Interesting Studebaker Muscle Car Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Studebaker Muscle Car Facts

I found this collection of 50 Studebaker Muscle Car Facts while doing a web search today. It contains a few errors, but seems well researched and written. There were some oddball bits of trivia I had never heard before. If it has been posted before, I apologize. I conducted a search of the SDC forum site and didn't find mention of it.

Fact 951: Every muscle car enthusiast knows what an STP sticker looks like. But is there a Studebaker tie-in? Yes. STP oil treatment was first introduced in 1952 as a product of Chemical Compounds Inc. of St. Joseph, Misouri. An abbreviation for Scientifically Treated Petroleum, STP was a thriving business when Studebaker president Sherwood Egbert […]

Scott Griggs
    Louisville, KY

I've also heard people say that STP use to stand for "Studebaker Top Performance".
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Thanks for that link sgriggs ! Very nice !

Comment

I was at Barnes and Noble shopping for train books for the 6 year old grandson with Jenny and decided to take break in the magazine section. July Hemmings Classic Car I started to "look" at did have an article by one of the regular columnist taking a new tack on the first muscle car and it was the 1956 Golden Hawk. I was at about the second paragraph when Jenny got me. I did not buy the magazine but may go back later to get it or find it. I mean after spending $75.00 on books I should have sprung for the price of the mag but didn't

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
          I was at Barnes and Noble shopping for train books for the 6 year old grandson with Jenny and decided to take break in the magazine section. July Hemmings Classic Car I started to "look" at did have an article by one of the regular columnist taking a new tack on the first muscle car and it was the 1956 Golden Hawk. I was at about the second paragraph when Jenny got me. I did not buy the magazine but may go back later to get it or find it. I mean after spending $75.00 on books I should have sprung for the price of the mag but didn't

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ
          Bob,
          That is a good article by a non-Studebaker guy. He makes some great points to remember at your next car show or cruise-in.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

STP stood for "Scientifically Treated Petroleum"...

Comment

Looks like there is a ton of good info there on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                Bob,
                That is a good article by a non-Studebaker guy. He makes some great points to remember at your next car show or cruise-in.
                While Pat Foster, the writer of that HCC article, primarily plies his trade in AMC products, it should be noted he wrote "Studebaker: The Complete History."
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                  While Pat Foster, the writer of that HCC article, primarily plies his trade in AMC products, it should be noted he wrote "Studebaker: The Complete History."
                  That's right. I forgot about that. I even have that book. Thanks for the reminder Mike.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That explains all the obvious ERRORS! STP = "Studebaker Tested Products" ... REALLY?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      That explains all the obvious ERRORS! STP = "Studebaker Tested Products" ... REALLY?
                      Read...or re-read fact 951 AND fact 952 cheers, junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                      X