Studebaker Factory Parts Depots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Factory Parts Depots

This talk about old dealerships on another thread reminds me of an idea I had some time ago, which is for someone to do a Turning Wheels article about the Studebaker Factory Parts Depots that were located in various parts of the country (and, for that matter, the world!).

About 15 miles from my house is the Allison Park (Pittsburgh, PA) branch along PA State Route 8. The building looks much like it did as I remember it as a kid, although it of course has had various tenants since Studebaker left.

Bill Pressler, you will appreciate this: I recall riding past the place in 1963 and on the side of the building sat parked a long line of new Larks. Probably at least 15 or 20 of them.

Geographically, it would be a daunting task to prepare such an article if it tried to cover the present day condition, etc. of the buildings, but maybe club members who live near each branch could investigate them?

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner
    Valencia, PA

About 15 miles from my house is the Allison Park (Pittsburgh, PA) branch along PA State Route 8. The building looks much like it did as I remember it as a kid, although it of course has had various tenants since Studebaker left.

Bill Pressler, you will appreciate this: I recall riding past the place in 1963 and on the side of the building sat parked a long line of new Larks. Probably at least 15 or 20 of them.

Geographically, it would be a daunting task to prepare such an article if it tried to cover the present day condition, etc. of the buildings, but maybe club members who live near each branch could investigate them?

Dave Bonn
    '54 Champion Starliner
    Valencia, PA

[/quote]

Oh man, I DO appreciate that! I was a little kid then, and I remember '59 and '60 Larks mostly, then '62's, one '61, some '64-66's but don't remember seeing a single '63 around town when I was a kid, although to my unsophisticated eyes then, I might have mistaken '63's for '62's.

That Parts Depot in Allison Park...long story I'll make short, but my wife's family lived on the hill behind it in the late '60's/early '70's (may have still been the Depot then). Probably 15 years ago my wife wanted to see her old neighborhood so we went there on a drive. There was a bakery in the building I believe used to be the Parts Depot (not certain though). Craig Piper has the huge two-sided "Lazy S" lighted sign from the Allison Park Depot now.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Dave Bonn
      '54 Champion Starliner
      Valencia, PA

[/quote]

Oh man, I DO appreciate that! I was a little kid then, and I remember '59 and '60 Larks mostly, then '62's, one '61, some '64-66's but don't remember seeing a single '63 around town when I was a kid, although to my unsophisticated eyes then, I might have mistaken '63's for '62's.

That Parts Depot in Allison Park...long story I'll make short, but my wife's family lived on the hill behind it in the late '60's/early '70's (may have still been the Depot then). Probably 15 years ago my wife wanted to see her old neighborhood so we went there on a drive. There was a bakery in the building I believe used to be the Parts Depot (not certain though). Craig Piper has the huge two-sided "Lazy S" lighted sign from the Allison Park Depot now.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Dave, that's a great idea. The actual person who is very capable of doing that is Sir Richard Quinn who has all of the data needed. Hopefully he willl see this or you can e-mail directly and sugest the article to him.

See you in the future as I write about our past
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Dave, that's a great idea. The actual person who is very capable of doing that is Sir Richard Quinn who has all of the data needed. Hopefully he willl see this or you can e-mail directly and sugest the article to him.

See you in the future as I write about our past
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

This talk about old dealerships on another thread reminds me of an idea I had some time ago, which is for someone to do a Turning Wheels article about the Studebaker Factory Parts Depots that were located in various parts of the country (and, for that matter, the world!). ...
            I remember Parts Depots in Kansas City, MO and Burlingame, CA. I stopped at the Burlingame Depot in 1967. I was driving along the freeway south of San Francisco and saw this big Studebaker sign. I was looking to get some service work done on my Wagonaire so I took the next exit and found the building. Obviously they wouldn't service it there, but the kind lady at the front desk gave me a list of all dealers in the western US and recommended Frost and French in Los Angelos since we were headed that way. I don't know what happened to the stock at Kansas City, but I think Frost and French got the remnants of Burlingame. I heard that after Studebaker stopped production Burlingame took most if not all their accessory stock to the landfill based on "who would ever buy accessories for a discontinued automobile".

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

This talk about old dealerships on another thread reminds me of an idea I had some time ago, which is for someone to do a Turning Wheels article about the Studebaker Factory Parts Depots that were located in various parts of the country (and, for that matter, the world!). ...
              I remember Parts Depots in Kansas City, MO and Burlingame, CA. I stopped at the Burlingame Depot in 1967. I was driving along the freeway south of San Francisco and saw this big Studebaker sign. I was looking to get some service work done on my Wagonaire so I took the next exit and found the building. Obviously they wouldn't service it there, but the kind lady at the front desk gave me a list of all dealers in the western US and recommended Frost and French in Los Angelos since we were headed that way. I don't know what happened to the stock at Kansas City, but I think Frost and French got the remnants of Burlingame. I heard that after Studebaker stopped production Burlingame took most if not all their accessory stock to the landfill based on "who would ever buy accessories for a discontinued automobile".

