Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude + 4 kids? What did they do "back in the day"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude + 4 kids? What did they do "back in the day"?

I'll try to make this kinda coherent, but it's possible I haven't had enough coffee yet for that... (grin) Oh, and maybe this isn't in the right forum either.... Off to a great start!
    OK so our "fleet" is almost paid off, and since "The Boss" got to pick the last 2 vehicles, it'll be my turn to choose something. I've always wanted a Stude (of any sort, I'm not picky) but I'd like at least the possiblilty of bringing my whole "herd" with me in it. Which would greatly increase the likelihood of me actually getting whatever I can find, if we all can use it. I know families used to be bigger than they are now, and 3-row SUV's and minivans were kinda thin on the ground when new Studes were an option. I'm assuming a "family man" would be looking at a wagon, or at least a 4-door... something. (And I want a Stude, not a "Ranch Wagon", or I wouldn't be asking here, right?) I know a modern car would be "safer" for regular use, but for nice summer driving I'd at least be getting seat belts. I don't want to start an argument about how safe an older car is, I know what I'd be getting into. I grew up in the 70's, sort of before universal seat belt use, and definitely before car seats. We had a string of Beetles, Vegas and a Gremlin before my parents got a Malibu wagon. I remember riding in the way-back of the wagon, and apparently rode above the engine in my parent's Beetle a lot, as well. My neighbors growing up had 4 boys and a girl, the girl rode up front in the F100 they had, and the boys all rode in the bed together (they at least had a topper!) Nobody I knew, used the seatbelts. I can't imagine any of that going on today, without a visit from Child Protection Services... My dad has said his dad had a couple Buicks and Cadillacs over the years, but none of the kids got to ride in them ever, if they all went anywhere it was in the Chev 210 4-door, and the 4 kids piled in the back. (Neither of my mom's parents drove, so she didn't have any cars+kids experience before I came along).

Short version:
    1. What Stude is most likely to fit 6 somewhat small people?
    2. When these were new, if you had a big family (more than the 1-2 kids that seems usual nowadays) did you buy something else, or just make the kids share the backseat?
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

You do present a quandary. My first choice would be a 1964,65,66 four door station wagon. That said if it has a third seat, I would not travel far with anybody in that seat. I would get an automatic tranny car with a 289 V8 and a full front seat, not a two seat set up. This would allow your smallest kid between Mom and Dad in the front seat. Then the other three could sit in the second seat. Your other choice might be a larger four door sedan. I would say a 1964-66 Cruiser. These cars also have a good amount of space in the seating area to follow the same scenario as described above. I would install seat belts for everybody. Saying that there could be a problem with the middle of the front seat. I have put three point belts in my Cruiser. They come from Juliano's Street Rods. In the middle front seat there is no way to anchor a three point belt. You might call Juliano's ask what they would recommend. Others on the forum might have plausible suggestions. Good luck with this project.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Three in the front seat and 3 in the back seat, same as they do today with a sedan or crew cab pick-up with a front bench seat.
      Drive safely and take care of what you can.
      Nobody, no way, can account for what an idiot might do behind the wheel to put your family in jeopardy, and that goes for today's cars too.
      Most accidents happen within 10 miles of home, so park your Studebaker at a friends house at least 12 miles from yours and drive your family in your new car to it before you start a trip. That alone eliminates 80% of the problem....
      Just saying, don't be pessimistic on your desire to own an older, classic car. Be optimistic that 50 years from now, your new car won't even exist. The plastic will have distorted and the cheap electronics will have failed 30 years ago and it was crushed to make more throw-a-way cars.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

To add to Joe's thoughts, I would also consider a 4-door sedan or wagon of earlier vintage, say mid-fifties onward. Like you said, seat belts would be almost mandatory. And I'm less opposed to the third seat than some. A whole generation survived them without the benefits of belts. Naturally as a father you will be careful, so I needn't remind you of that! Get the car you want and have some Studebaker family fun!
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I like the later model Cruiser 4-door/wagon idea with shoulder harnesses for all but the front middle passenger, just like modern cars. That gives you the better brakes and running gear than older models. They were capable and comfortable cruisers with A/C and decent size for your family like Joe suggested. Seats were pretty comfortable on the upscale models also.

