Problem Child Behaving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Child Behaving!

The last 10 times I have driven my problem child (64 GT Hawk R2) everything has worked fine....nothing brokeor fell off! Could it be that she has turned a new leaf or have I just jinxed myself?
    Actually, she drives pretty nice now....she sure gets a lot of "thumbs up".
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

You have all the bugs worked out now....enjoy! (but carry spare everything)

Comment

Sooo true!
      Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
      You have all the bugs worked out now....enjoy! (but carry spare everything)
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Did you knock on wood when you said this?
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Perhaps you should name her Serenity after the ship in the programme Firefly. Then again, if she's behaving herself now... maybe not.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My 54 wagon was unreliable for a while after building it. By keeping after it and fixing everything that broke, eventually it became a very reliable driver. It actually became reliable sooner than I thought, because I did not trust it at first.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-30-2017, 11:29 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
              The last 10 times I have driven my problem child (64 GT Hawk R2) everything has worked fine....nothing brokeor fell off! Could it be that she has turned a new leaf or have I just jinxed myself?
              Well, now you've put the devil on the wall, haven't you?

More likely, you've been beavering away on the details and caught up with the gremlins and banished the last...for now.

Just be a good Boy Scout, you'll be fine.

Comment

What about that louse nut behind the wheel?

Comment

Like all Women, just as soon as you think she's behaving herself......... BAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    When I got my 1957 Silver Hawk back on the road, as it sat in the junk yard for years, the last plates on said 1967, so I replaced floors , this and that, overhauled ever thing, but still every time I went some ware it caused a problem, the first two years I could not trust it. Then as I started to feel better about it and now having put on about 10,000 miles, it started to behave. I did carry a spare this and that in the trunk, and every time I crossed into the USA the border police would ask the same question, Are you going to sell those parts?? no that's my insurance policy , If I have them I never need them. And that was the case. Now I have driven The Hawk over 70,000 Miles and its been good and a lot of fun. Give it a grease job and oil change as needed, check it over and drive some more. So drive yours, enjoy the thumbs up, have fun.
                    Evan Severson

Comment

Don't worry, many will still like it if they see it setting beside the road. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                        What about that louse nut behind the wheel?
                        There is no hope for that guy....have you seen inside his house?...total nut case indeed!
                        Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 10-21-2017, 06:13 PM.
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Good for you! We will now refer to you as "R2 Lou!" Your perseverance has paid off. Bring it up to the Wheelbarrow races so the public can "oooh and awe! "
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Wow!...it's been over six months and nothing else has gone wrong.....drove her almost 300 miles in attending the South West Zone Meet...she was on her best behavior! Next: paint.
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Hope springs eternal! In the 12 years I've owned my '63 R2, she has never let me down. One time I left the lights on and ran the Optima battery down, but that was my fault. (BTW, never let an Optima battery get run down unless you have the necessary equipment to recharge it!!). Once, on a 300 mile club run, the "Press-Your-Luck" alternator quit but I had enough time to turn around and get back home. I always carry an extra R style fuel pump, spare water pump, electric fuel pump with some clip leads, hose & clamps, extra bulbs, "U" joints, misc clip lead jumpers, alternator, multimeter, spare MSD coil and some other stuff, just in case. So far, never had to use any of it....

Comment

Working...
                              X