Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Dual Points on 1952 Land Cruiser be Factory Installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Dual Points on 1952 Land Cruiser be Factory Installed?

I bought my 1952 Land Cruiser in 1969 when I spotted it setting beside a shop in El Paso. It's just your plain family sedan and was a cheap used car 17 years old. When I checked the tune up after getting it back to the base, I was surprised to find the distributor had dual points. Does anyone know if this could have been a factory option, or would it have to be something the owner added later? Thanks, Tom

BTW, when I pulled the valve covers I had to scrape away all the waxy built up sludge to find the rockers. That was the worst case of sludge I'd even seen, but I used a popsicle stick to dig out all I could, then changed the oil every 1000 miles, and it slowly came clean.

Dual points were a popular piece of speed equipment in the old daze. Aftermarket most likely. I may have a breaker plate somewhere that fits in the Delco distributor. Remember that many of the GM cars used the same distributor head and took the same points.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yes a very popular Aftermarket conversion kit was widely sold at Parts Stores and J.C. Whitney mail order house.

Remember these '51 to '59 V8 Early Delco Distributors were also used in Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs, Cadillacs, Chev's. some GMC's and more, so that would be a HUGE Seller in the mid-1950's.

Get 2 1/2 MORE H.P. ORDER NOW!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X