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Actually Paul, Burlingame Depot sent out discount fliers to all the West Coast dealers offering Rear ends, fenders and large bulky items like that for pennies on the dollar and sold quite a bit. Frost & French where I worked in '70-'71 got quite a lot of good parts in the complete buy-out which were later sold to Studebakers West and the Frost and French Red 8E7-122 pickup and Clark forklift went with it all. Ironically, those parts went BACK to Redwood City in Bay Area where they came from!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Actually Paul, Burlingame Depot sent out discount fliers to all the West Coast dealers offering Rear ends, fenders and large bulky items like that for pennies on the dollar and sold quite a bit. Frost & French where I worked in '70-'71 got quite a lot of good parts in the complete buy-out which were later sold to Studebakers West and the Frost and French Red 8E7-122 pickup and Clark forklift went with it all. Ironically, those parts went BACK to Redwood City in Bay Area where they came from!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Many years ago, there was a Studebaker parts depot in Williston Park,NY (on Long Island).
                    I remember my dad buying Stude stuff there on many occasions.
                    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Many years ago, there was a Studebaker parts depot in Williston Park,NY (on Long Island).
                      I remember my dad buying Stude stuff there on many occasions.
                      Rog

Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

When I worked at Downtown Studebaker, a dealersip in Atlanta, It was my job to run parts all over town and I made many a trip to the parts depot in Decatur, Ga. about 20 miles away from the dealership. What a great job for an 18 year old but it was embarrasing that our parts truck that I drove was a Volkswagen. The owner of the dealership also owned a VW dealership down the street. I have my revenge now with my sharp 63 Champ. [8D] hopinfox

Comment

When I worked at Downtown Studebaker, a dealersip in Atlanta, It was my job to run parts all over town and I made many a trip to the parts depot in Decatur, Ga. about 20 miles away from the dealership. What a great job for an 18 year old but it was embarrasing that our parts truck that I drove was a Volkswagen. The owner of the dealership also owned a VW dealership down the street. I have my revenge now with my sharp 63 Champ. [8D] hopinfox

Comment

I too have often wondered about this and the fate of the buildings. Since I have my "M" Series Parts Catalog next to me on the desk, I will post what is shown there. As I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks back, there are four separate corporations; The Studebaker Corporation, The Studebaker Sales Corporation of America, The Studebaker Pacific Corporation and The Studebaker Corporation of Canada, Ltd.

I will list them in the order that they appear, but please remember this data is now 60 years old and there were no Zip Codes:

The Studebaker Corporation

3557 East Ponce de Leon Ave. Decatur, Ga.
                            145 Forsyth St. Roxbury, Mass.
                            4640 W. 54th St. Chicago, Ill.
                            Blue Ash Rd. & Vorhees Lane Rossmoyne, Ohio
                            10632 Berea Road Cleveland, Ohio
                            3720 La France St. Dallas, Texas
                            11 East Tenth St. North Kansas City, Mo.
                            2585 Summer Ave. Memphis, Tenn.
                            411 West 78th St. Minneapolis, Minn.
                            Lancaster Pike & Dorset Road, Devon, Pa.
                            1816 Locust St. Pittsburgh, Pa.
                            3508 Lindell Blvd. St. Louis, Mo.
                            W. Eckman Street South Bend, Indiana
                            1461 Okie St., N.E. Washington, D.C.

The Studebaker Sales Corporation of America

4 Church Avenue Brooklyn, N.Y.
                            128 Perry St. Buffalo, N.Y.
                            150 Rio Grande Blvd. Denver, Colo.
                            17385 Ryan Road Detroit, Mich.
                            470 First Ave. West Roselle, N.J.
                            1644 Religious St. New Orleans, La.
                            777 Saw Mill River Rd. Yonkers, N.Y.

The Studebaker Pacific Corporation

4707 District Blvd. Los Angeles, Calif.
                            2355 N. W. Quimby St. Portland, Ore.
                            701 Bryant St. San Francisco, Calif.

The Studebaker Sales Corporation of Canada, Ltd.

Ferrie St. Hamilton, Ontario

Comment

I too have often wondered about this and the fate of the buildings. Since I have my "M" Series Parts Catalog next to me on the desk, I will post what is shown there. As I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks back, there are four separate corporations; The Studebaker Corporation, The Studebaker Sales Corporation of America, The Studebaker Pacific Corporation and The Studebaker Corporation of Canada, Ltd.

I will list them in the order that they appear, but please remember this data is now 60 years old and there were no Zip Codes:

The Studebaker Corporation

3557 East Ponce de Leon Ave. Decatur, Ga.
                              145 Forsyth St. Roxbury, Mass.
                              4640 W. 54th St. Chicago, Ill.
                              Blue Ash Rd. & Vorhees Lane Rossmoyne, Ohio
                              10632 Berea Road Cleveland, Ohio
                              3720 La France St. Dallas, Texas
                              11 East Tenth St. North Kansas City, Mo.
                              2585 Summer Ave. Memphis, Tenn.
                              411 West 78th St. Minneapolis, Minn.
                              Lancaster Pike & Dorset Road, Devon, Pa.
                              1816 Locust St. Pittsburgh, Pa.
                              3508 Lindell Blvd. St. Louis, Mo.
                              W. Eckman Street South Bend, Indiana
                              1461 Okie St., N.E. Washington, D.C.

The Studebaker Sales Corporation of America

4 Church Avenue Brooklyn, N.Y.
                              128 Perry St. Buffalo, N.Y.
                              150 Rio Grande Blvd. Denver, Colo.
                              17385 Ryan Road Detroit, Mich.
                              470 First Ave. West Roselle, N.J.
                              1644 Religious St. New Orleans, La.
                              777 Saw Mill River Rd. Yonkers, N.Y.

The Studebaker Pacific Corporation

4707 District Blvd. Los Angeles, Calif.
                              2355 N. W. Quimby St. Portland, Ore.
                              701 Bryant St. San Francisco, Calif.

The Studebaker Sales Corporation of Canada, Ltd.

Ferrie St. Hamilton, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                              X