LED bulb options for a 6 volt positive system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: LED bulb options for a 6 volt positive system

As I am going through and working on getting my 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe, I am finding that some of these bulbs are a real PITA to get to. I really didn't think it would be as hard as it has been to find and/or track down bulb replacements in an LED equivalent. I thought I would list out the regular bulbs I have for mine as well as other bulbs for cars with other options that I know of. If anyone has a source on the equivalent LED's that would be great.

I don't know how "complete" this list is, so if I am missing some or have some incorrect, please let me know.

STANDARD

Surely there is a place that makes a positive ground 6 volt LED version. I was able to find one or two sources for some of the bulbs in LED, but they had bad reviews. I will add them until we can find better sources. My thinking behind this is two fold. On one hand, the draw can be reduced for these old girls and secondly, they will last longer which means we won't have to tear into them as often.

LED
      • Qty 4
      • Licence Plate / Front Parking (Depending on application, can be #1154)

• Qty 2
      • Under Dash / Courtesy

• Qty 4
      • Rear Turn Signal / Backup Light

• Qty 2
      • Front Parking (Depending on application, can be #63)

• Qty 6
      • Rear Stop / Rear Tail / Front Signal
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

You are doing a lot of research, but for maybe the wrong reasons? Certainly LEDs will bring down the load required of the electrical system. The greatest benefits will be for headlights and taillights.

But... if you are doing it for longevity, you needn't bother. Most bulbs on cars last for years. I owned my Datsun 280Z for twenty-three years and in that time I replaced one taillight bulb. I replaced the headlight bulbs because I wanted Halogen lights. My Honda Accord is eighteen years old and I've replaced one headlight bulb and one taillight bulb.

Are you making more work for yourself than is really needed?

I agree with headlights and taillights if you can find them, because they might retain their brightness even if the voltage sags slightly. (I say they MIGHT, but have never tested that theory). But the dash lights and such? They do not draw THAT much and last a long time.

Just my opinion and I won't press it any further.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I've been searching for various 6 volt positive ground bulbs so I can make a set of turn signals for my Model A, and I've also discovered they are hard to find.

I think I've given up on that and finally bought a 3 amp 6 to 12 volt converter, which I'll only use for turn signals.

Comment

Hey Roy,

Thanks for the input. I guess you are correct when I stop and think about it. My initial thought was the draw and added brightness. The longevity was added last minute. I didn't think about the lifespan of the standards. Good points.

Just like with my vintage hi-fi gear I rebuild, I go back with NOS bulbs because it doesn't look "right" with LED's in all cases. I still think that the added brightness with the higher lumen LED's in a car would benefit the driver. Dash lighting, courtesy lighting, etc.. I may look into building an LED headlamp for a 6v+ 7" sealed beam. I know for SURE they could use the help.

Comment

Hey TW,

Just remember that if you go with LED for your flashers that you place an inline resistor with them so that you don't end up with a Christmas tree car. LED's typically chain and link up so one flash will cause them to all flash.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Just my opinion and I won't press it any further.
            Don't ever worry about pressing in any of my threads. I am trying to learn as much as possible as I am rebuilding this car. This is my first Studebaker. I am infatuated with it...lol

I take everything in. It's all good information. Thanks

In fact, you may know, but would something like this be a simple "plug and play" type?

Last edited by Bmallett; 05-25-2017, 06:34 AM. Reason: Question with sample

Comment

They look like plug and play. I would look at the depth of the bulb. It looks like it protrudes farther back into the mounting socket than a standard sealed beam bulb does. You could ask the vendor if you can return it if it does not fit. He probably has no idea whatsoever if it fits a seldom heard of off-brand like Studebaker.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Ha! I was just more concerned with the 6v + setup more than anything. Would love to get more light out in front of me at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
                  Ha! I was just more concerned with the 6v + setup more than anything. Would love to get more light out in front of me at night.
                  I'm surprised at this statement. In the late 60's and early 70's my two 1950 Commanders and my 1952 Land Cruiser were my only daily drivers, and I often commented on how well the headlamps lit up the desert and highway 54 by El Paso. Sure couldn't have asked for anything better.

Comment

I don't think this is going to work with positive ground. Since led bulbs are actually diodes my assumption is that they will be polarity specific. In other words any bulb socket that grounds to the chassis will be in your case reverse bias to the led's. The characteristic of a diode is that it will only pass power in one direction so if it is connected backward no power will flow and the circuit will not function. I have no experience with led bulb conversions so if I've missed the mark please correct me.

Comment

Hey TWChamp... They are decent, but I replaced them in a friends and was surprised at the difference.

@mrholmquist, You are both correct and incorrect. Most LED's are polar specific. However, there are several manufacturers that have created positive ground system LED replacements. There are others that have created bi-polar LED's which will work for either system.

Comment

Tungsten bulbs do emit a substance which leaves a coating on the headlamp reflectors, and this will make the light dimmer with age, until the filament gives out. Might be worth a new bulb if they appear too dim, but have good voltage at the bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                        X