Curious engine code phone call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious engine code phone call

Got a phone call from a younger non-Studebaker guy who is looking at a '54 Hardtop.
    Told me the engine has supercharger brackets on it and so I asked him to read the numbers on the pad.
    He told me it was P29888. That seems wrong.
    He was trying to look without getting the seller excited that what he had might be unique.Seller is non-Stude guy,non car guy selling deceased fathers car.
    Wondering if more scrapping might turn that P2 into R2 and if that serial number would then be correct.
    I'll see the car if it is bought as the buyer wants to sell the rolling chassis.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Would not be correct for an Avanti engine, either R1 or R2.
    R1 would be Rxxxx if 63 or would use the 64 number scheme. R2 would be RSxxxx or equivalent 64 number
    Keep in mind that Stude only made about 4500 Avantis with engine numbers starting at 1001 with the last 800 or so having the 64 emgone numbers. P29888 would make it 56 289.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Do you know which supercharger setup it had? If the engine number is correct, it is a 56 289. The Avanti supercharged engine started with RS and the Golden Hawk supercharged engine started with PS so either might be a possibility, but the number is probably too high.

Comment

There was a whole lot that was confusing about this deal.
        The buyer swore it had a Dana 60 under the car however it turns out it is a Dana 44.
        As far as the brackets go he said they were on the passenger side of the engine...big spring etc.
        He took pictures and should be sending them to me after he is done looking the car over.
        Plans are to build a street rod with a custom tube chassis so the rolling chassis,dash and interior will be available if he buys it.
        When I get pictures I will see if I can post them.I think I have a flickr account.

Comment

Got the pictures.Appears to be a 1957 engine.Brackets are there,no supercharger.He told me that it was just the brackets.Relocated water outlet there.
          Has a floor shifter. He told me it was a automatic and I could see no pedals in the pictures but it looks to be a standard shift column. Might just be a old aftermarket shifter.
          More details when I get them.Click image for larger version

Name:	part0 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1715405

Comment

That firewall or inner fender mount remote Oil Filter reminds me of the Kid's car that posted here, that he inherited from his Dad I think, and was asking what Filter to use.

It looks like there is a Distributor Tach. Drive on it, which probably means a Hawk Dash.

Also it is, or was an overdrive Car, I see the O.D. Relay.

It is too bad he plans to RUIN this '54 Starliner hot rod.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The prospective buyer took the time to look up our local chapter and contact a officer to find someone(me)to see if there was interest in the parts he does not plan to use rather than just haul them to a recycling center. It is a overdrive trans.No Hawk dash though.
              We talked tonight and all he really wants is a fairly clean Starliner body shell.He would rather buy a shell than a complete vehicle.
              If one can be found in the 5 state area this car would still be for sale and someone else can buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                Got the pictures.Appears to be a 1957 engine.Brackets are there,no supercharger.He told me that it was just the brackets.Relocated water outlet there.
                Has a floor shifter. He told me it was a automatic and I could see no pedals in the pictures but it looks to be a standard shift column. Might just be a old aftermarket shifter.
                More details when I get them.[ATTACH=CONFIG]65275[/ATTACH]
                It seems some owner must have replaced the original engine and tranny with the '56 289" & auto. Then installed the supercharger mounting bracelet & aftermarket floor shifter, for the tranny replacement. No reason it couldn't be made to work that way? I don't see any pictures of the hood and can't see if anything was done to address the clearance issues?

Mark
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Bob if you get it contact me on the brackets and manifold I would be interested Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                    The prospective buyer took the time to look up our local chapter and contact a officer to find someone(me)to see if there was interest in the parts he does not plan to use rather than just haul them to a recycling center. It is a overdrive trans.No Hawk dash though.
                    We talked tonight and all he really wants is a fairly clean Starliner body shell.He would rather buy a shell than a complete vehicle.
                    If one can be found in the 5 state area this car would still be for sale and someone else can buy it.
                    I got a good deal like that one time from a fellow who was hot rodding a 58 and 60 Hawk. The deal consisted of two 289 engines (only 405 serial numbers apart) split front seat, under seat auxiliary heater, front suspension with brakes, and an automatic transmission. He even delivered it all and the total price was $200! What a deal!
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

He could go fiberglass. I know its not quite the same, but some of these finished cars look pretty good.http://classglassperformance.com/53%20Studebaker.html
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                      X