Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily drive a stude?

Hey yall!!

After driving my President around all weekend I have come to the realization that driving my 2008 pickup is boring as hell!! I now want to sell it and find an old classic to drive. I am currently talking to a seller that has a 52 Studebaker pickup for sale. I want to pull the trigger and buy it, sell my newer truck, and drive the old pickup everyday.

Does anyone here drive a classic as their daily driver?

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

If you are seriously looking to daily drive a Stude, make sure it is a V8. Also, not a good idea to rush the sale of your modern truck. The Stude bug that has bitten you may fade as quickly as it took hold in the first place.

Not many folks on the planet actually drive their Studes daily, though there are a few. But you can get lots of advice here on driving yours. Good luck
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-29-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I haven't driven anything but s Studebaker since the mid 80's. My Lark has been more than reliable for over 20 years. 1 water pump failure.

Not for everyone, but perfect for me. I don't drive every day any more, but it is all I drive.

If you drive a car once a year, all sort of unresolved problems arise, bur constant use will find the short comings for correction. When new, these cars were use as daily drivers and are quite capable.

Comment

I have a '55 President Sedan and a '61 Champ. I drive one or the other everyday to work which is 26 miles away. My commute is NEVER boring. Both vehicles are very dependable. I keep them in top shape with regular maintenance just as I did when I was a young driver. I do not miss my former modern car and truck. I thought I would miss things like A/C, cruise control, etc. After a week I never even thought about these features anymore.
        I say go for it. If you are like me you will never regret it. Just keep your vehicle in good working order and you should never find yourself stranded.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I drive my 63 R1 Cruiser most every day, when not driving it, my daily driver is a 70 Chevy pickup with a 402 big block. I don't drive the Studebaker in the snow, but I do the 70 truck.

Comment

I say go for it! Have been tossing this idea around as well on my end... Only downfall here in Wisconsin is the abundance of snow and salt for 5 months a year.

Comment

Looks like the OP is in Oklahoma, so the mild weather may be more conducive to driving a Stude year round. How about kids? I ask that due to safety, and being outvoted as they grow older.

Studes are quite receptive to drive-ability improvements, safety upgrades and added creature comforts. But that is time consuming, and can be a bit expensive. In any case, would recommend holding onto the modern truck till the bugs are ironed out of the 1952 truck. Very few Studes are turn key, or road ready upon purchase, regardless of what the seller says. Just a few precautions for the OP, so he goes in with both eyes open.

Its also lonely out there on the highway, if looking to meet Studebaker brethren along the way. In around 700,000 Studebaker miles since 1985, I can probably count on two hands, the number of fellow Studebaker drivers met on the road. That does not count, when 25-50 miles from an SDC meet. They seem to come out of the wood work then.
              OTOH, I have probably seen at least 10,000 thumbs up, or AOK hand signs from brand 'x' drivers, all over the USA. LOL
              Last edited by JoeHall; 05-29-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I second not selling your modern truck for a while.

The Stude will need repairs.

When I buy a old car my first trip is never father than I can push it back. Then it becomes a weekend car. After all repairs are made then it becomes a full time car.

When driving old cars you need a back up car when repairs are needed.

I would consider having a Stude as a good weather car versus a full time car.

Comment

I sold my brand X in 1972. We sold the wife's brand X in 1976. Been driving Studes only since then. We've clocked over a million miles, brought our now grown-up kids back from the hospital when born in Studes, put a camper on the back of the Champ, towed a boat, and done pretty much everything with them that other people do with their ordinary cars. Gotta tinker sometimes. More time consuming is adding A/C, Turner brakes, etc.

All in all, no regrets. And think of all we've saved in depreciation by not having to buy a new car every 5 or 7 years.

Comment

Why a V8? If he lives where there aren't a lot of hills to climb a 6 works fine. I had a 57 Silver Hawk 6 with automatic and I was fine in the Bay Area in the 1980s. Sixes are NOT obsolete!!
                    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    If you are seriously looking to daily drive a Stude, make sure it is a V8. Also, not a good idea to rush the sale of your modern truck. The Stude bug that has bitten you may fade as quickly as it took hold in the first place.

