Stude 289 V8????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude 289 V8????

I have acquired a 289 Stude V-8. Truthfully i dont know squat about this engine but was looking to use it in a rat rod project but i have also acquired a ford flathead so i think im going to use that. The 289 that i have is totally complete from original carb to oilpan and included the transmission. My question is are these engines rare, are the parts hard to come by and i might be interested in holding on to this engine for a later project like the 31 model a i have. any advice or help with this engine would be helpful. im totally new to Studebakers and like i said earlier i dont know anything about them. Everything is in great condition looks as if rebuilt recently and it runs actually took it out of a running car. not sure what year the motor is either it has a stromberg aerotype carb on it if that helps. but any help would be appreciated thanks

[}]

289s were made from 1956 to 1964. The 259, 224, and 232 V8s all have a similar appearance, and were made off essentially the same tooling. 289s are somewhat sought after in the Studebaker community, since the supply of N.O.S. 289 cranks has dried up.

The best way to date the engine is to find the engine number, which is stamped into a machined pad on top of the block, just forward of the driver's side of the valley cover. Find that number, and report back with it. Studebaker consistently used "I" for the numeral "1".

It's a good, tough engine. Longer stroke than the 289 Ford. Has good low-end torque, and should make about 225 HP with a 4-barrel carb in stock form.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

289s were made from 1956 to 1964. The 259, 224, and 232 V8s all have a similar appearance, and were made off essentially the same tooling. 289s are somewhat sought after in the Studebaker community, since the supply of N.O.S. 289 cranks has dried up.

The best way to date the engine is to find the engine number, which is stamped into a machined pad on top of the block, just forward of the driver's side of the valley cover. Find that number, and report back with it. Studebaker consistently used "I" for the numeral "1".

It's a good, tough engine. Longer stroke than the 289 Ford. Has good low-end torque, and should make about 225 HP with a 4-barrel carb in stock form.

Comment

They make a neat hot rod motor...

If you want to be "different", chances are you'll be the only one there with a Stude in your rod...not so if you use the flathead.

Bearings, gaskets, rings, pistons, timing sets, valves, etc. etc. are easy to come by from many of these vendors...

Post the engine number here and we can tell you the year. It is a STAMPED number on the top, front, driver's side of the block (horizontal machined surface)

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

They make a neat hot rod motor...

If you want to be "different", chances are you'll be the only one there with a Stude in your rod...not so if you use the flathead.

Bearings, gaskets, rings, pistons, timing sets, valves, etc. etc. are easy to come by from many of these vendors...

Post the engine number here and we can tell you the year. It is a STAMPED number on the top, front, driver's side of the block (horizontal machined surface)

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's what you will need to answer in order to sell it quick.
            1) Where is it? (Chula Vista I presume, but it still needs to be asked)
            2) 2 nuts holding valve covers on, or four nuts.
            3) Oil filter on top (in front) or on the lower RH side of engine)
            4) A/T, or manual trans.
            5) If a manual trans, is it a 3spd, a 3 spd w/overdrive, or a 4 speed (T-10)...(or maybe a truck trans)

Location is the most important thing, because that engine/trans package weighs in around 750# together.

There is a market for your engine, especially if it is running.
            Stude 289 crankshafts are selling for around $300 or so, so your pricing should start right around there.
            You might be surprised.
            Good luck selling it.
            Thanks for taking the time to offer it up here!
            We appreciate that.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rat_rodding54

I have acquired a 289 Stude V-8. Truthfully i dont know squat about this engine but was looking to use it in a rat rod project but i have also acquired a ford flathead so i think im going to use that. The 289 that i have is totally complete from original carb to oilpan and included the transmission. My question is are these engines rare, are the parts hard to come by and i might be interested in holding on to this engine for a later project like the 31 model a i have. any advice or help with this engine would be helpful. im totally new to Studebakers and like i said earlier i dont know anything about them. Everything is in great condition looks as if rebuilt recently and it runs actually took it out of a running car. not sure what year the motor is either it has a stromberg aerotype carb on it if that helps. but any help would be appreciated thanks

[}]
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here's what you will need to answer in order to sell it quick.
              1) Where is it? (Chula Vista I presume, but it still needs to be asked)
              2) 2 nuts holding valve covers on, or four nuts.
              3) Oil filter on top (in front) or on the lower RH side of engine)
              4) A/T, or manual trans.
              5) If a manual trans, is it a 3spd, a 3 spd w/overdrive, or a 4 speed (T-10)...(or maybe a truck trans)

Location is the most important thing, because that engine/trans package weighs in around 750# together.

