Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV6 design - Hemmings article

Hello all,
    While researching about the infamous OHV6 cylinder head, I came across this 2006 Hemmings article:https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...n/1281808.html
    There are very interesting facts about the development of this engine and a lot of info I didn't find elsewhere.
    I just thought somebody else might be interested.
    Nice day to all.
    sigpic

Thanks for posting this well-written and detailed article. Perhaps someone can post a link to it on the SDC history or tech pages.
    The only thing lacking seems to be any mention of head integrity issues which presented under "severe" usage.
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Christophe,

Indeed, thank you. I agree with you, there will be many others who will enjoy reading this too.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
        There are very interesting facts about the development of this engine and a lot of info I didn't find elsewhere.
        Also a change in the method of lubricating the upper pushrod ball seat and rocker arm valve stem contact area was incorporated into the redesign of the rocker arm. The new style now allowed the use of a less-expensive adjusting screw.
        This partially explains why there are at least three different late V8 adjusting screw types.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed it. As it is an old article, I thought it might have not been published here. The amount of technical data is very impressive (at least, to me!) and I'd love to read such comprehensive work (regardless of the engine) more often.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
            Hello all,
            While researching about the infamous OHV6 cylinder head, I came across this 2006 Hemmings article:https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...n/1281808.html
            I just thought somebody else might be interested.
            Nice day to all.
            Very nice article. Makes me want to go out and buy another OHV six. I have owned two and had no problems with them and was quite satisfied. Both were convertibles, a '61 with automatic and a '62 with overdrive. The '62 was exceptionally nice- very adequate at highway speeds and very economical.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I found it interesting that development of the OHV 6 had been under way for 10 years before a design was released for production. I suspect that this had as much do to limited engineering and tooling resources as it did to a long and difficult development project.

It looks like the author has written a number of non-Studebaker technical articles for Hemmings. I wonder how he researched this article. I would guess there is a Society of Automotive Engineers paper out there that details engineering development of the OHV six that he referenced. I know there is an SAE paper for the Studebaker V8 and one for the Avanti.

Final question for those more familiar: Does the Stude six use a timing gear like its V8 big brother?

Scott Griggs
              Louisville, KY

Comment

I remember that Motor Trend had a feature article on the new Studebaker OHV 6 in '61. Sorry but I don't remember the month or issue. It was a good article as I remember.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by sgriggs View Post
                  Final question for those more familiar: Does the Stude six use a timing gear like its V8 big brother? Scott Griggs Louisville, KY
                  Yes. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm not very good at online searches, but I seem to remember many years ago that Studebaker, or someone at Studebaker, was awarded some engineering award for the successful conversion of the flathead 6 to an OHV. IIRC it was for the unique valve arrangement that was used to retain the small cylinder bore spacing. SAE comes to mind. Anyone else remember that or am I getting senile already?

Comment

Here is a link to the other 144 technical articles the same writer penned for Hemmings:https://www.hemmings.com/search_cont...%20T.%20Bohacz
                      I must leave now. I have some reading to do.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X