Swamp Cooler Swampie Identification Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swamp Cooler Swampie Identification Help

Hello everybody! I was gifted this sweet old nugget here from a mechanic friend of mine. He couldn't remember how or when he acquired it or anything about it. From what I can tell, it looks to be a late 40's model, but there are no stampings, decals, logos or anything else on it anywhere. It needs love and I would like to go back with it correct. Even if I have to manufacture some parts myself. It was a chore, but I was able to find two other images of one like it online. One was polished and one was raw. I will add images of mine (the dirty one) as well as images I have found of the ones like it. If anyone can help me identify the brand and or model, that would be MOST appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1754008

Name:	IMG_3177.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1754009

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	1754010

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1754011

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1754012

Here are the ones like this one...

Name:	4842563.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1754013

Name:	4842564.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1754014

Name:	4842565.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1754015

Name:	4842566.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1754016

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1754017
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Thermador made tons of these...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I know Thermador made them. So did Classic Aire, Sears Roebuck (Allstate brand), which also carried the Thermador brand, and Star Mfg. I just can't figure out what kind this is.

Comment

It sure is cool with the bullet end on it. All the ones I have seen have squared ends. Good luck with it.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Roy. I like the bullet styled ones as well. I guess I will just "redesign" what I can imagine was in this one from looking at other ones. I eventually want to hand polish it like the other one I found pictures of. I just thought it would be best to go back original with the construction. I like trying to understand all I can about things I put on my cars.

Comment

so what do you do with this item....fill with ice ?

Comment

Fill with water. While you drive, air is forced through the intake and runs across a squirrel cage apparatus blowing cooled air through the vent and into the car.

Comment

These only work well in dry climates. It's the evaporation of the water inside that cools the incoming air. In humid climates the water has difficulty evaporating.

There's an old butlers trick for chilling a bottle of wine that involves wrapping the bottle in layers of wet newsprint and driving around the estate while holding it out the window. Never tried it myself. I have no butler and my estate is only 150 feet long.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ha! Yeah... not sure my "estate" is large enough either

It's pretty humid here in Oklahoma. At this point, it's really more of a show accessory.

Comment

Didn't some of these use dry ice? It seems like the one my Dad used in the mid-1950's had dry ice in it. It cooled down the entire car pretty well as I recall. Of course the whole car was a Hillman Husky. It got so cold that Mom had him take it off the car because her right ear and shoulder got so cold she just could not put up with it.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I put one on my car. It blew a cool (not cold) blast at my right temple and that was it. Rather uncomfortable. Still a cool (so to speak) accessory.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-18-2017, 11:30 AM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X