B-17 with Studebaker engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-17 with Studebaker engines

My son took me to Torrance airport for a ride in a B-25. There was also a B-24 and a B-17 on the ramp available for rides. Of course, I had to inspect the B-17 for Studebaker engines. l found #1 and #2 were Studebaker built. Couldn't read the plates on the other two.

The "Lacey Lady" has four Studebaker 1820 Wright engines, original to the plane and with less than 50 hours total time!! We are currently restoring it back to flying condition. "Strange Inheritance" just did a segment on the history of that B-17, amazing story. Can't wait to hear those radials come back to life again!!. If you are ever in Oregon, stop by the museum & restoration hangar at McNary field in Salem Oregon.

Comment

This is an image of the Studebaker engine plate for those B17 power plants. It is interesting that Studebaver revived their previous logo from the twenties to put on the plate. I picked this one up on Ebay a few years ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02055.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1713411

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

In the past when I have seen B-17's in a static display waiting for passengers, I have talked to the pilots of the aircraft. All have said they prefer the Studebaker engines because of their reliability. I have alway found at least two on any B-17 Ihave seen.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

More B-17's with engines assembled at the Studebaker plant.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X