Keeping Up Appearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Up Appearances

Did anybody else save these mailings? From early December 1963? This set was clearly sent to registered owners of Studebakers in the Los Angeles area. They came to my dad, addressed exactly same as the registration on the '55 Commander I was using at college.

There was a reprint of a full page ad from the LA Times. And there was "feel good" assurance in a letter from the regional dealer association. "We, the franchised Studebaker dealers, are conducting an IN BUSINESS SALE at all our agencies. ... it is possible that there may be a temporary shortage of Studebakers for a short time if sales continue at their present pace, but this would only be a short term basis as the new production lines will soon be open....Both the factory and ourselves fully intend to STAY IN BUSINESS for years and years and years and years and even more years." Sorry about the legibility of the text in the iPhone shots.

Keeping up a brave front, about their only option. Was something similar done in other regions? I happened to visit the parts counter at Frost & French the day they received the terse Western Union message in March of '66.
    Attached Files
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

I think I have a copy in my archives. Am sure Richard Quinn will have them.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Well they certainly had to have read the bad press their "survival chances" were getting, and felt they needed to quell some of the rumors.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I saw the title to this and thought it was a reference to a Studebaker appearing on a British sitcom.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          I saw the title to this and thought it was a reference to a Studebaker appearing on a British sitcom.
          I shamelessly borrowed the title. Hope you weren't disappointed.

Gil
          Gil Zimmerman
          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
          1956 Golden Hawk
          1958 Packard Hawk
          1958 President
          1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
          X