Not many folks on the planet actually drive their Studes daily, though there are a few. But you can get lots of advice here on driving yours. Good luck
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My two 1950 Commanders and 1952 Land Cruiser were my only cars in the later 60's and early 70's, and they served me well. Last year I was hoping my modern car would self destruct so Studebaker would once again be my daily driver, but then reality set in, and I just don't have the heart to destroy a Studebaker with road salt for 6 months of the year. I also like the great fuel economy and air conditioning, and reclining seats in my 1999 Olds. I find my Studebaker 6 cylinder engines have all the power I need, so I've never felt the need for a V8, even though my 52 Land Cruiser had plenty of power.

I just chanced insurance companies and now have a limit of 1000 miles a year on my 1950 Champion. I might check into upping that limit though.

Comment

Yes, new cars are boring, but they're also safer, more economical, less polluting, more reliable, and have better handling, brakes, and steering. Upgrading and old truck will be very expensive, and ultimately what you'll have is a new truck with an old body. I had a near-death experience with my Sky Hawk and it was then that I realized how dangerous driving an old car can be. I have only lap belts which just serve to keep me in the car during a crash, but no three-point belts, air bags, or padded surfaces. I was lucky to be able to stop in time, but the wheels locked up and I could smell the burning rubber as I finally skidded to a halt. Sure, my car's all steel and not plastic, ant the other car might have been badly damaged, but with all the safety gear on his BMW, he would probably have walked away while I was on my way to the ER. Think about it.
                        peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                          Yes, new cars are boring, but they're also safer, more economical, less polluting, more reliable, and have better handling, brakes, and steering. Upgrading and old truck will be very expensive, and ultimately what you'll have is a new truck with an old body. I had a near-death experience with my Sky Hawk and it was then that I realized how dangerous driving an old car can be. I have only lap belts which just serve to keep me in the car during a crash, but no three-point belts, air bags, or padded surfaces. I was lucky to be able to stop in time, but the wheels locked up and I could smell the burning rubber as I finally skidded to a halt. Sure, my car's all steel and not plastic, ant the other car might have been badly damaged, but with all the safety gear on his BMW, he would probably have walked away while I was on my way to the ER. Think about it.
                          I cannot argue with anything you say here. Many others understand your logic, and made choices accordingly over the years. I totally understand. OTOH, Studes are probably as safe as motorcycles, and there are still millions of those on the road. But the real, "rice rockets" are mostly ridden by the younger crowd. I used to ride Harleys of 1960s-1970s vintage. Studes are like those Harleys were: ride awhile, the fix awhile.

In the late 1990s, I chatted with an elderly couple at the SDC Meet in Texas. I had driven to the meet from SoCal in the 56J. They said they'd love to have driven their Stude to Texas, but seldom drive it anywhere, due to safety concerns, and creature comforts. I understand their position more and more as time goes by. But for now, will continue to exercise my Studes every chance I get. LOL

Comment

I have been driving my truck as a daily driver for 5 years now. ('57 Transtar Deluxe) The biggest problem I have with it is I cannot just hit a store and go. Someone will always come over and check it out and have some stories. I now allow 5- 10 minutes extra for each venture out of the house. The town is only 12 miles from my house and the truck has a V8 and auto trans.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              ...Studes are quite receptive to drive-ability improvements, safety upgrades and added creature comforts. But that is time consuming, and can be a bit expensive. In any case, would recommend holding onto the modern truck till the bugs are ironed out of the 1952 truck. Very few Studes are turn key, or road ready upon purchase, regardless of what the seller says. Just a few precautions for the OP, so he goes in with both eyes open. ...
                              exactly the route that I chose...coming up to a year now and no regrets, and now just about ready to part with my 'new-ish' 2008 Chevy truck with only 21,000 miles on the clock. Now that I no longer have to work for a living I find it that this is working for me. If I had to still do the daily grind and drive to work I may choose to drive modern but that's only because of the harsher winter climate that I live in. Last winter though, the old farm truck worked like a charm, but still needs work. In less than a year I have put more money into the old clunker than I purchased it for, and it still needs more work...electric fuel pump upgrade, new wood for the box floor, install a block heater and on goes the list. I love driving it, and never find it boring. My biggest headache is convincing Mrs. Junior this is a good idea...she has an issue with zero sound system, rattles, crappy defroster, no fuel injection, no power steering or brakes etc...but me, well I have no regrets. As an aside, my oldest daughter christened the truck the 'Badger'...for any of you folks who know of the 'honey badger' video on youtube you'll understand. This old farm truck don't give a s*it about nothing...lol cheers, junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X