Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Anco Deadlocker Windshield Wiper Arm Install

Hi all,
    Just picked up these fine NOS arms at the Charlotte Autofair this past week. My question is does anyone know how to make the end of the arm swivel so that the blades can be adjusted to the correct angle? I know no tools are required and it's easy to do; I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Files
    1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

I think they are missing the "Adapter".
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I think they are missing the "Adapter".
      Here it is with the blade attached. From this point, one should be able to swivel the attached blade for the correct angle.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1713246Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender4.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1713247Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender5.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1713248

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

Comment

For such a simple device, wipers sure can be a pain to figure out. And with today's poor quality rubber, they usually need to be changed out every year.

Comment

After losing one whole assembly off rt.side in a rainstorm pulling a trailer I put a piece of 80#braided fishing line as a safety strap on both sides.

Comment

I think the "dead-locker" feature is the push button release of a second peg or clip for positive retention.
            The large circular form on the end of your wipers is to provide room for the spring and push button

See attached image of an ad from a Popular Science from the 1940s.

The swiveling end on an otherwise straight "universal" blade was a separate feature, usually accomplished with a screw or nut that must be loosened to adjust then then tightened to positively hold angle.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
              I think the "dead-locker" feature is the push button release of a second peg or clip for positive retention.
              The large circular form on the end of your wipers is to provide room for the spring and push button

See attached image of an ad from a Popular Science from the 1940s.

The swiveling end on an otherwise straight "universal" blade was a separate feature, usually accomplished with a screw or nut that must be loosened to adjust then then tightened to positively hold angle.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wNcAAO...4o/s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the info. I attached the wiper to the arm and simply twisted it to the correct angle. I think the adjustable arm that requires a screw is an older type. In any event, I believe the old saying that it's usually something pretty simple still applies.

Mt. Airy, Maryland

Comment

Working...
              X