Disc Brake Wheels - Picture Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Wheels - Picture Request

I'm looking to buy a pair of Studebaker wheels for disc brake cars. The potential seller I'm talking to doesn't know the difference between disc and non-disc wheels and I don't have any pictures to send to him. Could someone post a picture of a Stude disc wheel?

P.S. - I know that other brand and aftermarket wheels can work, but I want to use Stude dog dish hubcaps on a disc brake car.
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
    I'm looking to buy a pair of Studebaker wheels for disc brake cars. The potential seller I'm talking to doesn't know the difference between disc and non-disc wheels and I don't have any pictures to send to him. Could someone post a picture of a Stude disc wheel?

P.S. - I know that other brand and aftermarket wheels can work, but I want to use Stude dog dish hubcaps on a disc brake car.
    This is an original wheel off my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. Not great pictures, but maybe they will help.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The first picture looks like a disc brake wheel, the second a regular version.

Comment

Paul,

Yes, that helps! Thanks for the quick reply!
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Attached is a picture of a disc brake wheel on my '63 Lark. It was taken while the car was being wet sanded, which explains the dust on the tire.Click image for larger version

Name:	Disc brake wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1713714

You will notice the additional "hump" the '63 disc brake wheels had. For the record, this is an Avanti wheel, which is 5" wide as opposed to the 4 1/2 inch wide Lark/Hawk style.
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, my source only had non-disc wheels. Does anyone on the forum have a pair? Either width will work.
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Its not pretty but I think it show the details better.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05762.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1713718

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                The first picture looks like a disc brake wheel, the second a regular version.
                You're right. I can't imagine how I had a standard wheel on my Wagonaire or even how I had such a wheel.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If you're going to Lapalma Park show I can bring you 2. Thanks John Kroulik

Comment

John,

I will be at La Palma - I try to never miss it.
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

The 1963 disk cars had the bulge to clear the disk brake calipers.
                      In 1964 all cars . both disk brake and drum brakes used the same wheels.
                      Studebaker redesigned the wheels in 1964 to be used on both the disk brake and drum brake cars.

Comment

Rkapteyn,

That's what I thought about the later wheels. I don't have a set of 64/65/66 wheels, even though I have a '66 Daytona - does anyone have a picture of what these wheels look like compared to earlier, non-disc wheels?
                        Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        \'60 Lark HT
                        \'63 Wagonaire
                        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

If you look at the parts book you see that 1963 and 1964 wheels used the same part number except the Canadian wheels.
                          Can some Studebaker expert chime in on this?
                          Some of the late 1966 wheels were 5" wide.

Last edited by rkapteyn; 05-21-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                            The 1963 disk cars had the bulge to clear the disk brake calipers.
                            In 1964 all cars . both disk brake and drum brakes used the same wheels.
                            Studebaker redesigned the wheels in 1964 to be used on both the disk brake and drum brake cars.
                            I think that's the first time I've heard this but it would explain the disc wheels my '64 with drum brakes. And here I thought it was a factory goof up. Now I know. Thanks Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              If you look at the parts book you see that 1963 and 1964 wheels used the same part number except the Canadian wheels.
                              Can some Studebaker expert chime in on this?
                              Some of the late 1966 wheels were 5" wide.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...k+brake+wheels
                              Bob-
                              That's not how I read the parts book. In the US, 1558828 was used on non-DB 63 cars, 1558827 on DB 63, and 1563413 on all 64, plus late 64 Canadian. In Canada, 1548804 was used on all 59-63, and early 64. I believe your earlier statement ("The 1963 disk cars had the bulge to clear the disk brake calipers. In 1964 all cars both disk brake and drum brakes used the same wheels. Studebaker redesigned the wheels in 1964 to be used on both the disk brake and drum brake cars.") is correct.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X