Promising News from Muscle Car Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promising News from Muscle Car Review

The resurrected, again-monthly Muscle Car Review magazine will soon be inaugurating a new regular feature: Early Muscle. This from one of the magazine's contributors, the Tom Shaw pictured on Page 9 of the January 2008 Turning Wheels.

I have been corresponding with Tom about several things of late, and we were talking about the dearth of coverage for muscle cars built before 1964...of which we know there are many, although they aren't normally called muscle cars.

Tom said the publishers are aware of the growing interest in these historic cars, so they've come up with this new feature. Bring on The Golden Hawks! [] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm salivating at the prospect already, Bob!!!
    Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I'm salivating at the prospect already, Bob!!!
      Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

The resurrected, again-monthly Muscle Car Review magazine will soon be inaugurating a new regular feature: Early Muscle. This from one of the magazine's contributors, the Tom Shaw pictured on Page 9 of the January 2008 Turning Wheels.
        I have been corresponding with Tom about several things of late, and we were talking about the dearth of coverage for muscle cars built before 1964...of which we know there are many, although they aren't normally called muscle cars.
        Tom said the publishers are aware of the growing interest in these historic cars, so they've come up with this new feature. Bring on The Golden Hawks! [] BP
        Good news indeed! Anyone who doesn't call a '55 Chrysler 300, a '56 Dodge D500, a '56 Plymouth Fury, a '57 DeSoto Adventurer, a '57 fuel-injected Chevrolet, a '58 Pontiac Bonneville tri-power and many other pre-64 cars is overlooking significant high performers.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
        1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Good news indeed! Anyone who doesn't call a '55 Chrysler 300, a '56 Dodge D500, a '56 Plymouth Fury, a '57 DeSoto Adventurer, a '57 fuel-injected Chevrolet, a '58 Pontiac Bonneville tri-power and many other pre-64 cars is overlooking significant high performers.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bob,

Do you remember the predecessor to Muscle Car Review Magazine?[?] If not, it was Popular & Performance Car Review Magazine. At that point it was from Dobbs Publications, Lakeland, Fla. but I'm not sure if they are still around. If you have your back issues stored safely away, you need to check out the January 1985 issue and while you're at it look at the September 1985 issue as well Hard to believe it's been that long ago, but I did the Avanti in 1978 and the "Super-Baker" (as they named it) in 1981. Time flies when you're havin' fun. See ya'll in Albany, GA in April for the 5th Annual Georgia State Meet.

Dan Miller
            Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
            Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Bob,

Do you remember the predecessor to Muscle Car Review Magazine?[?] If not, it was Popular & Performance Car Review Magazine. At that point it was from Dobbs Publications, Lakeland, Fla. but I'm not sure if they are still around. If you have your back issues stored safely away, you need to check out the January 1985 issue and while you're at it look at the September 1985 issue as well Hard to believe it's been that long ago, but I did the Avanti in 1978 and the "Super-Baker" (as they named it) in 1981. Time flies when you're havin' fun. See ya'll in Albany, GA in April for the 5th Annual Georgia State Meet.

Dan Miller
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k
                D 500? A hot rod truck, I love it! [}] Would it have one of the Poly blocks? [8]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k
                  D 500? A hot rod truck, I love it! [}] Would it have one of the Poly blocks? [8]

Comment

Er, Gary; you do know the D500 was a passenger-car engine option, right? BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Bob,

Dan Miller
                        Atlanta, GA
                        No, Dan; 'can't say that I have ever heard of Popular and Performance Car Review, but I have heard of Dobbs Publications.

Lakeland FL seems to be a hotbed of collector-car publishing, so they are probably all trading names and assignments around incestuously among various companies! [:0] [8D] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Bob,

Dan Miller
                          Atlanta, GA
                          No, Dan; 'can't say that I have ever heard of Popular and Performance Car Review, but I have heard of Dobbs Publications.

Lakeland FL seems to be a hotbed of collector-car publishing, so they are probably all trading names and assignments around incestuously among various companies! [:0] [8D] BP

Comment

I do now.... Being a truck guy I had to throw that out.

Comment

I do now.... Being a truck guy I had to throw that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X