Studebaker a Canadian Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker a Canadian Car?

Well, it was - for a bit- according to the company's own advertising!

To all Canadian SDC'rs, have a happy Canada 150th birthday celebration, and please be safe if you're traveling this weekend (hopefully in a Studebaker). It's NOT raining somewhere!

To our wonderful American friends, please come north a bit this summer and visit us! As you likely know, your better dollar will give you great value here,too! Canada is great, and it's north, but it's NOT WHITE this time of year!

Inquire if the SDC chapters up here are having an event during your vacation time. We'd be glad to have you along (we did the same when we visited the States earlier this year and had a great time with the Big Bend Chapter folks!).

The main message is: we're close neighbors and friends. We'd be glad to have you visit, and in Canada we're celebrating our 150th anniversary this year (July 1st is the exact b-day). Have fun and be safe, everyone!
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Thanks for the invite, Roger. Us statesiders wish you a happy birthday! I do hope to get north of the border someday, and hopefully in a Studebaker!
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

It was: "Canada's OWN CAR"! In 1965 and 1966.

Have a Great Canada Day Roger, and all the rest of you Northern Neighbors!

In a few Days (3) you will be "HEARING" way up there, that it is Independence Day down here!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studebakers & the Canadian connection go back to before WW1 when they purchased the Plant at Walkerville, Ontario. Studebakers were made there right through the Thirties. The image is of an employee badge from those early days. Celebrate well for your 150th.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03338.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1715404

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Happy Birthday Canada,,

And you don't look a day older than 149 !

Comment

1964.5-1966 Studebakers were built in Canada by a US company. They are not any more a "Canadian Car" than a current Camaro or Challenger is a Canadian car simply because it was built in a Canadian plant by a non-Canadian company. Would one consider all of the Toyotas, Subarus, Hondas, etc. that are built in the US to be US cars?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We were talking about that at one of the cruise-ins yesterday; there really aren't very many "national" cars anywhere anymore...and haven't been for ages. My dad's '81 Pontiac, for example, was assembled in Ypsilanti MI, but the V6 under the hood came from a plant in Mexico. It could genuinely be said that that was a North American car, I guess, but that's about as far as it'd go. Even my Lark, which was assembled in Hamilton, ran (and still does--like an absolute top) on an OHV six that came from the South Bend foundry; so not solely a Canadian car. My '65 was all-Canadian as a finished product, but much of what went into it would've originated Stateside or elsewhere...

Comment

Years ago, when they were new, a friend had a "Made in America" bumper sticker on his Cordoba. Since all Cordobas were assembled in Canada, I told him that he was technically correct since Canada is in North America. He said that no one else had mentioned that.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I successfully entered a local British Car Show with my 1966. The rules, they felt, allowed a "Commonwealth" car. I do feel it IS a Canadian car since it was built in Canada, by Canadians, and incorporated a Canadian made engine. Plus, my car says "eh".

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    1964.5-1966 Studebakers were built in Canada by a US company. They are not any more a "Canadian Car" than a current Camaro or Challenger is a Canadian car simply because it was built in a Canadian plant by a non-Canadian company. Would one consider all of the Toyotas, Subarus, Hondas, etc. that are built in the US to be US cars?
                    Factually Gary is correct. We had no control in Canada over Studebaker's destiny. We decided to call it Canada's Own Car because from December 1963 onward we would be building all Studebakers for the world in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. We felt we could justify that decision since not only our 65 and 66 engines were exclusively Canadian-built but virtually everything else was sourced in Canada. Canada's Own Car was a pretty good advertising ploy for Canada, but most Americans weren't impressed.

Stu Chapman

Comment

That's probably why these were only oven out after SB PLANT closed
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1715414
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65288[/ATTACH]
                          This advertisement was probably the last one I released for publication. Thanks for the memory Dave.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                            This advertisement was probably the last one I released for publication. Thanks for the memory Dave.

Stu Chapman
                            I thought you may have been the man behind the message.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                            X