Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Nearest Club Chapter to Marysville, Washington?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Nearest Club Chapter to Marysville, Washington?

I just learned that my youngest brother, Bill, is flying to Indianapolis this Saturday to buy a 1957 Golden Hawk. He plans to have it shipped back to his home shop in Marysville, Washington. In my effort to get him connected to the Studebaker world I would like to let him know the nearest SDC Chapter to him. Can anyone tell me what chapter is closest?
    I am sending him the link to the SDC Int'l website so he can join that first.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Hi Ed..............I believe there is a Chapter in north Seattle.................but I live in Stanwood (just a few miles north of your bro) and I belong to the Whatcom County Chapter. I don't make many meetings these days, but it's a relative small club and the members are all top notch!!. The club treasurer is Virginia Teker, and can be reached at PO Box 1616, Oak Harbor, WA 98277...(360)675-8375.

Jim K

Comment

Thank you, Jim. I will pass this along to Bill. He is an experienced mechanic who runs Chevys at the drag races. He is also a CNC computer programmer at Boeing in Everett. He should be a great addition to the club.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The North Puget Sound Chapter serves the Everett/Marysville area, also the Whatcom County Chapter up here is not all that far away.

Few people up North wish to fight one of the Country's WORST traffic flow areas SOUTH of Everett, to go anywhere South.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-11-2017, 02:17 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Great. I think I will steer him to the Chapter listings on the SDC website and pass the information you both have provided on to him as well. This is very helpful.
          Thanks guys.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Rich is correct, The North Puget Sound and Whatcom County chapters are the two closest to Marysville, but we also have joint events with the Seattle and Tacoma chapters, as well as the local Avanti Owner's chapter.

We have several members who live in the Marysville area. We'd love to meet Bill regardless of what he drives.

I also work at Boeing in Everett, and one of our newest members recently retired from there.

These are the links to our webpages:

Mark Laskowski
            President, North Puget Sound chapter
            Last edited by Mark L; 04-11-2017, 06:51 PM.
            Mark L

Comment

Hi Ed,

I live north of Seattle, about half an hour's drive south of Marysville. I'm hauling a Lark Daytona east to the meet in a couple of weeks and am interested in finding a haul back. My co-drive had initially been interested in acquiring a car along the return route; but that car has apparently been sold, so I'd like to put something in that trailer, the fee for which would cover fuel and incidentals for the return trip. It will be a roundabout trip back. I'll be travelling over old Rt. 66 from Chi-Town to LA, probably dropping off some parts in Stanton, CA and perhaps again in San Jose, CA and then heading north to Seattle, possibly dropping off additional parts in Oregon and lower Washington enroute.

It'll be kind of reverse of the route I drove April of last year. Then I drove south to Garden Grove, CA, picked up a Golden Hawk, hauled it through Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa to Stevens Point, WI, then went to a military reunion in Western Ohio, then on to Lancaster County PA where I picked up an Avanti and then hauled it back through PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Idaho and Washington to Tacoma.

This time I'm leaving on the 27th and heading south to Portland, OR where I'll meet up with my co-driver on the 28th, and then we're heading straight east across Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois to Indiana. After the meet, we'll be heading up to the Gilmore Auto Museum in Michigan and then back down to Illinois and west along old Rt. 66 through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona to Cali where I'll be dropping my co-driver at the airport on the 11th for his flight home and then heading up to Washington and should be arriving back home late afternoon of the 12th of May. It should be a hoot!

If your brother is interested, have him give me a call: 425-806-4875 or shoot me an email at hausdok@msn.com.

P.S.
              Studerich is right. The traffic through the Seattle metro area all the way through Tacoma almost to Olympia is hell......if you drive at the wrong time of day (Sixth worst in the nation I think.). If your brother lives in Marysville he already knows that. The interstate turns into a slow creeping parking lot from Marysville through Everett every morning about 6:30 and in the opposite direction every afternoon about 3:30 until it clears up north of Marysville - 40 miles from downtown Seattle.

Something I've never been able to figure out - where the hell do all those cars come from during the off-peak times. I-5 is always busy. This is not that populous a state and the amount of cars flowing north and south on I-5 in this State is amazing. Down in Oregon and Cali it's not nearly as dense a traffic flow on I-5 as it is through this state. Sometimes I think that every driver in the State of Washington must make it a point to drive north and south on I-5 at least once a day - otherwise they must be paying thousands of drivers to do just that, 'cuz the volume during off-peak hours has never made sense to me.

I schedule my jobs during the day so that I head out to the job after the morning rush hour has mostly abated and I try to get done in time to get headed home before the afternoon swarm starts to gather strength. Same thing when I haul. I usually leave at oh-dark-thirty so I can avoid most of the swarm. I always seem to make better time hauling at night.

I would think any club chapters in the Seattle Metro area are smart enough to hold their meetings at those times of the day when they know traffic coming and going will be lighter. I think I met a guy from a North Seattle chapter a few years ago. If memory serves, he's in the Bothell area a few miles up the road toward Marysville from me. I'm sure your brother is very familiar with the traffic flow down through here.
              Last edited by hausdok; 04-12-2017, 02:32 AM.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

All good information guys. Thank you. I'll let Bill know.
                Mike, I sent you a PM.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                  Hi Ed,

I live north of Seattle, about half an hour's drive south of Marysville. I'm hauling a Lark Daytona east to the meet in a couple of weeks and am interested in finding a haul back. My co-drive had initially been interested in acquiring a car along the return route; but that car has apparently been sold, so I'd like to put something in that trailer, the fee for which would cover fuel and incidentals for the return trip. It will be a roundabout trip back. I'll be travelling over old Rt. 66 from Chi-Town to LA, probably dropping off some parts in Stanton, CA and perhaps again in San Jose, CA and then heading north to Seattle, possibly dropping off additional parts in Oregon and lower Washington enroute.

