newman & altman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newman & altman

I was cleaning out a 57 silver hawk I just bought and found 4 N/A parts books 2 have dates on them 81 & 82 but the 2 thick ones don't ,is the company still around ?

It morphed into SASCO whose inventory was bought by Ed Reynolds.

Comment

The Parts are STILL in South Bend, IN, but they belong to Studebaker International.

Dino; you will find many helpful things in the Monthly Publication: "Turning Wheels" once you get signed up with the International Organization: "Studebaker Drivers Club", at a first year discount. You will be more than glad you did!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bought lots of stuff from Newman & Altman. In fact, was looking thru my book of invoices just today, lots from N&A starting in the mid-80s. Loved going to South Bend and visiting N&A - good times.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally, Newman and Altman was the Studebaker and Packard dealership in South Bend. After Studebaker closed down manufacturing operations in South Bend, Newman and Altman were parts suppliers. That facility eventually became part of Studebaker International. Their former parts building was torn down and a prison now sits on that property. That's the way I remember it.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
            Originally, Newman and Altman was the Studebaker and Packard dealership in South Bend. After Studebaker closed down manufacturing operations in South Bend, Newman and Altman were parts suppliers. That facility eventually became part of Studebaker International. Their former parts building was torn down and a prison now sits on that property. That's the way I remember it.
            Rog
            They already owned Standard Surplus Co. that sold off many excess and reject Studebaker Parts for many years prior to and after the Dec. 1963 Line shutdown.

All of THIS is True + they were able to purchase the contents of the Entire Studebaker Corp. Plant 8 Worldwide Parts Warehouse with it's Parts Dealer Network and all the rights, tooling manufacturing Plant & all associated with the Avanti and continue building the Avanti II's by 1966.

A couple of VERY entrepreneurial Guys.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Still retain receipts from Newman and Altman, Standard Surplus, SASCO, Special Interest Autos, Packard Farms and Studebaker of California; all now part of Studebaker International.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I worked for Newman and Altman in 63, servicing and selling Gravely tractors.

Comment

I own (since 1977) Nate Altman's 1970 Avanti II which he kept at Bob Brown Motors (for display, demonstration and personal use) for when he visited his daughter in San Diego.
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    They already owned Standard Surplus Co. that sold off many excess and reject Studebaker Parts for many years prior to and after the Dec. 1963 Line shutdown.

All of THIS is True + they were able to purchase the contents of the Entire Studebaker Corp. Plant 8 Worldwide Parts Warehouse with it's Parts Dealer Network and all the rights, tooling manufacturing Plant & all associated with the Avanti and continue building the Avanti II's by 1966.

A couple of VERY entrepreneurial Guys.
                    Rich, I recall seeing the N&A Avanti II catalogs and extensive fabric sample books in the showroom at Frost & French sometime in '66 or '67. Do you recall if the dealership actually took any orders for them? Those early Avanti IIs were rather attractive cars, still looked like Avantis!
                    Gil Zimmerman
                    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                    1956 Golden Hawk
                    1958 Packard Hawk
                    1958 President
                    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

As far as I know, the Part Owner and Manager Walter Bibbens did sign up as an Avanti Motor Corp. Dealer as we did sell that one Red one that was on the Floor and possibly a very few more, they did not sell nearly as well as the reconditioned GT Hawks we fixed up and put in the Showroom however!
                      We were also an Authorized Service Dealer for Avanti Motor Corp.

As you know, we (F&F) were the West Coast Warehouse for all of the Parts Dealers (Former Studebaker Dealerships for the most part) on the Western Half of the U.S. using Newman & Altman's and later their short lived Avanti Parts Corp. Studebaker Parts Catalog and dealer price sheets.

Every 3 or 4 Months they sent us a Semi Trailer full of Pallets and Pallet Crates full of NOS Parts which we unloaded with the old Studebaker Corp. Clark Forklift (not Clarke).

I remember the Pallets 3'X3'X4' high one full of '59 & the other '60 Lark Tail Light Lenses, they sold better than hotcakes!

The junkyards in the L.A. Area would even buy them because so many customers asked for them and all they had were of course smashed.

Just about every time we loaned out one of the 3 Green '57 President Sedan Loan Cars (2 Y Bodies & a W) to usually Engine Overhaul/Rebuild or Trans. overhaul Customers, they tried to BUY them as they drove like New, being very well maintained.

Didn't you get one a few times?
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-25-2017, 04:18 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Just about every time we loaned out one of the 3 Green '57 President Sedan Loan Cars (2 Y Bodies & a W) to usually Engine Overhaul/Rebuild Customers, they tried to BUY them as they drove like New, being very well maintained.

Didn't you get one a few times?
                        Only once. I was having the transmission in the '57 Golden Hawk rebuilt. And yes, I loved the '57 President!

(Edit) Fondness for that '57 contributed to our eventual purchase 25 years later of a nice Pres sedan (happened to be a finned '58). The loaner was an honest, upright comfortable sedan... reminded me a bit of the then-new Volvo 140 series, but with a great small block V8. Anybody who's spent a few miserable hours in a '57 Plymouth Belvedere will appreciate the '57 Stude sedans and wagons.

Gil
                        Last edited by riversidevw; 06-25-2017, 04:33 PM.
                        Gil Zimmerman
                        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                        1956 Golden Hawk
                        1958 Packard Hawk
                        1958 President
                        1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Here are some document that relate to the Studebaker parts history.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N&A1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1715314

Name:	N&A2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1715315

Name:	N&A3.jpg