Forum rhetoric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum rhetoric

Is it just me, or does it seem that more folks are now trading pointed barbs than has been the case in the past? Expressing an opinion is fine, but many of the rebuttals now seem like personal attacks. Takes a lot of the fun out of for me......

I confess to enjoying having a bit of fun by poking fun at some things you come across in this hobby (and some folks I have gotten to know), but I also recognize that there is a fine line that can be crossed where things become personal and not enjoyable - which for me is what this hobby is all about "enjoyment" and a chance to escape from the real world pressures for a while! (So, if I have crossed that line - I apologize![:I])

PS: I agree with Gary...

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    [img]
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I confess to enjoying having a bit of fun by poking fun at some things you come across in this hobby (and some folks I have gotten to know), but I also recognize that there is a fine line that can be crossed where things become personal and not enjoyable - which for me is what this hobby is all about "enjoyment" and a chance to escape from the real world pressures for a while! (So, if I have crossed that line - I apologize![:I])

PS: I agree with Gary...

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      [img]
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

I'm "only" a lurker, but yep, I've noticed that too. I like the Forum better than the newsgroup because it sticks to Studebaker related topics and none of the personal attacks that characterized some of the N/G threads. But lately it's also been getting edgy here at times.

Comment

I'm "only" a lurker, but yep, I've noticed that too. I like the Forum better than the newsgroup because it sticks to Studebaker related topics and none of the personal attacks that characterized some of the N/G threads. But lately it's also been getting edgy here at times.

Comment

This will sound corny, but in the northern latitudes, seasonal affective disorder (SAD) influences many more people's dispositions than is generally recognized. My wife will testify to the fact that I am a real SOB unless I spend my obligatory 45 minutes under my full=spectrum lamp each morning. Perhaps that accounts for part of the 'edginess' people have noticed (not just from me[]). Plus, most of us can't drive our cars....

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

Comment

This will sound corny, but in the northern latitudes, seasonal affective disorder (SAD) influences many more people's dispositions than is generally recognized. My wife will testify to the fact that I am a real SOB unless I spend my obligatory 45 minutes under my full=spectrum lamp each morning. Perhaps that accounts for part of the 'edginess' people have noticed (not just from me[]). Plus, most of us can't drive our cars....

51 Commander State Sedan
              Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
              Butler PA

Comment

If you wouldn't say it face to face with the other person knowing your name, don't say it here (or on any other forum for that matter). Relative anonymity seems to bring out the worst in some people. Also remember a smart comment that might elicit a laugh in person does not necessarily translate well into print. Our SDC forum is VERY tame compared to others I have stumbled on. If it wasn't I have a feeling most of us wouldn't participate. Stude people are by far the nicest people on the planet!

Studedude1961
                John Waddell
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

If you wouldn't say it face to face with the other person knowing your name, don't say it here (or on any other forum for that matter). Relative anonymity seems to bring out the worst in some people. Also remember a smart comment that might elicit a laugh in person does not necessarily translate well into print. Our SDC forum is VERY tame compared to others I have stumbled on. If it wasn't I have a feeling most of us wouldn't participate. Stude people are by far the nicest people on the planet!

Studedude1961
                  John Waddell
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

I am admitting that I have too often jumped on bait I should have ignored, and apologize for that.

Me too (both jumped and apologize). Must be that evil twin thing [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

I am admitting that I have too often jumped on bait I should have ignored, and apologize for that.

Me too (both jumped and apologize). Must be that evil twin thing [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well we all get that way sometimes and if I owe any apologys consider them sent your way. been a real ruff end of 2007. Thanks for all your support

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        1957 Silverhawk
                        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        1955 President State
                        Fresno,Ca
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Well we all get that way sometimes and if I owe any apologys consider them sent your way. been a real ruff end of 2007. Thanks for all your support

Mabel 1949 Champion
                          1957 Silverhawk
                          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          1955 President State
                          Fresno,Ca
                          Mabel 1949 Champion
                          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          The Prez 1955 President State
                          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Fresno,Ca

Comment

I know. I have SAD (Separational Affective Disorder).... my Stude is in pieces, getting a floorectomy. I have been separated from it most of the winter so far, and am getting antsy[xx(].

Comment

I know. I have SAD (Separational Affective Disorder).... my Stude is in pieces, getting a floorectomy. I have been separated from it most of the winter so far, and am getting antsy[xx(].

Comment

Working...
                              X