It'll be kind of reverse of the route I drove April of last year. Then I drove south to Garden Grove, CA, picked up a Golden Hawk, hauled it through Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa to Stevens Point, WI, then went to a military reunion in Western Ohio, then on to Lancaster County PA where I picked up an Avanti and then hauled it back through PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Idaho and Washington to Tacoma.

This time I'm leaving on the 27th and heading south to Portland, OR where I'll meet up with my co-driver on the 28th, and then we're heading straight east across Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois to Indiana. After the meet, we'll be heading up to the Gilmore Auto Museum in Michigan and then back down to Illinois and west along old Rt. 66 through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona to Cali where I'll be dropping my co-driver at the airport on the 11th for his flight home and then heading up to Washington and should be arriving back home late afternoon of the 12th of May. It should be a hoot!

If your brother is interested, have him give me a call: 425-806-4875 or shoot me an email at hausdok@msn.com.

P.S.
                  Studerich is right. The traffic through the Seattle metro area all the way through Tacoma almost to Olympia is hell......if you drive at the wrong time of day (Sixth worst in the nation I think.). If your brother lives in Marysville he already knows that. The interstate turns into a slow creeping parking lot from Marysville through Everett every morning about 6:30 and in the opposite direction every afternoon about 3:30 until it clears up north of Marysville - 40 miles from downtown Seattle.

Something I've never been able to figure out - where the hell do all those cars come from during the off-peak times. I-5 is always busy. This is not that populous a state and the amount of cars flowing north and south on I-5 in this State is amazing. Down in Oregon and Cali it's not nearly as dense a traffic flow on I-5 as it is through this state. Sometimes I think that every driver in the State of Washington must make it a point to drive north and south on I-5 at least once a day - otherwise they must be paying thousands of drivers to do just that, 'cuz the volume during off-peak hours has never made sense to me.

I schedule my jobs during the day so that I head out to the job after the morning rush hour has mostly abated and I try to get done in time to get headed home before the afternoon swarm starts to gather strength. Same thing when I haul. I usually leave at oh-dark-thirty so I can avoid most of the swarm. I always seem to make better time hauling at night.

I would think any club chapters in the Seattle Metro area are smart enough to hold their meetings at those times of the day when they know traffic coming and going will be lighter. I think I met a guy from a North Seattle chapter a few years ago. If memory serves, he's in the Bothell area a few miles up the road toward Marysville from me. I'm sure your brother is very familiar with the traffic flow down through here.
                  Mike, I am trying to send you a PM but it does not seem to be working. Please PM me.
                  Ed
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Bill welcome to our world! A little perspective on the Puget Sound SDC chapters, no ax to grind and no political agenda. I have been a member of the Seattle chapt. since 1972, which I believe was the first chapter on the west side of the mountains. At that time our Studebakers were our transportation. We had probably more then our share of Studebakers and drivers in the area and the sixty miles between geographic centers made it easy to sustain the other two chapters. Our cars can last a long time up here, even if driven regularly. Unfortunately our drivers just don't last as long as our cars have. In light of dwindling membership in the Seattle and North Puget Sound chapters it seemed imperative that the survival of both clubs would be dependent on reestablishing the bonds that should have kept us together, but hadn't.

For the last six years Mary and I have been members of all three chapters, and the ASC, and the national and regional AOIA. Our goal was to strengthen the bonds that should have kept us together, that we were all Studebaker people. With Mary's proactive attempts we were able to put together some really great joint meetings, by trying to do more then just having breakfast at the same restaurant every month. During that time, Al Basile and Lou Cote rebuilt from nothing, an AOIA (Avanti) group sixty five or more members. We were all talking we made a lot of new friends, but sadly the project has lost traction.

The Seattle chapt. has virtually no members in the city itself. Most of the meetings our are in the surrounding metro area and on Sunday. So it's not as big a deal as some would have you believe. The Tacoma chapter has chosen to cling to it autonomy and is doing the best of the three. The Tacoma group are more diverse, age wise and geographically and the meeting are large in comparison, but their meetings tend to be a long way away from you. The N Puget Sound has some real geographic pluses for you, but turnout has been small lately. Each chapter has some good things going for it, but I think that going to a meet or two of each chapter may help you decide which one you like the best. I still enjoy belonging to all three but whatever you choose, enjoy the ride!-Bill

Comment

Just talked with Mike (S) and he told me about the thread. I too work at Boeing and live in Mukilteo. Hope to meet you and have the Golden Hawks by each other next week.

The Boeing car show is over but next year all the Boeing Stude guys should show them on the flightline at the delivery center.

I too need to join the local club when the car is done. It's down to the wire, Mike and Rich are buttoning up the essentials -
                      rebuilt eng, trans, ( converted back to auto) brakes, steering, dailed in supercharger, suspension and lots of work here and there. Car looks the same but all fresh internals.

Gordy
                      sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

Eddie,
                        FWIW, as well as for future reference, on the SDC web site, which by the way this forum is part of, there is a tab that says "Contacts", with a drop down menu that includes "Local Chapters."
                        That provides contact information for any chapter anywhere in the world. And often links to their own web pages or Facebook page.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X