No announcement yet.

53 Commander Oil filter options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 53 Commander Oil filter options?

In the 70s my dad had a bypass filter installed on the firewall. I can't find a cartridge for the oil cleaner via the cross ref sources. Any one have ideas? 703.470.1300

No filter on my 54 Commander, either, but my 55 has the gravity feed canister next to the oil filler tube. I'm sure you can pick up a canister and just feed the lines to it.

- - - Updated - - -

The stock gravity feed canister cartridge is available almost everywhere. Some people used to use a roll of toilet paper.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by dand1 View Post
      In the 70s my dad had a bypass filter installed on the firewall. I can't find a cartridge for the oil cleaner via the cross ref sources. Any one have ideas? 703.470.1300
      I caught an interesting word in your statement... Oil "CLEANER".

The ONLY Oil Filter I know of that was actually labeled as such was the "Frantz Oil Cleaner", these use Toilet tissue Elements and would be distinguished by a large round column up the center the size of the Original pre-1990's Tissue cardboard core.

These are much finer micron size filtration filters than standard automotive type, but now require an adapter ring because current Tissue cores are Larger to hold less tissue.

Since that name was "controversial", the Sky Corp. later changed the Decals to say "Frantz Oil Filter", even though they believed and could prove that the Tissue did "Clean" the Oil so it did not need to be drained.

If that "Cleaner" was merely a TYPO, just ignore this.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wouldn't use Modern Tissue (toilet) paper...

Ever notice how easily that stuff disintegrates before flushing?

what do you think it would do in oil?

I don't like the thought of having toilet paper working its way thru my engine.

Comment

LOL. Some "used to" use it. The replacement filters that fit that canister are so easy to get, you could eBay your TP, sell it to the Russians, buy enough real filters to last you years and feel good about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
            I wouldn't use Modern Tissue (toilet) paper...
            Ever notice how easily that stuff disintegrates before flushing?
            what do you think it would do in oil?

I don't like the thought of having toilet paper working its way thru my engine.
            NOT a problem.
            It is all about what Type/Brand you buy.

You must avoid the super soft, puffed up, scented, colored, quilted, degradable in Septic Systems, etc. stuff.

The Scott 1000 works perfectly when properly loaded, and the proper tightness, plus the Dual, fine screens in the base prevent any loose paper, also there is a perimeter of the canister, paper sealing ring.

No problem at all in over 40 years of use on multiple personal cars and trucks.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by dand1 View Post
              Check the diameter of the filter can. Usually the cartridge was a Fram C4, but sometimes a C3.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The TP version looks something like this, installed on my '55 engine. Hooks up to the factory oil supply and return connections. This was done about eight years ago; factory filter setup had been removed for some unknown reason. I assume these Frantz filter kits are still available.
                Attached Files
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Easy solution.

Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
                  The TP version looks something like this, installed on my '55 engine. Hooks up to the factory oil supply and return connections. This was done about eight years ago; factory filter setup had been removed for some unknown reason. I assume these Frantz filter kits are still available.
                  A Fram C4P should work great. That's what I've been using on my own '53 Commander [232 V8] and it works great. Available for about $10.00 at your FLAPS but they might not have it in stock; so you might have to order it and return the next day.
                  Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Al from Eatonville View Post
                    A Fram C4P should work great. That's what I've been using on my own '53 Commander [232 V8] and it works great. Available for about $10.00 at your FLAPS but they might not have it in stock; so you might have to order it and return the next day.
                    That probably will not work, as we do not know WHAT this Firewall Mounted Oil Filter Canister is!
                    Probably Aftermarket, Walker, Wix, Purolator, Frantz, Stilco, whatever.

It COULD be a Fram F3 or F4 as was used by the Factory and Dealers on Studebakers but they were always mounted on the Engine.

If it is, yes the ELEMENT would be a C3 or a C4, usually a C4 on a Commander.

We will need a photo posted here to I.D. it.
                    FYI: We answer all questions right here, to help others with the same issue. Usually, no one will call you.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-12-2017, 09:23 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You and many others have helped me, Rich. What a great resource this forum is.

Comment

Working...
                      X