Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Mentors and Parts

Hello,
    I'm I high school student and recently acquired my grandfather's 1962 Studebaker Champ. However, he is not able to help me since he lives in a different state. Because of this, I've been on the search for mentors and parts needed for the truck. I most of everything I need, except for a few things such as the tail lights. However, my biggest worry is how much I can figure out from that manual and how I can find mentors to help me.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum,

Here is my best advice in no particular order.

-buy the shop manual, the chassis parts catalog and the body parts catalog. They show all the parts, what their correct name is and the part number. Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to assure that you get the correct parts.

-Start slowly, learn your truck. Get it stopping and running, drive it and fix the little things that need to be fixed as you learn.

-the vehicle does not need to be re-designed with parts from another brand. If you bring everything up to specification, re-bush the bushings and so on, you will have a reliable, well running and well driving truck. Studebaker engineers were professionals who knew what they were doing.

-do not take the truck apart. It's the thing that everyone seems to think of, BUT... It is one hundred time easier to take something apart than it is to put it back together. Leave the ground up restorations to the pros with the tools, knowledge and money to complete the task.

-Whenever you do disassemble something, do it with the idea in mind that you have to put it back together again. If you disassemble something, lay the parts out in the order they came off. Then, put them back on in the same order. That alone will save you lots of grief.

You are smart enough to ask for advice first, so you should do well.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-03-2017, 08:37 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Sayre,
      Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for advice and tips. Everything Roy said is true. The only things I can add are 1) join the Studebaker Driver's Club, if you haven't already. The monthly Turning Wheels magazine is itself worth the price. 2) Then join your local SDC chapter there in Iowa. There should be several other Students aficionados locally who can help you on your journey.
      One thing that Roy said bears repeating: there are plenty of Studebaker parts available. Don't feel compelled to replace parts (or the whole drivetrain) with something from a Chevy, etc. They are a dime a dozen. But what you have is unique. You won't see a Champ at every cruise in or car show, especially one with original Studebaker power. Ask me how I know.
      Welcome aboard!
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I would add. Keep the truck driveable. Make your repairs weekend projects ie take it apart, repair it, put it back together in a short period of time.

Comment

take a lot of picture before and while taking stuff apart. Much easier to reassemble.
          64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Welcome SayrePS
            i agree with what everyone else has said , my truck , a 49 1/2 ton needs basically everything , it is never going to be an award winner , BUT it does run ( barely ) the one thing i do try and follow is , that i never do more than one job at a time . i think most new comers to the hobby whatever make vehicle it is have grand illusions of tearing a vehicle down to take it back to show room condition and then find out 1 month into it they have nothing but a frame and a garage full of parts laying around taking up space and then feel overwhelmed and never finish it .
            I would listen to what Roy said about the manuals , but i have also found that using these manuals will require you to ask MANY questions as they are mainly for reference , as becoming mechanically inclined is not something you learn from a book but by experience .
            good luck , Blake
            btw , i need a mentor too

Comment

Welcome Sayre,
              I too own a 62 Champ, and my first car was a 62 Lark way back in the 70's. I agree with what the others have said, and will also suggest you visit Studebaker International at: www.studebaker-intl.com and purchase their catalog. You will be amazed at all the parts available for your Champ. I also suggest you check out Studebaker Truck Talk, http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885 a great place to get help with, and talk to other Studebaker Truck owners. And lastly, I invite you to join the Studebaker Truck Farmers at: http://www.studebakertruckfarmer.de/ over 600 Studebaker Truck owners who welcome you with open arms. There are no dues, no rules, just a bunch of Studebaker Truck crazy folks.
              If you can, how about posting a couple of pics of your truck, we'd love to see it.
              Best of Luck to you!
              Jim
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

If you cant find a Stude guy close by, look for a grandfatherly type old car guy.

If you will help him. He will help/teach you.

Thats the way alot of us learned.

