exception of our "real cars" from the past are not exciting or even interesting anymore. The big difference to me is how much one is willing to pay for the overpriced, plastic throwaways of today. Yes cars of yesteryear needed more manitainance but we could do much of it ouselves. Now days, you break a bank just for minor repairs. Thats all I have to say for now.

Originally posted by hudsonrules View Post
    Once upon a time way long ago, there were several auto manufactures who had designers that made sure the cars even from the same maker of several makes, Ford, GM, Chrysler etc were different from each other. When a person bought a new car, they purchased the basic probably lower cost car, then they moved up. In those days, cars were different. I remember sitting on a corner with freinds and we would tell the make and sometimes years of the cars that went by. Now, who knows what anything is. One has to look for a name ingraved in a plastic bumper or there might be a plastic name plate stuck on the car somewhere. Cars, with the exception of our "real cars" from the past are not exciting or even interesting anymore. The big difference to me is how much one is willing to pay for the overpriced, plastic throwaways of today. Yes cars of yesteryear needed more manitainance but we could do much of it ouselves. Now days, you break a bank just for minor repairs. Thats all I have to say for now.

The problem with "one upon a time" is:

Once upon a time, spark plugs, points and condensers were good for 20K miles. Today ignition parts are good for 100,000,maybe more.

Once upon a time, engines were worn out well before 100k miles. Now they go three times as far.

Once upon a time exhaust systems lasted two or three years, now they last for 20.

Once upon a time, bodywork rusted through in three years or less. Now maybe 15 years.

Once upon time tires lasted 15k miles, now it's 40.

One upon a time paint was good for 5 years, now it's good for 15.

Once upon a time, a fast car would, maybe do 90 mph before it blew up. Nowadays, you can run them balls out almost forever.

And, once upon a time, a simple bacterial infection would kill you. Today we have antibiotics.

But, if you really think cars and other things were better once upon a time, you can find somewhere a perfectly restored 1954 Studebaker. It will cost at least as much as a new Honda. And with minimal maintenance, that perfect Stude will be junk in 50k miles, and the Honds will go 200k.

Comment

I've heard they don't make them like they used to.....good thing.

The old cars do have character though. I remember naming the cars and years of cars out front our house when I was pretty young. Can't do that now, except for the same ones i memorized in the fifties and sixties!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

All cars made today look the same? Well, I suppose the same thing could have been said of the automobiles built back in the 1920's. But just like automobiles made back in the 1920's, there are exceptions as there were some makes/models of automobiles that were very unique. I have a 2015 Dodge Charger which I believe is unique, it doesn't look like anything else on the road except for other 2015-2017 Dodge Chargers. Of course, that is just my opinion.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

In the 1950s I remember my Father saying that all modern cars looked the same. "In the 20s and 30s each car was distinctive." It all depends on your perspective.
          American iron, real old school
          With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
          With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
          With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
          The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
          I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by hudsonrules View Post
            Once upon a time way long ago, there were several auto manufactures who had designers that made sure the cars even from the same maker of several makes, Ford, GM, Chrysler etc were different from each other.
            "Once great" to me is NOT style so much as build quality, refinement and prestige in the high-end luxury car market.

There were 'Once great' offerings from each of the (once) Big Three which handed over their high-dollar, high-profit car market to the likes of Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Audi starting back in the late 1960's, early 1970's. Cadillac, Lincoln, and Chrysler Imperial were all world contenders for the premium luxury car market in the 1930's, but in the interest of volume after the war, the big-three started lowering the status of them, such as replacing genuine wood trim with plastic wood trim, increased sharing of engines and other components with the much lesser lines of cars to the point where they have never recovered in the case of Cadillac and Lincoln. On the other hand, the German marques maintained their status despite lower volume than the once-Big Three's luxury contenders.

Craig

Comment

For me, new vs old is a double edge sword. Modern vehicles, when they are good, they are fine. When something goes wrong, they are a pain in the backside. EG; I had a 2000 Dakota with the 4 cyl engine. Had a check engine light come on. Went to a buddy that ran a shop and the code (gotta have a code for EVERYTHING) said throttle position sensor. Replaced it, but a few days later check engine light was back. Went back to my buddy, same code. Figured it was a bad part and replaced. Same thing happened a week later. Did the same, replaced the sensor. Week later, same thing AGAIN. I happened to be near another buddys shop so swung by him. Now, I have to add that there was an issue with the speedometer, needle was starting to "bounce". Had this gentleman check out both issues. Turns out, the speed sensor (located in the differential) was giving out. What was happening was the speed sensor fed thru the ECM. Being as the speed was NOT matching what the ECM thought it should be, based on the throttle position sensor input, the ECM thought the throttle position sensor was bad and would give that code. $12 for a new speed sensor and everything was fine.

