WWII Black Out Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Black Out Models

I am considering doing an article for the Antique Studebaker Review on the 1942 Studebaker's that were built with painted or silver coated trim. They were commonley referred to as a "Black Out Model". SDC and ASC Members having such a vehicle are invited to submit (a) Model, i.e Champion, Commander, President or M-Series, (b) Serial Number (c) Body tag number (d) Color(s) (e) photograph (f) Your name, city and state. E-mail to LTCRP@netscape.com or to Richard Pianca, 2706 W. 37th St., Davenport, IA 52806. Telephone 563-391-4517 or cell 563-340-2871. My plans are to compile the information received and add to it information I have researced from the SNM Archives. My tenitive target date for compleation is October 2008.

Richard,

Would this article also include trucks? Bill Tilghman on the Eastern Shore of Virginia restored the 1942 M-15 that was previously owned by Asa Hall. As a 1942, it was a blackout model. Bill is now in his early '80's and not connected to the Internet, but I can put you in touch with him. Having seen the truck in various stages of restoration, I can tell you that it is nice.

Gary

Comment

Richard,

Would this article also include trucks? Bill Tilghman on the Eastern Shore of Virginia restored the 1942 M-15 that was previously owned by Asa Hall. As a 1942, it was a blackout model. Bill is now in his early '80's and not connected to the Internet, but I can put you in touch with him. Having seen the truck in various stages of restoration, I can tell you that it is nice.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

Did Studebaker make cars during the War?[?]
        No, I think car production stopped in January 1942 and did not resume until the 1946 model year. However, they did receive authorization to produce a total of 4000 M-15 trucks in 1945. These were a hybrid model, as they retained the swing out windshield, top mounted wipers, metal door panels and metal glove box found on the US 6 trucks during the war.

Comment

No, I think car production stopped in January 1942 and did not resume until the 1946 model year. However, they did receive authorization to produce a total of 4000 M-15 trucks in 1945. These were a hybrid model, as they retained the swing out windshield, top mounted wipers, metal door panels and metal glove box found on the US 6 trucks during the war.

Comment

Did Studebaker make cars during the War?[?] I remember that military trucks had 'black out lights' during the Viet Nam years.

Comment

Did Studebaker make cars during the War?[?] I remember that military trucks had 'black out lights' during the Viet Nam years.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

However, they did receive authorization to produce a total of 4000 M-15 trucks in 1945. These were a hybrid model, as they retained the swing out windshield, top mounted wipers, metal door panels and metal glove box found on the US 6 trucks during the war.

I had one of them, still have the windshield, which I promised to MB if I can figure a method of getting it to him. Our's had four tires in the rear, huge wheels, and somebody said it might have had a two speed rear......whatever that was.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

However, they did receive authorization to produce a total of 4000 M-15 trucks in 1945. These were a hybrid model, as they retained the swing out windshield, top mounted wipers, metal door panels and metal glove box found on the US 6 trucks during the war.

I had one of them, still have the windshield, which I promised to MB if I can figure a method of getting it to him. Our's had four tires in the rear, huge wheels, and somebody said it might have had a two speed rear......whatever that was.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                    Our's had four tires in the rear, huge wheels, and somebody said it might have had a two speed rear......whatever that was.
                    Bill,

The M-15 C-9 cabs were a ton ton truck (with the Champion engine) available in 2 configurations. The first was as a pickup on a 120" WB, the second as a cab and chassis unit on a 128" WB. The latter could be had with dual wheels, but the 2 speed rear was only an option on the M-16 (X code) and the M-17.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                      Our's had four tires in the rear, huge wheels, and somebody said it might have had a two speed rear......whatever that was.
                      Bill,

The M-15 C-9 cabs were a ton ton truck (with the Champion engine) available in 2 configurations. The first was as a pickup on a 120" WB, the second as a cab and chassis unit on a 128" WB. The latter could be had with dual wheels, but the 2 speed rear was only an option on the M-16 (X code) and the M-17.

Gary

Comment

People who saw it, thought it was a C9, as it had a really small engine, and as far as I can remember there was no gizmo for the two speed rear.

Comment

People who saw it, thought it was a C9, as it had a really small engine, and as far as I can remember there was no gizmo for the two speed rear.

Comment

Gary, Yes, See Original Post. "Champion, Commander, President or M-Series. Have Bill send the information I ask for.

Comment

Gary, Yes, See Original Post. "Champion, Commander, President or M-Series. Have Bill send the information I ask for.

Comment

Working...
                              X