61 Champ V8 259/ hasn't run in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 61 Champ V8 259/ hasn't run in 20 years

First, I would like to say I'm so glad I found this forum, so many of you that know the studebakers and so nice to know there are still so many of you that understand the older cars/trucks I've read so many post and it has taught me a lot already.
    I bought this 61 Champ for my business venture, it hasn't run in 20 plus years, the oil still looks new however I will change it. The points, condenser, rotor,distributor cap, oil/filters and plugs/wires had all been changed before it was placed in storage and all still look new. I have pulled the plugs and a few days again I added marvels mystery oil in each cylinder, I have removed each value covers and both sides are oily/clean looking. The radiator appeared empty when I looked inside however I pulled all hoses to replace them and there was antifreeze still in the lower part. Now I have read that I should hand crank the engine or turn the crankshaft bolt, and then some say not to use a breaker bar on the crank shaft bolt that is might break- I have also read where I should remove the distributor and use a drill to circulate the oil from there? Or am I understanding this correct? I have removed the radiator and front grill so I could get to that crankshaft bolt- I can not manually move that crank pully- I removed the belts thinking this would help. Should I be able to turn that pully by hand? This also has the Flightomatic automatic transmission in it. Would it make a difference if it's in park or neutral to move that pully?.
    Today I will drain the oil might check the pan to make sure it's clean before I add new. I have also read where I should do all brakes first- well I added brake fluid to the master just for fun, pumped it up and they are still holding, no leaks no runner rot? Is this normal- I will still look into new brakes I just really would like to see if I can get this truck started.
    Thank you all for being here- you have already helped this old lady out by reading your post. Yes I'm a 56 year old woman doing this so go easy on me. Have a great day.
    Last edited by Kammy; 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM. Reason: I some how listed this twice.
Working...
X