Adding rear seat belts on '63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Adding rear seat belts on '63 Hawk

Anyone added a pair to the back? Usually I just bolt them to the floor, but curious if there are mounting points for a factory accessory set?

Thanks

All 61 and later Studes, and I believe all 61 and later American made autos, are pre-drilled for rear seat belts; the holes, and captive nuts are already in place for lap belts. The bolts supplied with the belts fit the nuts (7/16"x20 IIRC). So its as simple as bolting them in.

Comment

Actually the factory located seat belt anchors began with the 1962 model year cars of all makes and models.

Comment

The rear seat belt anchors should have rubber plugs installed from the factory. They may be hard as a rock and difficult to remove, but they will have saved the threads in the anchors.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Anyone know what length are best? I see 60" and 74". Thanks

Comment

How big are your friends riding with you? Usually, 60" is plenty long for the back seat.
            Originally posted by Waylon56 View Post
            Anyone know what length are best? I see 60" and 74". Thanks
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Helpful hint: When you remove those plugs chase the threads with a tap (USA made) . They aren't usually too bad but can kinda crusty after sitting there unused for decades.

Comment

Also get under the car and verify the reinforcing plate around the captive nut is in good condition; especially in the front of the rear tire well. It has been subjected to all the road debris the tires have been throwing for more than half a century.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                X