18" Moon discs on a Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" Moon discs on a Stude?

I'm still trying to figure out what direction my build will take. I really like the idea of paying tribute to salt flat history, but want modern low profile tires. I saw where mooneyes lists 18 inch screw on wheel covers. Has anybody seen this look tried?

I am still trying to imagine what a Studebaker would look like with 18" wheels. What year and model are you thinking about?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I had Moon discs in my 54 wagon for a while. Removed them when I went for another old look, Halibrand Sprint wheels.
      I've had "real" Moon discs on three cars over the years.

Mike

Comment

but want modern low profile tires. I saw where mooneyes lists 18 inch screw on wheel covers. Has anybody seen this look tried?

It's worth noting Bonneville tires are not low profile.

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        I am still trying to imagine what a Studebaker would look like with 18" wheels. What year and model are you thinking about?
        Several C/Ks featured in the rod mags have had 18", 19" and even larger wheels. Some whose opinions I respect like the large diameter wheel/very low profile tire look on older cars, but I haven't gotten my mind right to like it.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          Mine is a 1954 coupe with a fiberglass nose on it.

To me, the 120 inch wheelbase makes 15 inch wheels look tiny. I think 20s are a little too much though. 17s or 18s are about right .....today.

Comment

Can either of the cars in the last two pictures actually turn lock to lock? If you are really planning to drive a vehicle the turning radius matters as much as looks.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6068919529_a0866d03bc_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1713179Click image for larger version

Name:	18969967696_2fe8d5a211_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1713180

Comment

Looks like it does NOT take 18 Inch wheels to get the "Salt Flats" Look! ...Just 15 Inch wheels and some Discs.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  I had Moon discs in my 54 wagon for a while. Removed them when I went for another old look, Halibrand Sprint wheels.
                  I've had "real" Moon discs on three cars over the years.

Mike
                  I like Halibrands too, but I don't like the price. Are you running real halibrands or reproductions like "real rodders wheels" or "american rebel wheels"?

Comment

flipper -

I have both real Mag. Halibrands (several sets) and a set of Eric Vaughn alum. wheels.
                    I've done the Vaughn wheels so that they have fooled several people into thinking they were real oxidized magnesium.

And for what it's worth...15" all the way. Unless I had a 200+mph 53 or 54 Stude, then it would be 15" in front and narrow 18" in the back.

Mike

Comment

I choose my wheels for "the look", but I choose my tire profile for some compromise between handling and ride quality. MY 48 has 17x7 wheels, with 214/45 front and 215x50 rear tires. These tires came with the wheels and have a lot of tread left, with pretty good grip wet and dry, so I intend to wear them down some before replacement. But when I buy tires, I will be debating between 50-60 series tires. My handling is excellent, but the ride is a bit harsh with these tires. The wider the tire, the more harshness you get from a low profile. If you plan to drive much on the street, I would not be going for rubber band tires.
                      Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
                      X