Pretty nice car to run the family around in.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7821.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1713742-55 4d works fine too, it's all about what one might want & how much one can concentrate on keeping out of way from those who consider cardriving a 2:nd thing when they're out actually driving a car...

Reading others posts I "just had to" go back here & write that I used to sit on the rear seats pillow in our -55 Commander coupe, that's what it's for, right?
            Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-25-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Karen and I have 4 children. We traveled in our 1947 Studebaker Champion 4-door sedan to many car shows and meets. Our longest trip was to the SDC International in Marlborough, Massachusetts in 1990 --- that was a 1,700-mile round trip. At the time, the children were 8 to 14 years old.

I had 6 sets of seat belts installed in the car. The smallest child usually had the middle of the front seat.

One time we visited a Studebaker parts vendor. After giving me my order, he said, "Here, you might like these", and handed me a set of genuine Studebaker child-proof rear-door locks, which I gladly bought and installed. These were an option introduced by Studebaker in 1948 for use with cars having "suicide" rear doors.

Now that motor vehicle laws require that young children ride in properly-installed safety seats, it may be more difficult to arrange seating. That would depend on how well the child seats fit on the bench seats, and whether strong-enough anchoring points can be found.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

When I first saw your post, no one had responded. I wanted to, but don’t know you, nor am I familiar with where you live. So, I thought I should hold off commenting too soon. Instead, I began to think about my childhood, and our actual experience as a large family cramming ourselves in cars now considered “vintage.”

We were a family of eight. Two parents, and six kids, with only eight years separating us from the oldest to youngest. (No twins) Three boys and three girls. (Me, being the forth born.) My dad, became (thanks to mom’s cooking) rather rotund in his prime. A little over six feet tall, huge chest, and a girth to match. Think about a vehicle of that era (any vehicle), no air conditioning, eight sweaty, hot, individuals. The oldest got the window (shotgun) seats, and us remaining (throwaway middle) kids were smothered in between. Of course, the “baby” got to sit on someone’s lap next to a window.

Everybody was sweaty, but it was all we knew. We sang songs, played games, and picked on each other. Besides the familiar “are we there yet,” as the trip wore on, there was the other familiar declaration from Dad, “You keep that up and I’ll pull this car over and wear you out!”

Just a small sample of family trips...”back in the day.”

So, I clicked on your profile, in an attempt to gain a clue as to what kind of experience might motivate you. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing compared to many of us, you are relatively younger than most here. I clicked on your photo bucket link, and played all 209 of your photo’s as a slide show. By the mix of photos, I have concluded you like ‘em all. A real Studebaker fan!

Therefore, I have a suggestion for a satisfying “family” experience, with certain conditions. Taking into account the rather level layout of your geographical location, I think any of the larger sedans, Land Cruiser, Commander, from 1947 forward would suit you. The qualifications are that you have enough mechanical aptitude to handle the quirks, problem solving, and tinkering cars of the era require.

The other and more difficult to control/predict, is “Family Buy-in.” Just because you have the Studebaker “bug,” is no guarantee your mate, and kids will. For some, today’s passion often becomes tomorrow’s discard. I acquired the green 55 Studebaker truck in my signature pic over 40 years ago, ‘cause it was a good deal at the time. Little did I know, it would ignite a lifelong passion. For others around me, not so much. While they tolerate my diversion, I often spend time pursuing it alone. I appreciate the times my loved ones share the experience with me, but never demand their participation. We have made it work for over four decades.

