Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to the Fall Carlisle Sept 27-Oct1 ......Never attended.......what should I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the Fall Carlisle Sept 27-Oct1 ......Never attended.......what should I expect?

I'm attending the Fall Carlisle in late Sept. for the first time. I've been to the Fall Hershey meet, so I have had that experience. What should I expect to see at the Fall Carlisle in general terms and specifically Studebaker? I've been "told" the difference between Hershey and Carlisle is Hershey is predominately Pre-War, based on what I saw at Hershey I would agree, it was predominately Pre-War and Fall Carlisle I'm told will be more Post-War.
    Any advise /opinions, from those "That Have Been There and Done That" will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by JLB; 07-06-2017, 01:53 AM.

John
    I live about 40 min south of Carlisle and have regular attended both meets for years. If you are expecting to find Studebaker items there it is very unlikely. I have found items in the past but not so much anymore. It is also much smaller then Hershey, maybe 1/3 the size. I go there mainly to buy tools and supplies.
    Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Thanks Jerry. Wasn't really expecting a lot of Studebaker parts........but one never knows. Presently, I'm building a '57 Ranchero , and will be looking for Ranchero parts as well as Studebaker parts. Found some needed '57 sheet metal last year at Hershey. Regardless of what will be there, I'm going, and will cross it off my bucket list.
      Thanks
      John

Comment

John

Don't go expecting to find much in terms of Studebaker cars or parts. It is primarily a venue for highly
        popular collector cars: Tri-Chevy, Camaro, Corvette, GTO, Mustang, T-Bird, Mopar Performance. When I used to go, I could count the number of independent make cars of interest to me on one hand. For my money, Hershey offers more of interest.

Steve

Comment

Agree with Jerry. Been going to Carlisle shows since the first one in 1974. As you noted, Carlisle has no age restriction, so most vehicles and parts are post-war, and there will even be some recent cars for sale. It's not a show, it's a flea market and nearly everything is for sale. It's a great place to look for a low-mileage used car, and as Jerry said, stock up on supplies and tools. There will be a few Studes on the field, but almost no Stude parts -- Reedsville and York have bled off all the Stude parts vendors. The big literature vendors will have Stude lit. If you have any brand X old cars, bring your parts want list.

The above having been said, the internet is slowly killing shows like Carlisle, and the big vendors are slowly displacing the small-time parts collectors. It used to cost thousands of dollars to buy a Carlisle space from an exiting vendor -- now some go unsold.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. You have confirmed what I've been told to expect
            John

Comment

And for Studebakers only, there is still Reedsville in October.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with the above, but I have seen more Studebakers at Hershey than at Carlisle. I go to Carlisle only to pick up parts from Restoration Specialties, Boseh Polishing and Steele Rubber. I would recommend that you buy on the internet and ask them for pick up at Carlisle or Hershey. Save the shipping. Try to be there on Thursday, that way if it rains you can go on Friday. It has been cold as can be and as hot as Haties. Too many people on Saturday or Sunday. Try to be there at 8AM. Park on the grounds. I will be there on Thursday. If you want to catch a sandwich and swap notes, give me a call. Have fun.

Comment

Thanks Boyd..........as the date gets closer, I'll get back to you regarding contact information. As things presently stand, we ( 4 of us ) will get there Wed. afternoon and go directly to the event. All day Thursday, and Friday until about 3:00, and then a 9 hour drive back to Kentucky, thus avoiding the Saturday crowds.Got my fingers crossed regarding the weather.

Comment

Carlisle

Hope to see you on Thurs (Friday is weather is bad on Thurs). If we miss each other, have a great time.

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                    Thanks Boyd..........as the date gets closer, I'll get back to you regarding contact information. As things presently stand, we ( 4 of us ) will get there Wed. afternoon and go directly to the event. All day Thursday, and Friday until about 3:00, and then a 9 hour drive back to Kentucky, thus avoiding the Saturday crowds.Got my fingers crossed regarding the weather.

Comment

Not much Studebaker at either meet

I was in need of headlight rims, reflectors, and glass for the '39 CE, and found them at Hershey, but from vendors who also go to Reedsville or York (York, of course, no more).

Been going to Hershey (and, occasionally to Carlisle) for nearly 50 years, and the character of these meets has changed. Never were many Studebaker parts there, and even less now. If you go, and you find Studebaker parts, you should probably buy them if you need them.

Comment

Working...
                      X