No announcement yet.

Washers w/ Wheel Nuts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Washers w/ Wheel Nuts???

Today I noticed that lug nut holes on one of my wheels (rear left) is quite worn. It looks like its bored out, and the wheel nuts go deeper than any of the other nuts on the other wheels.

Should I be worried about this? Any thoughts about using washers on the studs to prevent the wheel nuts driving so deep?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Nut - 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1755257 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Nut - 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1755258

Try replacing the nuts with Ford nuts, they're larger and shouldn't go through the hole as deep. You will need a 13/16" lug wrench for them though, the stock 3/4" Stude one will be too small, so don't forgrt to add one to the trunk, just in case.

Comment

I think I'd replace that wheel.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The big furd lug nut will work wonders.this has been the first part i always replace on a new acquisition. save that wheel and keep it on the car! while you are at it check out the lug nut selection at your FLAPS you might find something better. Luck Doofus

Comment

Could they be Ford wheels that a previous owner installed? Their holes would be larger and don't work well with Studebaker lug nuts. Never ever put washers on a rim of an old car since the lug nuts centered the wheel on the hub with their taper. Nowadays wheels are hub centered.
          Last edited by 41 Frank; 07-04-2017, 05:30 AM.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'd agree to step up to the bigger nuts.... was probably done in the past. If not so, check the back of the lug holes for cracks... is so, toss away.

Comment

UPDATE: Spoke to previous owner. He admitted that at one time he didn't realize the driver side of the car was left hand thread, and went crazy trying to "loosen" the nuts by turning them left. He realized he was actually tightening the nuts and drove the nut deeper and deeper with a breaker bar. Only the driver side rear wheel has the worn lug holes.

I will try the Ford nuts and replace them for all wheels.

Thank you everyone!

Comment

You probably won't find a left hand Ford nut, I've never seen one. Chrysler used left hand nuts but they were small too. I've always replaced the left hand lug studs with right hand ones when I've encountered them, change the VW bolts to studs and nuts too. All that left hand nut / bolt...etc crazyness is just a PITA.

Comment

Dorman part #611-016-BP, 1/2"-20R [righthand thread] 13/16" hex.
                  Dorman part #611-031.1, 1/2"-20L [left hand thread] 13/16" hex.
                  Both are 60 degree taper.
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

It looks like that wheel is junk-
                    I don't think the Ford nut will even take up the gap.
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The pic looks like it might be a styled steel Ford variety of wheel, hence the larger hole. I can't pin point the application. If you don't feel comfortable with the 13/16 ths Ford style nuts, it's time to look for new wheels. The only time to use washers with wheel nuts was the very old mag style such as the old US Indy Aluminum pieces but there can't be many of them left. ET Unilugs also used washers but they were the only way to attach the wheels and select the proper bolt circle.
                      Bill

Comment

NAPA carries Ford lug nuts with a hex that is necked down to 3/4", so you can keep your Studebaker lug wrench.
                        -Dwight

Comment

When my son was "learning", I told him to rotate the tires on the Stude and to torque them to the 73 lb-ft. After a couple hours, he came back in and proclaimed to me that he couldn't get the nuts to torque down tight. He was using the torque wrench, but they weren't tightening.

When I went out, he had flipped the lug nuts around and had the flat side against the wheel and he was chewing a hole through the steel rim.

After I came down off the ceiling, I apologized to him and as kindly as possible showed him the correct way the lug nuts on these old cars go on and to swap out the spare.

When I got a new rim from our parts place, I had my son swap the rubber from one rim to the other the "old fashioned way". That was his payback for learning........

After he explained to me why, it made sense. Up to this pint, he had never seen a steel rim with tapered nuts, only alloy with shank style "square back" nuts, so he assumed the square part went to the rim. I couldn't be mad at him. I didn't think ahead.

We threw the old rim away, as some of the holes were almost all the way through.
                          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

A new rim is really cheap for the learning experience you both got. He learned a lot about wheels and tires, and you learned that he did have logic for what he did, and was not the idiot you first suspected. Sounds like a win-win!

Wish I had a son to learn these things and carry on the Stude traditions...
                            Corley

Comment

I'm just glad he was smart enough to only do it on ONE rim before coming to me and letting me know that something wasn't right.

Yes, it was a cheap lesson. At first, yeah, I was really mad, but I QUICKLY realized it wasn't his fault. I also had all of my OWN failures that I had to show MY father and then realized I understood HIS reaction now........
                              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                              X