How to test solenoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test solenoid?

Finished installing new harness in alternator equipped '64 Champ P/U. Placed battery positive onto battery post--it appears the solenoid got smoked, literally. How can I test the solenoid for internal damage? Any thoughts?

Solenoid Smoked

Finished installing new harness in alternator equipped '64 Champ P/U. Placed battery positive onto battery post--it appears the solenoid got smoked, literally. How can I test the solenoid for internal damage? Any thoughts?

Comment

Was the solenoid smoking ?

Comment

Usually turning the Key to "Start" works for me, if there is Heating, Smoke etc. it is either overloaded from high resistance in the Starter, Starter Cable, or it IS the Solenoid.

Bi-passing the Solenoid with a heavy gauge jumper wire from the Batt. Terminal to the Starter Terminal will tell you if it is the Starter or not.

I have used the handle ends of a standard straight Jaw Old pair of Pliers across those two Terminals, but you must be sure the Battery is covered and certainly not still boiling from a recent charging, because "WARNING" there WILL be sparks, use gloves and only hold it until you can tell if the Engine turns, and have it in Neutral or Park with the parking Brake set, Key "OFF".
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Couldn't really see. That's why I need test if possible.

Comment

Do you mean that it smoked as soon as you attached the battery cable?

Comment

Thread title changed. Please, please, please: write titles that are descriptive with more than one word!

Thanks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Also, threads merged. Please post just one thread in Tech Talk when asking tech questions.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X