There is a market for your engine, especially if it is running.
              Stude 289 crankshafts are selling for around $300 or so, so your pricing should start right around there.
              You might be surprised.
              Good luck selling it.
              Thanks for taking the time to offer it up here!
              We appreciate that.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rat_rodding54

[}]
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

thanks for the reply. the only reason i was shying away from it was cause the rebuild kit i found for it was 1600 bucks and im like jeez that why i was figuring it was rare. on the pic of the rat rod up top what kind of intake is that i like that. ive just had a hard time trying to find like finned valve covers for it and basic aftermarket products. thanks again

Comment

thanks for the reply. the only reason i was shying away from it was cause the rebuild kit i found for it was 1600 bucks and im like jeez that why i was figuring it was rare. on the pic of the rat rod up top what kind of intake is that i like that. ive just had a hard time trying to find like finned valve covers for it and basic aftermarket products. thanks again

Comment

Short answer - it's a great engine and parts are readily available. It's a stout piecve to be sure. That's why it's the heaviest "small block" around. LOTS of metal in it. Factory supercharged in some years with hardly any changes of the normally aspirated editions. THAT says STRENGTH!
                    The serial# would tell us what year car it's from and whether or not it started life as a 289. That number is STAMPED, not cast, into a small, machined pad on the top front of the block - to the driver's side of the oil filler pipe (assuming there is a pipe). 289 and 259 would appear IDENTICAL outwardly save for the first digit of that number. P for 289 and V for 259.
                    The Aerotype name you mention can be a deceiving clue as Stromberg used that name on several models of carb. And they used the right-angle air horn style of WW carb from '53 thru '58, so there's an outside chance that the engine (based on that siomple clue alone) could be a 232cu.in. variant that was used from '51 thru '54. Again, the aforementioned serial# will help identify it correctly. Good motor - either way!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Short answer - it's a great engine and parts are readily available. It's a stout piecve to be sure. That's why it's the heaviest "small block" around. LOTS of metal in it. Factory supercharged in some years with hardly any changes of the normally aspirated editions. THAT says STRENGTH!
                      The serial# would tell us what year car it's from and whether or not it started life as a 289. That number is STAMPED, not cast, into a small, machined pad on the top front of the block - to the driver's side of the oil filler pipe (assuming there is a pipe). 289 and 259 would appear IDENTICAL outwardly save for the first digit of that number. P for 289 and V for 259.
                      The Aerotype name you mention can be a deceiving clue as Stromberg used that name on several models of carb. And they used the right-angle air horn style of WW carb from '53 thru '58, so there's an outside chance that the engine (based on that siomple clue alone) could be a 232cu.in. variant that was used from '51 thru '54. Again, the aforementioned serial# will help identify it correctly. Good motor - either way!

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, but if it runs - why would you need a "rebuild kit"? One thing we preach here is that too many folks take the "lets-replace-everything" approach when it's RARELY necessary!

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah, but if it runs - why would you need a "rebuild kit"? One thing we preach here is that too many folks take the "lets-replace-everything" approach when it's RARELY necessary!

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

there is 4 nuts holding the valve covers on it. chula vista is sub of san diego california. the tran is manual and couldnt tell ya if its 3 speed or 4 speed not sure the only thing on the tranny is the linkages, the whole clutch pack is intact. ????? if that helps at all. its got a 2 barrel stromberg on it. like i said i have no clue about this engine. thanks again for all the replies

Comment

there is 4 nuts holding the valve covers on it. chula vista is sub of san diego california. the tran is manual and couldnt tell ya if its 3 speed or 4 speed not sure the only thing on the tranny is the linkages, the whole clutch pack is intact. ????? if that helps at all. its got a 2 barrel stromberg on it. like i said i have no clue about this engine. thanks again for all the replies

Comment

Working...
                              X