How many 64 hawks on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many 64 hawks on the road

I'm making a new poster board for my 64 hawk that tells a little about the car when I show it. I was going to add how many were on the Studebaker GT registry however it seems the site has been suspended. Does anyone remember how many 64 Hawk s were registered? It may not include all that are on the road but it's a good start.

I recall 1548 V8 units were put together at South Bend.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1713377

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Yeah but looking how many are on the road today

Comment

As of last March there were 221 on the Registry.

Comment

Thanks Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
            the Registry.
            Is this your site?

64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Mine is still on the road....when she's not broke down that is....since I've had her, she has been broken down most of the time....but she's getting better!....(nothing has gone wrong the last 10 or so times I've driven her....making progress?)
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

That's the way it comes up for me, blank. I will ask the man who was editing it if he knows what's happening with it.

Comment

That's the way it comes up for me, blank. I will ask the man who was editing it if he knows what's happening with it.
                  Looks like someone forgot to pay the bill....
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                    I recall 1548 V8 units were put together at South Bend.[ATTACH=CONFIG]63704[/ATTACH]
                    Of those 1548 V8s, 167 were R1 and 70 were R2, plus another 224 were six cylinder, for a total of 1772. I would expect 10 to 15 percent of those to be still around.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Of those 1548 V8s, 167 were R1 and 70 were R2, plus another 224 were six cylinder, for a total of 1772. I would expect 10 to 15 percent of those to be still around.
                      Gary,
                      Thanks for those finer figures particularly the R series. A New Zealand friend has just imported a '64 GT R1 model in Strato Blue.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

As of last March there were 221 on the Registry.
                        Being on the Registry and being on the road aren't exactly the same thing.

Mark
                        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

There may be more that are road worthy but are just sitting in car ports, barns and back yards waiting to be loved again.
                          I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Go to Fred Fox's TW article a few years back (8 or 9?) on '64 Hawks. It was estimated at that time that these Hawks were saved in large numbers and that perhaps 50% were still around!
                            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

It would appear that several of the Registries have not been kept up to date with Cornerstone. First of all, readers need to go to the SDC web site, click on Resources, click on Registries, and there they are. Several can be accessed that show VIEW. But for the others I assume you will have to email the custodian whose name appears. For 64 Hawks they will be listed in the 62-64 HAWK Registry which is run by Barry Leppan and for which VIEW is indicated. But it is suspended so maybe Mark Wheeler can explain. Certainly you can access the 64 Daytona Convertible Registry OK.

Stu Chapman
                              Last edited by Stu Chapman; 04-26-2017, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X