My question. Whats wrong with a cable? Worked fine for 100 years. I'm having an issue now with a newish motorcycle. Throttle is "fly by wire" and I'm having issues. Bike is under warranty so there isn't much expense, but it's a pain. No rhyme nor reason for when it will act up, and each time the dealer fixes something different, based on the code. Again, what was wrong with a cable? Simple, effective and fairly reasonable to buy. I've seen the cost listed of the parts that have been replaced, and I know that I have spent far less on an intake, carb and headers for a V-8 engine.

On my older vehicles, I know what to work on, and even know how for the most part. Anything new, not so much. Brakes, oil change, hard parts yes, engine/running issues not so much.

I also am a fan of the styling of older vehicles. I was one who could also tell the make, and often times the year, by looking at the tail lights. These days, everything looks the same. Last Thanksgiving, I was visiting with my dad. As we were leaving a restaurant, he needed to make a pit stop so I just went on outside and waited for him near his vehicle. He came out a few minutes later and walked over to a different vehicle. I wondered what was up, until he unlocked the door. He has a 2016 RAV4, and I was waiting at a Ford Escape(I think). Same color, same design, slight difference in the tail lights, and C pillar, but so close that at a casual glance you would have thought they were from the same manufacturer.
              Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

The way I see it, the "once great" auto makers have had to adjust to be more competitive in the market place. It costs more than ever to retool a new car. So, the car makers have adjusted well I think. There's more competition from foreign makers and U.S. companies seem to be doing well.

Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I think the Great automobiles ended when they quit using metal to build them. The new cars have more plastic, than steel. They must be far cheaper to build, because they can mold any shape that they need, rather than trying to stamp it out of steel.
                  Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Automobiles are now appliances. You use them up and toss them out. They're engineered to the minimal structural standards required to pass Federal Safety/ crash inspections and built by robots. There's no need to put a lot of craftsmanship into one any more. No one would appreciate it
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I'm sorry... but a 1957 Ford was certainly different looking than a 57' Chevy or Chrysler or an AMC or a Studebaker. The designers were drawing these bodies with an artistic flair in hopes of drawing a buyer to their creations. Today all vehicles are "drawn" by computer to consider air flow characteristics and fuel mileage, Government regulations, ect. This dictates their design rendering them all to look basically the same. Certainly not my idea of creative art. We all know new car advancement is amazing but the style of older cars is certainly more interesting. Some prefer yesterday's designs with today's technology. That may explain the rise in the "custom" market at today's auctions. ( more interesting older cars with modern running gear and electrical technologies.) For me...keep the old car as original as possible. Either way, at least we can recognize what make of car is coming down the road from a distance.

Comment

My take on this is sort of a two-sided take I guess. We have a 55 Studebaker and a 63 Austin Mini at the present time which we refer to as our "real" cars, and keep in a garage. Then, we have a Ford Sport-Trac and a Miata which we refer to as "our throw-away cars". I wouldn't want to be without either type, but if the late ones give up or something else happens to them, I have a "so what" feeling...they are easy to replace...however, if the oldies got smacked or something, I'd be wallowing on the floor like a baby over my precious car, ha ! The old cars are so fabulous, but the new cars these days are near perfect for ANY occasion, so we're gona' stay with the "two-type" family thing. Love 'em all !

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                          The way I see it, the "once great" auto makers have had to adjust to be more competitive in the market place. It costs more than ever to retool a new car. So, the car makers have adjusted well I think. There's more competition from foreign makers and U.S. companies seem to be doing well.

Rog
                          You mean the two surviving (U.S. companies) out of more than 100?

EDIT: I am discounting low production specialty companies like Tesla (and previously Avanti).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think what we need is quality retro styling and mechanical simplicity. The Japanese love all things 60's from the USA, maybe they'll do something interesting. Of course, the Great Sleeping Monster is the inevitable invasion of Chinese made vehicles. Who knows what this will lead to. •••••

Comment

One reason cars seem to appear alike is that gas mileage in now a factor for manufacturers to meet. Think of a drop of water falling. Being a liquid it conforms to the shape necessary to pass though the air. Want cars to get better mileage..., make them in a similar shape to a rain drop (and still make it a functional car). Part of that process is the molded in bumpers that create smooth air flow. So, now you have a common shape and a common bumper blend. Lastly if a manufacturer builds a popular car others jump on the bandwagon and create something similar.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X