jwitt
03-30-2017, 07:37 PM
I saw this and had to share.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6066347745.html

PackardV8
03-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Yep. Heckuva nice car.

The 2 speed power glide transmission shifts smooth as silk

How many have driven their automatic transmission Studes for how many years without ever knowing it was a B-W and a 3-speed?

jack vines

LarkTruck
03-30-2017, 07:43 PM
I think Bill Pressler needs this one to park next to his other new toy!
JS

8E45E
03-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Nice looking car, but the text in the ad wrongly states what kind of transmission it has in it: "The 2 speed power glide transmission shifts smooth as silk"

The shift quadrant clearly shows it a Flightomatic.

Craig

2R5
03-30-2017, 07:48 PM
I would doubt if it's an original police car it would of come with that Am/Fm radio

57pack
03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Plush interior for a prowl car?
Have to show this to my policeman son!

abkco
03-30-2017, 09:37 PM
I think it is extremely cool. But to drive it around, might be illegal under impersonating an officer?

what huh
03-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Wish it was winter 2017-18... my next car is 65-66 studebaker but not planning on buying till then

what huh
03-30-2017, 10:19 PM
I think it is extremely cool. But to drive it around, might be illegal under impersonating an officer?

Don't care who it would piss off but if I was a buying it would be getting a re-paint, but I also have access to a body shop to get it done on the cheap

SScopelli
03-31-2017, 12:10 AM

:confused::confused:

Impersonating an officer in a 51 year old car? If that is the intent, then stupidity, nor driving this antique "police car" would be illegal in any of the 50 US states.

57pack
03-31-2017, 09:36 AM
There is a fellow in our area that drives a 1962 Plymouth police car to area car shows.
It's painted to resemble a NYPD patrol car of the early 1960's.
It's ID number is 54.
He gets a lot of smiles and laughs with it.

RadioRoy
03-31-2017, 10:54 AM
There is a fellow in our area that drives a 1962 Plymouth police car to area car shows.
It's painted to resemble a NYPD patrol car of the early 1960's.
It's ID number is 54.
He gets a lot of smiles and laughs with it.

" There's a hold up in the Bronx
Brooklyn's broken out in fights
there's a traffic jam in Harlem
that's backed up to Jackson Heights
There's a scout troop short a child
Khrushchev's due at Idlewilde
Car 54 where are you?"

rkapteyn
03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
I have a complete set of seats just like the ones in this car from a 1966 I stripped, same color for sale cheap!
Robert Kapteyn
studebaker@mac.com

wittsend
03-31-2017, 11:37 AM

Likely easily rectified by placing an "Out of Service" sign in the window.

Regarding the transmission it just might be a Powerglide. It is a logical replacement what with the GM engine. But, yes, a good question about not knowing the B-W trans is a 3-speed.

Milaca
03-31-2017, 12:20 PM
If this was built as a police cruiser from the factory, wouldn't it then have first-gear start? And therefor be obvious that it has 3 speeds?

RadioRoy
03-31-2017, 01:26 PM
If this was built as a police cruiser from the factory, wouldn't it then have first-gear start? And therefor be obvious that it has 3 speeds?

If ordered as a police car, it would probably not have had a deluxe interior. Police and taxi were usually heavy duty vinyl interiors.

S2Deluxe
03-31-2017, 01:57 PM

How many '66 police cruisers did Studebaker actually build? This guy says in his add that it's a "Rare one of a kind Antique"!!! Is that true, the police cruiser part, does look pretty convincing? You can't see in the pictures, if it has the zippered headliner and both Malacca and Roy make good points as well?

Mark

2R5
03-31-2017, 03:53 PM
How many '66 police cruisers did Studebaker actually build? This guy says in his add that it's a "Rare one of a kind Antique"!!! Is that true, the police cruiser part, does look pretty convincing? You can't see in the pictures, if it has the zippered headliner and both Malacca and Roy make good points as well?

Mark

id say " none "

S2Deluxe
03-31-2017, 05:54 PM
id say " none "

If that's true, I'm not really surprised?

Mark

Coupe Express
03-31-2017, 08:04 PM
This car is a Sheriff's car, or at least that's how it's marked, which could possibly explains a more deluxe interior than a typical police curiser. This would be a great car to drive to work in traffic.