Comment

Originally posted by SayrePS View Post
                  Hello,
                  I'm I high school student and recently acquired my grandfather's 1962 Studebaker Champ. However, he is not able to help me since he lives in a different state. Because of this, I've been on the search for mentors and parts needed for the truck. I most of everything I need, except for a few things such as the tail lights. However, my biggest worry is how much I can figure out from that manual and how I can find mentors to help me.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to our forum and community. We have a few young people like you hanging around from time to time.

A quick fix on the tail lights are the press-in truck tail lights available at any truck stop. The correct size is available. I know because my '60 Champ has them. This will give you lights at a very reasonable cost very quickly. When you install them do not cut the wires! Splice the new wires in using the blue squeeze splicers. These are available at any Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (or FLAPS as you often hear them referred to). Get the large multi-type selection tray with all the different little connectors. Then get the crimper tool for them.

Parts for your truck are readily available with the possible exception of brake drums and even those can be found if you look hard enough.

Follow Roy's advice. Sounds like you already have the truck shop manual? Read each section regarding whatever project (like Roy said, keep them small) through completely first. If you have a scanner, scan the pages you are using. This way you can carry only the needed pages out to the truck and if they get greasy or dirty, no big deal. You might also consider getting all three books for your truck on CD (or is it DVD) and just print out the needed pages.

Look into the Technical Forum (use the search mode or google search with Studebaker first) for information and guidance. If you can't find an answer, ask. There are a lot of people around here who love to help.

Gramps gave you a great truck. I do hope you have a great time getting it back on the road.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help! I've been researching the truck and looking for mentors for the past month, and I think I finally found one after going to the Good Guys Car show in Des Moines. Luckily, my grandfather was very good at finding parts for the truck, and from the looks of it I need some gaskets, but other than that I haven't found much I need. From what I understand though, the truck is fairly rare since it's also an automatic with factory air. Hopefully, I can get it running for a show next year (not looking for any awards). From the looks of it, the only nightmare is going to be the electrical system as I recently learned from RadioRoy that there is no fuse box, so I'm unable to follow the wires. The one picture attached is when we were bringing the truck back up from Texas and we broke down because of a loose wire.

Comment

Sayre, I have a 61 Champ. I live in central IL. Google says I live about 4 hours from you. If you have Champ/ Studebaker questions I would be willing to help you out. Just pm me and I'll send you a phone number.
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Sayre, the manuals are a good start. you can get them two ways. Many prefer the old paper kind. I prefer the manuals on CD. They are all on one CD for $20. Buy the paper manuals and they start around $35 ea. I like the CD manuals because I can print out what I need. Good luck on your project.
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Not sure If your grandfather did his own repairs on the truck, But was thinking that if he had, he may be able to give you some good advice over the phone. He might even enjoy being involved in the "fixing up" process of his old ride.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Congratulations on the truck. Champs are great vehicles and chances are you will have the only one at the car shows you will go to. This website is the greatest resource you will find so make sure to use it. When you have your VIN, make sure to add your info to the online registry. Good luck.

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to the forum SayrePS!

The Champ is VERY similar to the Lark for body parts (there are a few changes) and you have been given some great advice here.

I went to college in Ames and now live in the Kansas City area. I MAY have a source for a few parts for your truck, but I would have to look to see what there is. I don;t own them and it's a private individual that's only around certain times, so sometimes it takes a while to get parts.

Let us know or PM me what parts you think you need and I'll see if I can find out what there is.

Pictures. We ALL want pictures.

Read a LOT on this forum. There are LOTS of very good, very seasoned folks on here that LOVE their Studes. Don't get snarky on your comments, like you may on other forums, as most of the folks here don't sit well with that. (Not saying you do, just that it's common even for my son to do that...I even do it ....on other forums)

Most of us are very willing to help, especially if you can describe your issue. Learn the language and how something goes together and you'll be golden.

I also second (or twentieth) the suggestion on buying a set of Studebaker manuals including the repair manual, body manual, and parts manual, as well as an electrical one if it happens to be separate for the trucks. Another great manual for the Studes is the "Motor" brand manuals that you can find at used book stores, estate sales, and on the internet. Find one dated 1963 or 1965 for the best info covering YOUR year.

Good Luck!
                              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                              X