Nice Looking Conestoga Wagon - Modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Looking Conestoga Wagon - Modified

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm usually not into modified/hot rodded cars, but this one looks pretty nice to me. Just a bit pricy... and it's from my part of the country, but I have never seen it in person, nor know the owner/seller.

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1713822Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2618.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1713823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2617.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1713824I saw that one at the September 2016 NSRA show in Burlington Vt. It is a beautiful car.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Don't like the head or tail light treatment. Neither "fit" the body style to me.
      Inside isn't too bad, under the hood is nice.

Mike
      (a three conestoga owner)

Comment

This may be blasphemy but kind of reminds me of a Chevy Vega wagon.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post

This may be blasphemy but kind of reminds me of a Chevy Vega wagon.
          Me too! Especially one a bit later than the one in the picture.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Didn't that thing used to be painted silver?
            Or is it something similar?
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Nice engine compartment but very pricey

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Me too! Especially one a bit later than the one in the picture.
                First thing that came to my mind was that it looked like a Vega to me.

Comment

Thanks for posting Dan. But, due to your title, the word "Modified" caused me to resist wasting my time by clicking on the thread. A "mental" roll eyes, as in "not another modified," and move on. However, this morning, sipping coffee, I decided to take a look. I agree with you, it is "Nice Looking." Unlike a lot of other modified vehicles, I believe (aesthetically) the builder did no harm to the original lines of the car. Especially, for those of us familiar with Studebaker vehicles, it is unmistakable what it is (was). Sitting in my living room, viewing pictures on a computer, everything I see looks very well executed. While some have pointed out other (Forgettable) vehicles it reminds them of, for many of us, those vehicles were so forgettable, we don't remember them anyway.

Your statement, "a bit pricey" is a bit of an understatement. Some of the comments in the seller's ad, I take as a "bit" of a red flag. Such as "built by a rod shop in South Carolina. There are lots of "Rod Shops" here. Also known as "back yards." Where a collection of concrete blocks constitute a "car lift." The "foot path" to the nearest Harbor Freight may be noticeable for the more experienced shops. So...built by a rod shop in South Carolina (or name any other state) does not advance the appeal. Nor does the statement "well over $90 thousand K spent on this build," and "motivated seller," as if you are proud that you are prepared to lose a ton of money on the vehicle.

So, for me, If I saw the car at my local Burger joint cruise-in parking lot, I would stop & admire it. But, from reading the ad, I'm wondering what the real story is.

Motivated seller? Did he go bankrupt because of the build? Divorce? I hope it is not a tragedy, like medical expenses for a sick child, but there must be more to the story somewhere. Before I'm gonna shell out that much money for a "cruise-in" parking lot star, I'm thinking I could buy a late model super duty pick up truck, motor home, or build a better garage to house the junk I currently enjoy.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It was built by Glenn Dodd at Carolina Rod Shop in Piedmont SC.
                    It's changed hands in the $30k range several times; so price is up there.
                    It's built to Glen's usual high standards; also suspension and brakes dialed in at Carolina Motorsports Park (road racing course) as per Glen's usual practice.

Comment

Originally posted by KCoupeNewbie View Post
                      It was built by Glenn Dodd at Carolina Rod Shop in Piedmont SC.
                      It's changed hands in the $30k range several times; so price is up there.
                      It's built to Glen's usual high standards; also suspension and brakes dialed in at Carolina Motorsports Park (road racing course) as per Glen's usual practice.
                      That's good to know. I have met and had many conversations with Glenn. (However, not recently) My impression of Glenn is that everything he's done was always "first Class." Not just a local reputation, but a national reputation, and many of his creations have made covers of big time publications, posters, etc. Even so, I'd still like to know, "the rest of the story" (or maybe not.)
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think the pinstripe on the side would look better if it just followed the original scallop down to the rocker.

Otherwise a lovely car!

Anybody know what those headlights are. The trim rings remind me of the ones on my 39 CE.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The look like '37 Ford.

Comment

It is a beautifully done custom, but just not a style I would like to own......especially at that price.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

The headlights, which I think are BMW Mini, are the deal-killer for me. And the wheels.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X