Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under-The-Manure-Pile-Behind-The-Barn-Find Stude

Hi All,

Wondering if any of you know the Stude in the attached photos. A friend of mine sent me these photos. Apparently a friend or co-worker of his inherited this car. The original owner, the current owner's grandfather, bought the car new and passed away in the late seventies. Apparently, he had a horse farm or stables or something like that. I don't know how true it is, but my friend told me that it had literally been dug out from under a pile of straw and manure behind a barn where it has been sitting for seven years. Supposedly it ran seven years ago when it was parked behind the barn and the pile of hay and manure sort of creeped over the top and down the side with time.

He apparently found it with the tires flat, put air in the tires and they held and then he hauled it up from southern California to someplace near the bay area. He hasn't attempted to clean it - just threw the cover over it. The owner supposedly has the title, registration and some other papers for the car.

It doesn't really look very special to me, just a typical four door with an automatic transmission. Seems like there are a lot of these around in the yards and on the net and they're in way better shape than this, but I'm no expert like some of you guys. Something I see that seems kind of out-of-place for a four-door - I see one of those little red, white and blue emblems on the front fender with an 8 in the middle, and a pair of crossed checkered flags with the V8 symbol in the center behind the back quarter window. Oh yeah, and front bucket seats with a console. Did Studebaker make some kind of sporty or performance four-door in the mid-60s (!!!), or is this just a case of an owner attaching emblems 'just 'cuz they're cool'?

Love the plate. Maybe it was a mule breeder that owned it? I can see a quadraped in the background of one photo that definitely looks like it's a member of the equine family - but I can't see the head clearly so I have no idea whether it's a horse, mule, donkey or a gruffalump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ManureStude1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1755209 Click image for larger version

Name:	ManureStude2.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1755210 Click image for larger version

Name:	ManureStude3.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1755211 Click image for larger version

Name:	ManureStude4.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1755212
    Last edited by hausdok; 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Mike, the way you see this Car is just how all of the DAYTONA Sedans came, all except the fact that someone as many have done, Painted the "8" Parallelogram Red and Blue on the 2 ends to simulate the Hawk Emblems.

That is a VERY unusually ordered '64 Daytona Sedan! Bucket seats and the Console in a 4 Door happened, BUT VERY seldom!

I believe there were more Cruisers with that option.

What I see that may make it even MORE interesting is Dual Exhausts, they were available on 259's, BUT much more common on 289's!

There were no Daytona 4 Door "Specials", and no need because all of the options on this car could be ORDERED.

A fairly RARE Daytona 4 Door Sedan:

Name:	64Daytona4drStratoBlue.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1715303 Click image for larger version

Name:	64Daytona4drStratoBlue3.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1715304

A Car I bought after the Fellow that bought it from the Guy who purchased it at the 2001 McDonald Auction sold it.
    Note the wide, center, semi gloss Black stripes on the side Mouldings indicating a "Daytona".
    The Guy I got it from also added Red & Blue to the White center Emblems.

Name:	64Daytona4drWhite.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1715305

And a Canadian version (late '64 2nd. Series) Daytona Sedan without the V8 on the Crossed Flag "C" Pillar Emblem. That is because in Canada there was a 6 Cylinder Option on Daytona's!

That Fact goes in my "What the heck were they thinking" File! A Sporty named Car with a 112 H.P. Six?
    Last edited by hausdok; 06-25-2017, 01:14 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response.

Now that you mentioned it, I think I described that emblem wrong. I'd seen it and just assumed that it was red, white and blue, because, as I said before I'm not an expert like most of you guys. So, I blew the photo up to about 400% and tried to get a better look at it. It's hard to tell, because of all of the (ahem) dirt, but now I think it's red, white and red and is not red, white and blue. Would that be the correct color scheme for that thing?

You know, I hadn't even noticed that second (I guess) rusted off tailpipe peeking out from under the right half of that bumper. I thought it might be a Daytona, because I hadn't seen a Cruiser, Commander or Challenger script anywhere; but, not knowing a lot about them I just figured I'd let you guys figure that out. I've sent him a request for photos of the serial number plate, the cowl tag(s) and the engine number, as well as more photos of the rest of the floor, underside, interior, interior of the trunk, torque boxes, etc. If anything, it looks like there is some salvageable stainless there, tail lights, etc. but without more photos and info it's hard to say if it's a viable restoration candidate - especially if the chassis is toast - but it might be good as a parts car though. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
      Kenmore, Washington
      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
      '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Actually Mike, I think that car may be a lot more Solid then it appears with all that ahem... Dirt.

The hole in the Door or some Bondo could be the worst of it, and totally fixable.

The way those Parallelograms were Originally, is off white around the Chrome "8" in the Center, and a Ribbed Silver semi chrome cast into both ends.

The reproduction version just has Silver Foil glued in the two ends.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich,

Thanks, not sure why he hasn't rinsed it off yet. Maybe he's been watching too many car shows and thinks the dirt will enhance its value.....or......he just might not have had a chance to do so yet.

My buddy sent me his phone number a while ago and I called the guy. He's of the opinion that it might fire right up like it did seven years ago. Says his grandfather died in 1977. I'm going to send him a list of things to check out and photograph when he has a chance.

Pretty nasty inside of that thing though. Not sure I'd want to plant my dainty bottom on that front seat - some rat nesting beneath the seat might lift up his head and take a bite out of crime. Phew, open all four doors, call the fire department and let 'em hose down that interior with enough pressure to turn it from a four door into a two door. LOL!
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Um... manure is really destructive. If this car was buried in it, even partially, I would very carefully examine the frame first, then go up. The driver's door looks to have a bit of damage displaying some bondo. Looks kinda nasty overall if you ask me... Do you know what manure smells like when it's damp on a really hot day? Yeah... that.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

anybody notice the license plate?

Comment

I'm all for originality and leaving things "as found" for a while, but if it were mine, I'm sorry, but the manure coating would have to be removed immediately!

Comment

That'll buff right out!

It ran when we parked it..........40+ YEARS ago!

Rinse it off, get pics of the VIN tag and Body Tag to see if it's "Special", then determine your plan of action.

Restore it or get it running and drive it like you stole it!
                  Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                  1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

May have some parts for it from the 64 Daytona 4 Dr. I'm parting out. Not sure the patina is the same, but I bet the parts from mine smell better.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

As for a Daytona 4 door I have seen a few but not that many, in fact I did own once but it came with out an engine the past owner said it was a 289 that his son took for his hawk, the car had bucket seats in plead colors all original and also power shift trans TT but drum brakes, car got parted out years ago and parts went every were most out of the country.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                        Um... manure is really destructive. If this car was buried in it, even partially, I would very carefully examine the frame first, then go up. The driver's door looks to have a bit of damage displaying some bondo. Looks kinda nasty overall if you ask me... Do you know what manure smells like when it's damp on a really hot day? Yeah... that.

Exactly why I hesitated to even click on this thread!!!! 'nuff sad stuff on the internet already.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Given the dual exhausts and the bucket seats, it would not surprise me to learn that this is a disc brake car.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Someone needs to pop the hood and reveal what motor has been sleeping under that hay pile that matches the bucket seats and duel exausts . R-1 or R-2 maybe???
                            NEIL G.

Comment

Working...
                            X