No announcement yet.

Clutch plate wear, When to replace)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch plate wear, When to replace)

I am trying to decide if I need a new clutch disc for Dad's 50 Champion. The clutch worked perfectly before we took the car apart. It was nice and smooth with no chatter or slip. I found in the manual that the facings are supposed to be 0.125" thick. I measured them and one side is 0.126" and the other is 0.115" plus or minus a couple thousandths.

Normally I would just buy a reman disk but I had such a bad experience with the new disk I put in my car, I don't want a repeat of that. I ended up with my original disk back in my car.

So the question is, is this enough wear to require replacement? If not, at what thickness does replacement become necessary?

Thanks
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Normally a disc is replaced when rivets are close to flush.Luck Doofus

Comment

I think the "old time" advice would be to put in a new disk, pressure plate and throw-out bearing while you have it appart, but if it was working fine before and there is pleanty of material on the faces and the pressure plate surface looks clean, perhaps it's best to put it back together with the existing parts.

I wonder if your problem with your clutch repalcement in the past has to do with the new materials used in the disk? If you look in the parts book you will see that Studebaker used several different disks taylored to different applicaitons (w or wo OD, etc.) and it's likely today you get a one size fits all disk.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
        Normally a disc is replaced when rivets are close to flush.Luck Doofus
        The definition of close is what I am interested in. Does close mean 0.001", 0.010", 0.100".....
        Clutch facings are so thin to start with, in my view they could be considered "close" when new.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I've never measured a disc, but only replace one if it chatters or is close to the rivets. How much is close? I don't know because I never measured, but just go by looks. I'd probably go until they were within .010" of the rivets, but how would I know that unless I had the disc out. If the disc was already out and half worn, then I'd probably just install a new one to save labor later on.

Comment

Working...
          X