Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separating inner and outer fenders. And...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating inner and outer fenders. And...

I'm about to remove the fenders from my President, It seems I ought to separate them while they are still attached, rather than when flopping around on the ground. I haven't a clue how to begin, or where. Please help.
    Late Note, Bams told me about the spot-weld cutter and plug welding. I think I can do this.

Also, does anyone have a lower air 'scoop' for the 53-55 sedans that I could acquire. Else I've gotta rebuild this one outa fiberglas and pieces. The rate I'm going I could pick it up in South Bend in May.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction)97 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Why do you want to separate the inners from the outers?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick has a good question, why? But, to do it, mark the center of the spot welds with a sharpie, Buy a GOOD spot weld drill bit (you'll probably need more then one) Drill out the spot welds with out drilling through both the outer skin and inner. that way, when you weld them back, you'll have something to weld to.
      Better yet, get them ready use a few sheet metal screws to line them up, find a good Collision Center that has a resistance spot welder and have them weld it.
      I am looking at a resistance spot welder now, they run about 18K PLUS another 2-3K to run the 3 phase wiring! It's not easy to convince the dealer principle that we "have" to have it!
      The weld area MUST be perfectly clean of rust and paint, other then a weld through primer.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

I'm replacing the once bondoed, again rusted fenders with a pair of NOS ones the OP thoughtfully provided. They didn't come with inners.

Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I'm replacing the once bondoed, again rusted fenders with a pair of NOS ones the OP thoughtfully provided. They didn't come with inners.
          I get it.

When it comes to body work (or brakes)...do what Jim says. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the help I've received, both on and off line. I think I can handle it.

Any help on the sedan front valence?

Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

As far as I know,Denis still has the 1955 version of the front valence.
              The only difference is t\you have to remove the grille brackets.
              I may have one but it is too cold now. Wait till spring!
              Bob

Comment

This thread was from a YEAR ago. Tom's got the car done, painted, and driving- even blew one engine since then!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I felt like blowing the engine, but no, I didn't blow it, I found that it came with a worn rod bearing or two or three. The vendor replaced it with a very good (used) full flow 289, at no cost to me except remove and replace, which I did, took 37.5 hrs. including remove and replace the grill and bumper, easy on a 55.

Kent, in Michigan salvaged a lower valence for me in California and brought it back last year in May to South Bend.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                  X