Broken Crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Broken Crankshaft

The latest is that because I live in a resort area until the fall, that everyone is so backed up that it's better to wait till after the season to repair the engine. In the meantime, I've been told that it's OK to drive on short trips between now and then. that gives me some time to source a new crank, but I've been advised not to buy it until the engine's been disassembled, and also to see if I can scrape some moola together to pay for it.
    peter lee

Gee Peter, I hope everything works out. I suppose this is the kind of thing one must accept/expect when depending on others to do the work. If I didn't enjoy the diagnosing, tinkering, and challenge of doing my own mechanic work, I don't think I would ever own a vintage car, or machine of any kind. If I thought any engine of mine had a broken crankshaft, I would not venture out of my driveway until I was sure. Besides the inconvenience of a breakdown, in today's distracted traffic, lives are at risk just attempting to safely pull over.

In asking you to wait...I don't know if the business you are dealing with is really sincere about servicing your vehicle. On the other hand, he could be so busy, that he knows he can't give you the attention you deserve (at a fair price) until later. You are the one who knows, and we'll have to trust your judgement in that regard. In the intervening time, perhaps you can take care of some minor maintenance items. I hope it all works out for the best.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you are handy, have the tools, and a place to work, you could drop the oil pan and take a look.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

In your other thread on this subject, in one of the later posts your mechanic said it didn't make any noise when cold.
        Could it be a cracked torque converter drive plate? They can make quite a knocking sound. Much easier and cheaper to fix if this is the case.
        Just because your mechanic "thought" it was a broken crankshaft, I would not buy one until that is confirmed.
        I've been around Studebakers all my life, and I have seen some broken crankshafts, but it is pretty rare.
        Cracked torque converter drive plates are a more common failure.
        I've sold a lot of replacement drive plates to owners that were originally convinced they needed a major engine overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          In your other thread on this subject, in one of the later posts your mechanic said it didn't make any noise when cold.
          Could it be a cracked torque converter drive plate? They can make quite a knocking sound. Much easier and cheaper to fix if this is the case.
          Just because your mechanic "thought" it was a broken crankshaft, I would not buy one until that is confirmed.
          I've been around Studebakers all my life, and I have seen some broken crankshafts, but it is pretty rare.
          Cracked torque converter drive plates are a more common failure.
          I've sold a lot of replacement drive plates to owners that were originally convinced they needed a major engine overhaul.
          As often as we have discussed those flex plates, including the racket they make, I'm almost embarrassed we hadn't already brought that up. I think you may have "nailed it."
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

i had a broken flex plate in my Hawk and it made one heck of a racket! It sounded like the engine was coming apart.
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

If it is thought that your car has a "broken crankshaft", I would suggest not driving it at all. A possible failure mode would be throwing a rod, probably through the side of the block. If this happens, you will be looking for a lot more than a crankshaft and spending a lot more.

For some reason, I thought that your Hawk was standard transmission. If it is automatic, you MAY have a flex plate that is failing. All of the ones that I have had experience with sound more like a rod knock than a broken crankshaft. I assume that your mechanic has at least started the engine up.

It may pay for you to have your car transported to a mechanic that knows Studebaker engines and transmissions. I can think of a couple within 500 miles of you. It may end up costing you less in the long run.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bought a Ford 428 C.J. Ram Air motor for junk price 'cause I needed one to rebuild for a '66 T-bird. I was told it had a rod knocking! When I pulled it out and separated it from the auto-trans, I found the torque converter bolts loose on the flex plate. The only rebuilding I had to do was a gasket set! Not bad for $80. plus the gasket set. Also had a '64 T-bird that had a "rod knocking". The flex plate was cracked in a star pattern around the crank bolts. Goes to show, don't jump to the "worst-case" possibility. Good luck! -Jim

Comment

I'm reading and hearing quite a bit about the flex plate, which until yesterday, I was totally I had never heard of. It was also suggested that I take it to whoever rebuilt the engine, which I think I'm going to do. I much prefer to have the use of the car in the summer than leave it in the garage.
                  peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                    i had a broken flex plate in my Hawk and it made one heck of a racket! It sounded like the engine was coming apart.
                    That describes it exactly. Did you pay to have it replaced, and if so, how much did it cost?
                    peter lee

Comment

It was not very expensive. I got the new flex plate from SI for $35 and my local garage put it in. I probably had a $150 or less all said and done.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

If you go back to the original post number 1, Big trouble, there is a statement about a loss of oil pressure. A broken flex plate will make a bad racket but your oil pressure will still be good. On the 61 Cruiser, the idiot light would flicker at low idle but disappear once under way. No racket but was told later on that it was a broken crankshaft. The champ truck I sold for Kelly Marion's estate has great oil pressure and no noise at first then starts quietly build up then disappears. It is an automatic so everyone that has heard it says "flex plate" So I know this probably does not get you any closer but I would try to find a knowledgeable Studebaker member or mechanic that would be willing to come to the your home and do a good check. Yes a flex plate would be an easy fix but if it isn't that, at least you minimize the risk of major damage and expense.

Anyone in Peter's area that can help a fellow Studebaker owner?

Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ

Comment

Narrow down exactly were the offending noise is emanating from via the use of an auto. stethoscope, or at least a long screwdriver. This should identify if the noise is coming from the flex plate, the rear of the engine, the front of the engine, etc. (No, I will not volunteer to go to Long Island, NY).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

might want to check flex plate; they do break. Cranks on the other hand don't.(unless there was a defect in the casting) If there is a significant drop in oil pressure you have a bad bearing. If it knocks on accelleration its likely a main and if it knocks when you back off the throttle its a rod. Don't run it. It'll likely need the crank turned if they left you any metal last time. Do not run the engine! You know it must be pulled so nothing is to be gained by dinking around with it; all you can do is make a bad situation worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                              If you go back to the original post number 1, Big trouble, there is a statement about a loss of oil pressure. A broken flex plate will make a bad racket but your oil pressure will still be good. On the 61 Cruiser, the idiot light would flicker at low idle but disappear once under way. No racket but was told later on that it was a broken crankshaft. The champ truck I sold for Kelly Marion's estate has great oil pressure and no noise at first then starts quietly build up then disappears. It is an automatic so everyone that has heard it says "flex plate" So I know this probably does not get you any closer but I would try to find a knowledgeable Studebaker member or mechanic that would be willing to come to the your home and do a good check. Yes a flex plate would be an easy fix but if it isn't that, at least you minimize the risk of major damage and expense.

Anyone in Peter's area that can help a fellow Studebaker owner?

Bob Miles
                              Tucson AZ
                              The last couple weeks, he has been living under said truck. It actually went down the road for the first time few days ago. Still smells like desert rats. Was not the flex plate; it was the timing gear and something else that was broken off in there, Not 100% sure

Comment

Working...
                              X