No announcement yet.

Found old frame in woods - Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found old frame in woods - Studebaker?

I came across an old car frame deep in the woods, unidentifiable except for center lugs with Studebaker logo on them. Just curious about what year and model it could be, or if it is even a Studebaker. The logo appears to be very old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1754150
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1754152
    Attached Files

My guess is the frame is a 1920's Studebaker.

The Co. was Founded in 1852 building Wagons, Buckboards, Surreys, Buggies and every other type of Wagons, and are the only American Wagon builder to survive to build Automobiles until 1966.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice find! Now to dig it out and drag it home!
      Years ago, not far from here, we were walking deep into the forest and also came across an car frame deep in the woods. The one we found still had a motor and transmission in the frame. On further investigation we discovered it was a Oakland as the name was cast on the block.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The rims are likely from a later vehicle than that frame, probably mid 30s. Hard to tell but looks like there was a hitch added to the front axle. Probably a sign this frame was used to make a farm wagon. Common practice. Farm I grew up on we had a wagon where the "gear" under it was made from a 30s ford car axle pair. Sears sold a conversion kit even. We had another wagon "gear" Dad got from a neighbor that was made from a 1920s Dodge Bros. I was annoyed when he sold it from scrap over 20yrs ago and didn't save the "DB" screw on caps as those were worth more than the scrap value of the rest of it.

Over the years, the rims on these things would get changed out to usually smaller sizes as the cost/availability of cheap used tires to put on them changed. That Dodge frame I mentioned above had 16" rims that had been welded onto the original brake drums/hubs and were all crooked so the tires wavered around! I was told about a 2 wheel trailer they used to have (made from a front axle with the king pins welded in place) where grandpa sold or traded it for a different one solely because of the tire size was now hard to find or too expensive and the replacement trailer had a more common (at that time) tire.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Looks like it needs a little work.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
            Looks like it needs a little work.
            Rog
            Naw, once we get all the Studebaker Clarke floor polishers registered we will buff it out.

Comment

Hey!!! Find the hidden serial number. I'm sure Bob Palma could convince his good friend Richard Quinn to reveal when he stamped it, and give an eye witness recount of what it was the day it rolled out of the factory.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This reminds me of story I heard from a uncle of mine (husband of my mom's older sister). His family lived in Wisconsin and were not well off by any means. He was born in 1932 so this was probably in the 40s. Anyway, his dad would acquire cheaper beater cars for the family and cut them into pickups. One such was a '32 (not sure, maybe a '31) Studebaker President sedan. Must have been in pretty nice shape before becoming a pickup. One could imagine that it eventually ended up like this out in the woods of Wisconsin.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Now that you have found it what do you plan to do with it?

Comment

As I look at the pictures I realize it is mine. I forgot where I parked it
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      Start a registry for it!

Comment

Originally posted by 4jc8z View Post
                        Start a registry for it!
                        Yes, the frame registry! I have a 2R5 frame along with a 3E40 frame I could add.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                          I think it will remain one of my mountain bike trail markers - possibly minus the nuts if I remember to pack a large wrench next time.

Comment

take the wheels too..

Comment

Working...
                            X