Interesting "shorty" T cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting "shorty" T cab

This may have been discussed before and I missed it, but there is a cute T cab on Ebay right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Studeba...lY5n9c&vxp=mtr With a bit of finishing, this truck would be a really sharp piece. The engine bay needs something and I would have to lose the wing and do something about the fuel tank, but overall, I like it. Comments?
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I like it too! It seems to be priced about 6 thousand too much though.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

It's got a great stance!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well...I always wonder why someone would put so much time and effort into a project and turn around and sell it unless there was some serious unforeseen problem that caused the "Reality" of the machine to be much less fun than the "Dream" (or idea). I know some of us get very upset when we criticize these creations, but merely blasting out effusive praise could be a disservice to fellow fans.

Personally, I like the little Lark Tub. It is "cute." Given a good shiny paint job, it would be "Eye Popping." But, for the reality, it is obviously a "fair weather" cruise-in machine. No heater, no wipers, and probably a "sweat box" even with the windows down. Anyone with experience driving a Jeep CJ5 with the heavy 304 V8 engine (instead of the 6) knows how dangerous such a short wheel base vehicle can be on the road. The ad says "three core radiator," but does it really cool in hot weather? Besides the radiator cores, the manner of how the air flows is as important for heat exchange.

There's probably a dozen other items that would need to be examined before even considering the initial asking bid. For me, unless an up close inspection and test drive...a $3000 toy at best.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

To me a "truck" like this would be like a T bucket. Not an every day vehicle, but something to take for a spin on a nice day or to a cruise in. Not much different than how many people use their Studebakers even though some have air conditioning and other comforts.
          In any case, I won't be bidding on the truck. I just like the "attitude".
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Kinda cute but I would have a different vision for the final product. It does seem like a lot of money though, unless you like it like it is.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Love the concept of the box...I wish Studebaker did this (in standard wheelbase) instead plopping that Dodge box on it's Champs. cheers, junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm with Junior--- I think this is almost as good as the P2 box, neither looks like they belong but maybe that's what he had to work with!
                sigpic

Comment

This really looks like the back half of a Lark. Since there's no gas filler door there anymore, if it were mine, I would be tempted to make a functional tailgate. At the same time, I would be exploring a more safer, durable, and cosmetically pleasing option for a fuel supply. A functional tailgate would render it more "user friendly" for a place to sit at gatherings, and add an easier access to a cooler and picnic supplies.

I have seen some pretty nice "Utes" built from Lark sedans, and this shortened little tub fits within the concept. I have always thought that the Lark rear design could have been incorporated into a good looking truck bed with a functional tailgate. Just because I have cautions about this build, does not mean it lacks potential. However, for me, it is short (pun intended) of where I would like to take it.

Remember the Subaru Brat? I suggest whoever gets this one, and finishes it up, could call it the "STUDEBAKER RASCAL!"
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The back half of a Lark wagon would be a good place to start if you had one that could be sacrificed.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I like it But than I'm a hot rodder. Shows what crazy poeple dream about.

Comment

Looks like an expensive can of worms to me.
                        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        63 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC
                        45 Agricat
                        67 Triumph T100
                        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

52- fan the lark wagon two door makes a much nicer box and it fits right and looks good and is use-able. It's my plan for a champ bucket of parts I have if I ever find a rough two door wagon. I would hate to cut up a nice car.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like the proportions of the Yellow one better, but, hey, the black one looks fun. Its probably a longer wheelbase than a Miata and they are very fun to drive.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                            X