So, choose a vehicle you can enjoy alone or with others. If the rest of the family joins in, consider that a “bonus.” Oh...and for the kids, from experience, that time is SOooo fleeting...build those memories and cling to them! Good luck, I look forward to the stories.
                Last edited by jclary; 05-21-2017, 01:13 PM.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John's post just reminded me... a saying caught my attention years ago & I don't mind stick'n to it, & so I do:
                  "You owe your kids a bizarre childhood!"
                  Yep!
                  Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-03-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Our family also consisted of eight. Two adults, one girl, and five boys. Early on it wasn't bad as it was just me first, then my sister arrived (after dad came home on leave). Then after the war more babies showed up and the Champions became quite snug. The newest addition always rode in the front seat between Mom & Dad. The rest of us, in the back seat. Many a family trip was interrupted by a angered father pulling the car over to give someone a swat. Then sometimes when the guilty party wasn't identified, it was a Three Stooges swat, everyone in the back seat got it!
                    For you, a Wagonaire or Cruiser would be my suggestion. Only wished Studebaker had offered a Champion wagon in the 1948-1952 model years!
                    Also I just remembered, my Dad sometimes would stick me up on the rear window shelf.
                    Lots of room up there in those Studebaker's!
                    Last edited by 57pack; 05-22-2017, 06:38 PM.
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thank you everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                        I had 6 sets of seat belts installed in the car.

How hard was that? I've only ever had maintenance stuff done to my cars, where do you even go to have your car "modded" like that? Also, where did you get the belts from?

Comment

This isn't going to be much help, but...
                          "Back in the day" our family of 6 went cross-country in our yellow '54 Conestoga. Dad bought a cooler that plugged into the cigarette lighter, and it sat on the transmission hump. It was filled with water or ice, and was a swamp cooler. We took turns sitting in the middle seat, iirc. We also put the rear seat down, put blankets on the floor and napped or played in the back of the wagon. This was standard procedure at the drive-in movie also. No seat belts! We lived to tell the story; once, in bumper to bumper traffic (nothing new) dad accidentally tapped a '56 TBird in front of us. I was in the middle, and got a shiner from hitting the dashboard.
                          Those were the days!

Comment

The later Studebakers had seat belts standard in the front and optional in the rear, enough for 4 people. By adding 2 more belts to the existing factory installed, anchors you could easily have 6 belts and do it yourself. If you're not that handy, any decent mechanical shop can do it. If you need seat belts, check with any of our fine Studebaker venders, ebay or most any flaps. If the Studebaker you get doesn't have the factory anchors, the belts usually come with the mounting hardware and instructions printed in several languages. All that requires modification is holes drilled in the floor for the attaching bolts and washers. Word of caution, make sure the area of floor is not rusted out or poorly patched.
                            Originally posted by Daan View Post
                            How hard was that? I've only ever had maintenance stuff done to my cars, where do you even go to have your car "modded" like that? Also, where did you get the belts from?
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

When Studebakers were new, there were roughly 1/3 off the amount off vehicles on the road as compared to now. People were also likely not to use seat belts or child seats.

Buying a Wagonaire for a family of six as a daily driver will mean your wife will be doing all the driving in whatever she has. Will she be happy with that? The term "Happy Wife, Happy Life" applies here. If I were you, I'd get a loaded up Dodge Grand Caravan and keep everyone happy. As for the Studebaker urge, buy the toy separate. If that means the Dodge is a couple years old, so be it.

I'm a lover of all cars not just Studebakers. If I was looking for the vintage family hauler (toy) for 6, I'd look at full size Chevys. Most of them can be had reasonably, and the aftermarket suppliers support them. I will never again by a vintage car with out support. Personally, I'd look for a '59 to '65 Impala wagon (by whatever name they called them) and fix it up for car shows. These will fit six easily and won't break the bank.

I've had the urge for a vintage "company car". This means a 4-door, usually white and middle of the price range. Again, because of support, I've been looking for a '62 or '63 Bel Air. But I have had a little '64 Dodge Dart with a broken torsion pop up. It's the right color, the interior is nice and I might try to steal it. If I can't get it at the right price, back to the Chevy search I go.
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X