This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem: Forum Subscription for AOL members

A problem has cropped up on the SDC Forums relative to topic subscriptions.

It appears as though our SDC server and AOL are not playing nice together. If you are using an AOL email address, the email notifications you are supposed to receive for the topics to which you've subscribed are not being delivered at this time. This is true for all Forum members with AOL email addresses. Consequently, those email notices are being bounced back to me.

Unfortunately, my techies are gone for the weekend so I cannot seriously analyze and fix the problem until Monday. So, please bear with us and accept our apology for the subscription feature not working as advertised for you AOLers.

Because the emails are bounced back to me, it would be helpful if members using AOL could unsubscribe from your topics until I can get it fixed. Just go to the "My Subscriptions" link at the top of the forum page after logging in.

Thanks,

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Don't feel alone in the woods, Bob. This is a common problem in A-O-Hell.

I belong to five other forums and weblocations. All of them complain of the same problems. I'm getting out of AOL as soon as I can.

I actually had to open another mail box in Yahoo because of this problem. I suggest it to any other member. It's free and easy to use (not a plug, just a suggestion).

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Don't feel alone in the woods, Bob. This is a common problem in A-O-Hell.

I belong to five other forums and weblocations. All of them complain of the same problems. I'm getting out of AOL as soon as I can.

I actually had to open another mail box in Yahoo because of this problem. I suggest it to any other member. It's free and easy to use (not a plug, just a suggestion).

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

It appears as though our SDC server and AOL are not playing nice together.
        There are other issues going on with AOL, which is going to cause major GRIEF. I got a notice that AOL will accept e-mail or more specifically e-mail by and from anyone who wants to make up their OWN DOMAIN name. For example anyone can create a name thru AOL, using any domain they might think of. For example there is, by my reading the terms..... You can make a name like plumbingsupplies@bondobilly.com@aol.com.

This time last year they stopped access to all newsgroups, without warning. The browser suppplied by AOL will not read NG's also. My problem, and probably other will encounter that once the free AOL kicks in, it will most likely cause havoc.

Another horror, which I discovered while in Omaha is that these large providers, who own cable companies stop giving you access to NGs and other services once you leave their geographic coverage. I get my broadband from Optonline. when I went to the home page and signed in, they would not allow NG's or other services provided within your service area.

Bill

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

It appears as though our SDC server and AOL are not playing nice together.
          There are other issues going on with AOL, which is going to cause major GRIEF. I got a notice that AOL will accept e-mail or more specifically e-mail by and from anyone who wants to make up their OWN DOMAIN name. For example anyone can create a name thru AOL, using any domain they might think of. For example there is, by my reading the terms..... You can make a name like plumbingsupplies@bondobilly.com@aol.com.

This time last year they stopped access to all newsgroups, without warning. The browser suppplied by AOL will not read NG's also. My problem, and probably other will encounter that once the free AOL kicks in, it will most likely cause havoc.

Another horror, which I discovered while in Omaha is that these large providers, who own cable companies stop giving you access to NGs and other services once you leave their geographic coverage. I get my broadband from Optonline. when I went to the home page and signed in, they would not allow NG's or other services provided within your service area.

Bill

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell

Comment

Funny, I have had AOL since 1996 (which is what SBCA96 means : Santa
            Barbara CAlifornia 1996) and have never had any of the problems that
            my friends who continuously switch providers have had. Sure they are
            far from perfect, but name a provider that is. I get fast tech help
            at all hours of the night/day and for only 11 dollars a month. AOL
            also filters all known viruses out of emails, thats pretty sweet. The
            only issue I had with AOL was when I switched my DSL from Covad to
            Verizon. AOL failed to tell me that I needed to cancel the Covad DSL
            before the Verizon DSL could use the line.

Anyway .. hope you find out what the problem is Monday, seems related
            to the email you couldnt send to 'studedude1961'. I forwarded an email
            to you, with the correct email syntax. I didnt get a reply, maybe its
            also part of this problem.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Funny, I have had AOL since 1996 (which is what SBCA96 means : Santa
              Barbara CAlifornia 1996) and have never had any of the problems that
              my friends who continuously switch providers have had. Sure they are
              far from perfect, but name a provider that is. I get fast tech help
              at all hours of the night/day and for only 11 dollars a month. AOL
              also filters all known viruses out of emails, thats pretty sweet. The
              only issue I had with AOL was when I switched my DSL from Covad to
              Verizon. AOL failed to tell me that I needed to cancel the Covad DSL
              before the Verizon DSL could use the line.

Anyway .. hope you find out what the problem is Monday, seems related
              to the email you couldnt send to 'studedude1961'. I forwarded an email
              to you, with the correct email syntax. I didnt get a reply, maybe its
              also part of this problem.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
              X