Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone decode my vin#

50 pickup vin is RA51359 could not find any info online.. Thanks Todd

Not sure about the letter "A", but '49-53 1/2 ton (2R5) serial numbers started with R5- followed by number, example R5-12345. I think they started with 0001 in '49. If you are not aware of this, Studebakers used separate serial, engine and body numbers, none of which match but all show up on the production orders.

Comment

As Bruce said, an RA prefix is not possible. If the number is R5 51359, then it's a 1951 model. Canadian-built serial numbers began with HR5.

See chapter 8 here:
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Decode my vin

No tag on truck but found this in glove box
        Attached Files

Comment

Just a guess, but it might be a state-issued VIN. Most states have a procedure to issue a title and VIN plate to a vehicle that is missing them. I would look for a plate riveted onto the frame or the step plate of the cab.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

It's probably an error on the registration --- not the first time I have seen one. Look for the I.D. plate on the left side of the driver's seat base (visible when you open the door).
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

When I was unpacking last night I found old registration cards for the '49 2R5 pickup I bought in 1974 and the '46 M-16 dump truck I bought in 1976. The one for the M series is dated 1957 and probably the last one, as the original owner was killed in 1958 while helping a motorist change a tire.

Comment

Did you look on the floor (Seat Riser), driver's side for the Serial Number/Model Number Plate?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Its weird..I could swear I saw tags somewhere on the truck when I first looked at it at the Guys house (they were silver and blue) now that I have it home I cant find anything..not even a spot that looks like they were removed????

Comment

Nothing on seat riser but it looks like bodywork was done in that area.

Comment

Stude truck serial plates were stainless steel with some black lettering and stamped numbers. Most were spot welded, though some seem to have escaped the welder and were only held on by two sheet metal screws. You might find evidence of the holes by looking at the back/underside of the seat riser (not that it will help much). Your DMV should be able to tell you if that's a state-issued VIN.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X