Mark57
03-31-2017, 11:28 PM
Reading Fred Fox's extensive articles on the '66 models (TW late 2011/early 2012) and the associated data from the Hamilton factory, the only special model built was the Taxi package which was only available with the 194 six cylinder and a 3 speed floor shift or automatic. There was no "police" package. So, this is either a 66 Cruiser bought by a PD and specially done up for police service, or more likely, someone has taken a 66 Cruiser and restored it to look like a police special. It would be interesting to see the Production Order for it. ;):)

jclary
04-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Well...regardless of whether or not it is "authentic," I think it is COOL! If I had room for it, and could acquire it at a price that satisfies my CASO standards (you don't wanna know), I would have a blast with it at local cruise-ins!:cheers:

One sure sign, would be if it has that zippered opening in the headliner I've read about for Police vehicles. After half a century, all sorts of undocumented changes could have been made. My humble little pick-up is a good example. Although it still has its original spare tire, it now has two tail lights, turn signals, a passenger side mirror, inside rear-view mirror, and a heater.:)

Stu Chapman
04-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Although there was no "police package" as such in 1966, don't forget we built several dozen special 1966 Commander police cruisers for the City of Hamilton Police Department which carried specs specifically requested by Hamilton. Those cars were as heavy duty as we could build. Many things were different about them. Hamilton still displays a re-built 66 police cruiser at special events.

Stu Chapman

2R5
04-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Although there was no "police package" as such in 1966, don't forget we built several dozen special 1966 Commander police cruisers for the City of Hamilton Police Department which carried specs specifically requested by Hamilton. Those cars were as heavy duty as we could build. Many things were different about them. Hamilton still displays a re-built 66 police cruiser at special events.

Stu Chapman

Dont forget that the one they display today was originally a 64 that was made to look like a 66

Buzzard
04-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Cool car which I'd be thrilled to own AND drive. I agree with Mr. Scopelli that only idiots would think a 51 year old police car could still be in service. I'm not trying to bump this thread but at one of our car shows in Arizona this winter was this fine example, actually owned and driven regularly by a real Constable.631746317563176 He is a real nice guy in the first photo in the correct gear and he was packing.

Bill

lugamatic
04-03-2017, 05:27 AM
just sent you a pm message

8E45E
04-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Cool car which I'd be thrilled to own AND drive. I agree with Mr. Scopelli that only idiots would think a 51 year old police car could still be in service. I'm not trying to bump this thread but at one of our car shows in Arizona this winter was this fine example, actually owned and driven regularly by a real Constable. He is a real nice guy in the first photo in the correct gear and he was packing.

I do not believe that '66 Cruiser was sold brand new as a police cruiser, either. Studebaker's last 'real' police cars were the 1964 Y3 Marshals that were designed and engineered for 'severe service' to be police cars with performance and handling to match.

What did that '67 Ford have under the hood for an engine?

Craig

Stu Chapman
04-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Dont forget that the one they display today was originally a 64 that was made to look like a 66

You are correct Craig.

Stu Chapman

Buzzard
04-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Hey Craig, Unfortunately it was a lowly 289, and not even a Studebaker one! He said his plans are to build up a suitable period correct 390 or 352. It even had the correct era Motorola police radio.
Bill

8E45E
04-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Hey Craig, Unfortunately it was a lowly 289, and not even a Studebaker one! He said his plans are to build up a suitable period correct 390 or 352. It even had the correct era Motorola police radio.
Bill

So does the black factory Marshal here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?3954-64-Studebaker-Squad-Car-in-Action/page2 which has a less than lowly 289, and a Motorola police radio!!

(Too bad that '67 Ford Custom does not have the Police Interceptor package with a P-code 428.)

Craig

Coupe Express
04-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Made a deal on the 66 cruiser sight unseen. However, had someone I know in Orlando look at it and drive it. He said I could drive it back to KC from Orlando, but no I don't think so, transport sounds much better. Let me know if questions on it, I should have it by the end of next week.
Mike

jclary
04-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Made a deal on the 66 cruiser sight unseen. However, had someone I know in Orlando look at it and drive it. He said I could drive it back to KC from Orlando, but no I don't think so, transport sounds much better. Let me know if questions on it, I should have it by the end of next week.
Mike

Absolutely fantastic, Mike!:!: I hope you really enjoy it. Perhaps you will acquire a new title...SHERIFF MIKE!;):cool: