PDA

View Full Version : Broke down: Urgent help needed

Lou Van Anne
03-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Headed up the Grapevine early this morning in my 64 GT Hawk and got almost to the top when both :mad: muffler belts snapped.... (I've had one break before, but never both at the same time). I've hiked into Fort Tejon and the local auto parts store had them in stock for the 62/63 GTs (part no. 137-4821) but the parts book, dated 1963, didn't say whether or not they would work on the 64s? Would somebody please check this out in their Studebaker parts book confirm for me? Thanks, Lou Van Anne

Milaca
03-31-2017, 11:49 PM
I hate April 1st.... ;)

JGK 940
04-01-2017, 12:06 AM
You're in luck! The muffler belts interchange. It's the exhaust throwout bearings that were changed for that final year. Roll on!

Captain Billy
04-01-2017, 04:24 AM
I disagree with the previous assessment...
It's a clear case of a failed torqued over bindle rod.
Please pay more attention when installing the new one.

63 R2 Hawk
04-01-2017, 05:04 AM
The '64 muffler belts will only interchange with the '65-'67 GT Hawk belts, they are not backwards compatible. Also, if your '64 GT has the 289 Ford motor, then all bets are off......
That's according to the grapevine.

redbox
04-01-2017, 05:32 AM
Back in the '60's I had a Volkswagen. The same thing happened to me. Luckily it was a single muffler, because I actually took the belt off my pants and made it to the next town where I found a service station that had a replacement belt.

4jc8z
04-01-2017, 09:10 AM
ironically some modern trucks do have "bands" that support a muffler....so the april fools isn't that far off......

jclary
04-01-2017, 09:54 AM
ironically some modern trucks do have "bands" that support a muffler....so the april fools isn't that far off......

To add to the April first conversation...All good humor has an element of truth...belt, band, or strap? There came a time, when the belt I strapped around my waist, became a TOURNIQUET!:QQ: The reason was because I refused to admit I was gaining weight and needed to buy a longer belt.:oops: So...now, the Belt, I Strap around my waist is no longer a Tourniquet. It is a somewhat loose PHONE-HOLDER.:!:

MY Suspenders hold my pants up.:D

58PackardWagon
04-01-2017, 10:00 AM
While you are at it, have them check your headlight fluid

63 R2 Hawk
04-01-2017, 10:14 AM
And you can now buy exhaust fluid at your local diesel fuel station.......

Guido
04-01-2017, 10:34 AM
To add to the April first conversation...All good humor has an element of truth...belt, band, or strap? There came a time, when the belt I strapped around my waste, became a TOURNIQUET!:QQ: The reason was because I refused to admit I was gaining weight and needed to buy a longer belt.:oops: So...now, the Belt, I Strap around my waste is no longer a Tourniquet. It is a somewhat loose PHONE-HOLDER.:!:

MY Suspenders hold my pants up.:D

John,

Waste is what comes out when you overcinch the belt around your waist...

Scott
04-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Hang on Lou! You didn't specify if your car is LHD or RHD. If it's a RHD, you'll have to find spares in the UK and you could be stuck where you are for weeks. I heard a rumor that all exhaust RHD belts were unobtainium. :ohmy: And the 1964 RHD belts would have been extremely hard to come by even in the good old days because of the fact that so few '64 RHD cars were assembled. And no, 1964 Jaguar exhaust belts will not work (I can read your mind).

jclary
04-01-2017, 11:04 AM
John,

Waste is what comes out when you overcinch the belt around your waist...

Sure 'nuff...I knew someone would come through!:ohmy: Even if a word is not misspelled...it's all about the context!;)

After over four decades, I'm still dreading the day, I go to the mailbox and find letters from a couple of universities, revoking my degrees.:oops::o:rolleyes: (OK...I went back and edited it...probably messed that up too.)

StudeRich
04-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Lou are you sure you don't need Two Thousand Dollars for the Motel, Dinner, Breakfast the Tow home Bills and you lost your wallet with all your money and credit cards?

Let us know we can help. :)

Lou Van Anne
04-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Yes, that's true...please send it ASAP...or better yet, how about your bank debit card....and Thank You in advance!

Lou are you sure you don't need Two Thousand Dollars for the Motel, Dinner, Breakfast the Tow home Bills and you lost your wallet with all your money and credit cards?

Let us know we can help. :)

63t-cab
04-01-2017, 05:25 PM
If You know any thing about Cars, You'd know that what really matters is the Muffler "BEARING" belts are more secondary if a problem at all :D:rolleyes:

thunderations
04-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Muffler belt failure is usually due to worn out or miss adjusted muffler bearings. I always carry spare bearings and belts...........and at least one extra high compression hub cap in case one of mine is lost when the muffler bearing seizes and locks up the rear end. Better carry 2 if you have twin traction.

lumpy
04-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Lou , did you check the throzzle rods or the gybeenus ? these two items can lead to misdiagnoses of the muffler belts..seen it hundreds of times.:rolleyes:

Lou Van Anne
04-01-2017, 10:11 PM
No, I didn't think of that....I'll try it.
Lou , did you check the throzzle rods or the gybeenus ? these two items can lead to misdiagnoses of the muffler belts..seen it hundreds of times.:rolleyes:

kurtruk
04-02-2017, 12:55 AM
This guy could help.

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag

candbstudebakers
04-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Lou, the 64 muffler belts are the same as used on the 1974 Yugo and you can mail away and get them but it takes about 6 years to get them and I scrapped the last of them I had.

Greenstude
04-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Post 9 --- I actually had headlight fluid on a 1992 Dodge Spirit. The left headlight housing filled with rain water to the point the bulb shorted out. I drilled a small hole at the bottom of the lens on both headlights, and the problem was solved.

rkapteyn
04-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Sorry , it is April 2nd now and all replies are rejected!

GTHawk
04-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Headed up the Grapevine early this morning in my 64 GT Hawk and got almost to the top when both :mad: muffler belts snapped.... (I've had one break before, but never both at the same time). I've hiked into Fort Tejon and the local auto parts store had them in stock for the 62/63 GTs (part no. 137-4821) but the parts book, dated 1963, didn't say whether or not they would work on the 64s? Would somebody please check this out in their Studebaker parts book confirm for me? Thanks, Lou Van Anne

While working on my 1975 Mercedes I discovered that one of my muffler belts was broken and the other one cracked. I went to CarQuest and purchased two of them (part # 8166). The purpose of these is to belt the muffler to the frame. Just wanted you all to know that they DO exist. It's not a myth.