A STUDEBAKER!!!!....no way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A STUDEBAKER!!!!....no way.

Took the GT Hawk out for breakfast with an old Studebaker buddy.....
    Stopped at the grocery store on the way home (Pepsi 2 liter bottles $.99....can't resist a bargain)....
    Lady drives up and asks about the car....
    I reply: it's a Studebaker....
    She: no way!
    Me: Yes, it's a Studebaker!
    She: no way!....that's a good looking car!....it can't be a Studebaker!...and drives off.
    Me:
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

No accounting for stoopid.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

What can I say, "Opinions and a$$holes, everybody's got one...and they all stink!".

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
        Stopped at the grocery store on the way home (Pepsi 2 liter bottles $.99....can't resist a bargain)....
        She: no way!....that's a good looking car!....it can't be a Studebaker!...and drives off.
        Me:
        Well...if you were a mean fella, (and I assume you're not)...You could've quipped, "If you were a Studebaker you might be good looking too!"..."A little paint here, a little body work there...who knows???"
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          No accounting for stoopid.
          So your view of an individual's intelligence is determined by their ability to discern automotive brands from the past?

Comment

A couple of years ago I stopped the '47 Champion at a Tim Horton's while heading out to a tour. One man who looked the car over carefully was so adamant that Studebaker was built by American Motors that he almost had me convinced.
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
              What can I say, "Opinions and a$$holes, everybody's got one...and they all stink!".
              I've always said "and everyone else's stinks!"
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Me:
                Too bad you didn't have enough time to show her the badge. These days we are all dealing with a very negative and inflexible attitude about many things, political and otherwise. Remember the phrase "My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with the facts?"
                peter lee

Comment

I had a similar thing happen a few years back. I stopped at a convenience store and gassed up my '39 Harley. When I went in to pay the kid behind the counter said "nice Indian". I said thanks, but it's not an Indian, it's a Harley.
                  He told me "no way, that's not a Harley!". I started to argue the point, but decided it wasn't worth my time. I told him thanks for straightening me out, and left.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

So your view of an individual's intelligence is determined by their ability to discern automotive brands from the past?
                    Ignorance or lack of information is not the problem. It's the WILLFUL repudiation of someone else's intelligence or information in view of the facts. Lou TOLD him it was a Studebaker after she asked, and she sneered in disbelief. If she thought she knew better, why the hell did she ask? THAT is stoopid.
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Twenty years ago while driving my cousin's '50 Maui Blue Champion Starlight coupe, I had stopped in a parking space and as I got out of the car, an elderly women stopped walking to her car at the rear of the car. "You have a beautiful Caprice there young man. You are taking very good care of it." Did not have the heart to correct her and simply said thank you and she proceeded on her way...

Comment

Me:
                        I've had several experiences like that, the last one just last week. I had my Wagonaire at a tire shop getting new Cooper whitewalls (plug for Cooper because they are the only one making whitewalls for the market). An elderly gent strolled up and looked at the car. He first asked me if it was a Plymouth. When I told him it was a Studebaker, he accepted that, but said he never knew Studebaker made a station wagon.
                        Another time was somewhere in Tennessee. We had stopped for the night at a motel and while I was carrying things in to the room a young couple stopped to look at the Avanti (on my trailer). When I told them it was a Studebaker, they were convinced that it was made by AMC. I let it go.
                        Further back, our chapter was on a fall tour. We were at the railroad at Strasburg, PA where they run tourist trains. It was so busy that the wife and I decided just to sit it out and wait for the group to get back. We were parked next to Bob Johnstone's '70 Avanti. A young couple came by and looked at his car. The girl asked the boy what kind of a car it was. His response- it's a Ferrari.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Just last week end while at the Placerville fair with the 90 Avanti 4 door not many if any called it anything but did ask about it and many said thet they really like the Avanti's when they came out but it wasn't until I ask them how many 4 doors have you seen? did they really look close to see the extra doors and then said never but it sure is a nice looking new car. new car not a 27 year old one.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                            Twenty years ago while driving my cousin's '50 Maui Blue Champion Starlight coupe, I had stopped in a parking space and as I got out of the car, an elderly women stopped walking to her car at the rear of the car. "You have a beautiful Caprice there young man. You are taking very good care of it." Did not have the heart to correct her and simply said thank you and she proceeded on her way...
                            In this case it may simply have been a typical elderly mental slip. I sometimes call my brother by our dad's name.
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                              Ignorance or lack of information is not the problem. It's the WILLFUL repudiation of someone else's intelligence or information in view of the facts. Lou TOLD him it was a Studebaker after she asked, and she sneered in disbelief. If she thought she knew better, why the hell did she ask? THAT is stoopid.
                              And what happens when the information being supplied is incorrect?

Comment

Working...
                              X