Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Horns

Hi guys and gals :

Is there anyone out there that knows the trick to getting old Studebaker horns to work again after sitting idle for 35 years . I have over 30 and if worse comes to worse will throw them in the scrap metal barrel and I would hate to do that if there is a trick to get them to work again . Let me know I have the rest of May before I start hauling things to the scrap yard .

Old Fart

Unless they are rusted out, you should be able to take the cover off and clean things up and get them to work. The points may need a bit of filing or sanding just like distributor points. The first one I opened up for my 52 had a badly rusted diaphragm and was beyond help, but the other cleaned up and worked fine. I found a replacement at the IM that year.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I've had success in taking them apart, cleaning them up and re-riveting them. Some folks have gotten lucky by turning the adjusting screw back and forth a few times to "loosen" the diaphragm up. Best of luck, Bill.

Comment

I tried to get my low-tone to get working and inside it looked pretty good. In the end, I bought a replacement and now enjoy listening to that dual-tone horn. Persevere, and you'll soon be the Studebaker 'horn' expert!
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X