Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken speedo pinion gear (in auto tranny)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken speedo pinion gear (in auto tranny)

the slow engagement is probably rear servo leaking or a bad pump I don't remember if speedo gear can be installed wrong . good luck.

Broken speedo pinion gear (in auto tranny)

A bit of a dilemma here. I just had my 63' auto tranny rebuilt...The car has 30K original miles on it and drives great. I had the tranny rebuilt. I installed the speedo gear back into the tranny (I've done this 20 times in my life) and when turning the wheels for a brake adjustment, I heard the "pop"/"crack". I now have no speedo/odometer.
    Also, after the rebuild, I have a very slow reverse engagement with a cold start out the garage. What's up ? Is it possible to install the internal gear wrong in the tranny ?

Comment

You don't suppose the rebuilder got the worm gears for the speedo drive and the governor swapped, do you? I recollect that there are two worms, close in size, but opposing in pitch.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Automatic Gord ?

Comment

Jack, Gord is talking about the pressure regulator governor drive gear!

quote:Originally posted by jackb

Automatic Gord ?
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK...so the 2 gears may have been installed backwards. What's the best course ? Can I pull the tail of the tranny and check for pitch before I try another expensive speedo gear ? What would I look for ? I do have another original tranny I could compare.....And as another point (assuming someone may suggest a return trip to the shop), this was supposed to be a "soft rebuild" with seals, gaskets etc......When I went to pick it up, it had become a "full" rebuild for $875. When I confronted him with this, he gave me this sheepish look with a lot of BS, so I paid him $650. (all I had on me since I had him rebuild another tranny in May for $625. [full rebuild]). I have yet to pay him the balance....maybe not a bad thing....

Comment

Working...
            X