Dana 44 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 Questions

I have a Dana 44 with an open 3.07 in the Daytona. I believe that 3.54 and lower (numerically) will fit the same case. Am I right?

Second, will a non-TT case fit a TT or similar locking diff?

I'd rather use what I have instead of getting another. Ideally, a 3.54 with TT.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

1st, Yes
    2nd, Yes

But! To change ring and pinion, you will need to remove the rear axle. Getting the setup with the new gears and correct tension and lash is a needed skill.

So if you find a 2.53 TT already together it will be easier to swap out
    Last edited by SScopelli; 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
      I have a Dana 44 with an open 3.07 in the Daytona. I believe that 3.54 and lower (numerically) will fit the same case. Am I right?

Second, will a non-TT case fit a TT or similar locking diff?

I'd rather use what I have instead of getting another. Ideally, a 3.54 with TT.
      your terminology is confusing. Do you mean carrier instead of case. The carrier (assembly that the ring gear is bolted to) is specific to gear ratio sizes.
      D44 3.73 & down / 3.92 & up (taken from Randys Ring and Pinion website)
      If you mean housing, the housing on all dana 44 will except any carrier size.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

The car will be making it's way south next month. Condition is far from perfect. I just figured a rebuild and an upgrade to a flanged axle kit from Fairborn. My car was originally a donor for another, including the original 3:31 rear end. Everything else is being rebuilt, might as well do the rear end too.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom, The answer is yes/yes. Cost will run in the $700 or so range for new parts. IIWY, I see if hausdoc could get you one of these http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=dana-44 and deliver it to SB in early May.

Bob

Comment

Unfortunately I'm not going to South Bend. I wish I was. And he doesn't want to ship...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
              Unfortunately I'm not going to South Bend. I wish I was. And he doesn't want to ship...
              If you can get it delivered to SB, I'll pick it up and store it in Bay City, Mi. for a reasonable amount of time. We'll work out the details from there. I'll be there for one day, either thursday of friday.

Bob

Comment

Bob, let me see if Mark still has these. I'm picking up my Mom's cat in Sterling Heights over Memorial weekend (Sterling Heights). Let me see if this is logistically possible. I need to change my city. I'm actually in Bradenton, FL.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom

If you can make it work, the offer's open. It might be worth a check with Matt at Stephen Allen Studebaker if that is a better way. Matt knows a fair number of folks in Florida.

Bob
                  Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-21-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I forgot about Matt. I might be able to get up there on my way up. Thanks Bob.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                    X