PDA

View Full Version : Red eBay Avanti - what do I do now!

studbkr
03-29-2017, 09:28 PM
I just won this non-operational Avanti, with a good body and interior on eBay and I'm in shock...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studebaker-Avanti-R1-with-AC-2-Door-Coupe-/282402237085

I put in a lowball bid 3 days ago and I won the damn thing! I thought it would go for around $12,000

I have no space for it in urban Silicon Valley. It will have to be parked on the street!

Is anybody insanely jealous of my winning the auction and want to take it off my hands?

Thanks!

Karl in Silicon Valley
'63 Daytona Ragtop
...and an Avanti, so it seems...

RadioRoy
03-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Wow Karl. The adventure begins! Keep everyone posted and congratulations.

studbkr
03-29-2017, 09:37 PM
RadioRoy! I caught the Stude disease again. Can I store it at your place? (Kidding...too far for me to work on it).

studbkr
03-29-2017, 09:43 PM
FYI: The seller is a Forum member. We just talked on the phone, and it sounds like I'm in good hands. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/member.php?3622-Bellingham-Studenut

RadioRoy
03-29-2017, 09:56 PM
RadioRoy! I caught the Stude disease again. Can I store it at your place? (Kidding...too far for me to work on it).

Can we start stacking them up?

Xcalibur
03-29-2017, 10:03 PM
So, the moral is... if ya bid on anything at all, consider the worst-case scenario in advance, i.e., winning the auction.

StudeRich
03-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that Karl. :(

HEY, any buyers out there for a reasonably priced, nice, Red '63 Avanti R1 with Air in the Great Northwest?

I am 12 Miles from where it lives if I can help.

studbkr
03-29-2017, 10:09 PM
So, the moral is... if ya bid on anything at all, consider the worst-case scenario in advance, i.e., winning the auction.

Yup! Well...my thoughts now are to try and get the engine to turn over, then eBay it. Current owner didn't try too hard to get the engine unstuck. (Is MMO the best to try?)

Milaca
03-29-2017, 10:21 PM
Sell me your 1963 Daytona ragtop, then you will have room for the Avanti. :)

StudeRich
03-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Yup! Well...my thoughts now are to try and get the engine to turn over, then eBay it. Current owner didn't try too hard to get the engine unstuck. (Is MMO the best to try?)

The Very Best is Acetone and ATF 50%/50%.

You never know, maybe in a different Area ($$$) the eBay bids would be more. :!:

JoeHall
03-29-2017, 10:52 PM
Who would want a motor that was so stuck it took extreme measures to unstick it. It likely has damage to the cylinder walls, and the rings froze in place. Driving it may loosen it up a bit, but it will never be right till disassembled and repaired as necessary. Sometimes even more damage is done by starting a motor that has been frozen.

OTOH, sure wish I had the time, energy and money to take that car on as a project. It looks like another one that just needs the mechanicals addressed in order to make it an excellent driver!

studbkr
03-29-2017, 10:55 PM
The Very Best is Acetone and ATF 50%/50%.

You never know, maybe in a different Area ($$$) the eBay bids would be more. :!:

Rich,

Thanks. I'll try the Acetone/ATF. The seller seems wonderful and cooperative, so unless it would look better in your garage, I don't think I need any local help.

The car came previously from CA, and the underbody looks great. It may indeed go better on eBay with shiny new CA plates (and maybe an unstuck engine!)

Thanks!

StudeDave57
03-30-2017, 12:51 AM
Rich,
Thanks. I'll try the Acetone/ATF. The seller seems wonderful and cooperative, so unless it would look better in your garage, I don't think I need any local help.
Dad's got a HUGE garage, but even with that much space- we still have stuff stored offsite. One of the LAST things he needs is another one.

Not to mention-- there's already an Avanti in his fleet.... ;)
:cheers:

TWChamp
03-30-2017, 06:34 AM
In the early 80's I bought a nice looking 1950 Champion 2 door with a stuck engine. The seller said he had been soaking the pistons with aviation oil, but couldn't get them loose. I tried a few light oils and a 12 volt battery for extra kick, but it still wouldn't budge. After 6 months of soaking I finally removed the head, and much to my surprise all the cylinders looked clean as can be, except for the cylinder with the open exhaust valve, which had the very slightest sign of surface rust in a small area. I just couldn't believe this engine was actually stuck, but expect it will clean up fine when I take it apart.

Chances are your engine and mine have rings stuck in the pistons, so the best move is to take it apart to prevent doing more damage.

Ron Dame
03-30-2017, 07:04 AM
Thanks for taking the bullet for me. I was strongly considering a low-ball offer to about where you won it, but would have to truck it east, and then figure out where to park it until I could get to it! I get to live through this vicariously!

jts359
03-30-2017, 07:26 AM
I've said this before and I'm going to say it again , Several years ago I bought an R-1 Avanti the engine was stuck ,tried all the usual stuff to free it , Pulled the heads and the pistons were not stuck , It was the wrist pins ! they were frozen , It was kind of time consuming to get it apart but in the end it ran fine , We sold the car and the current owner is still driving it , Ed

GrumpyOne
03-30-2017, 09:37 AM
What most seem to forget is that plain ol' water, (as in immersed), will free up just about any stuck anything. Water and moisture induced corrosion are a common denominator that the really old timers know about. Of course, engine removal is required unless you submerge the whole car...

Lou Van Anne
03-30-2017, 09:49 AM
NOT on top of my old '51 champion business coupe please.....I still love her!;)

Can we start stacking them up?

t walgamuth
03-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Looks like a nice car! I'd be tempted if I weren't already possessing too many old cars to properly care for them.;)

sals54
03-30-2017, 01:00 PM
I just won this non-operational Avanti, with a good body and interior on eBay and I'm in shock...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studebaker-Avanti-R1-with-AC-2-Door-Coupe-/282402237085

I put in a lowball bid 3 days ago and I won the damn thing! I thought it would go for around $12,000

I have no space for it in urban Silicon Valley. It will have to be parked on the street!

Is anybody insanely jealous of my winning the auction and want to take it off my hands?

Thanks!

Karl in Silicon Valley
'63 Daytona Ragtop

Karl
Check your PM

sals54
03-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Thanks!

Karl in Silicon Valley
'63 Daytona Ragtop

Karl
Check your PM. Call me.

Endl98
03-30-2017, 03:07 PM
the acetone atf works wonders for freeing up rusted rings to the walls

sweetolbob
03-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Hopefully the OP or the next owner can make a nice driver out of this Avanti by doing the work themselves. My guess is most bidders ran out of gas about this price when they started to add paint work, engine repair/rebuild and interior work to the equation. A serious home mechanic/painter could probably get it on the road for a few grand more.

IAC, looks like a solid car and a great start for someone.

studbkr
03-30-2017, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking the paint and interior are nice "driver quality". Brakes, fuel system, and try a little harder to free-up the engine. Put a thousand, or two, into it, plus free time that I don't have, and sell it for a profit when I get tired of moving it every three days (to avoid parking tickets)

Jett289
03-30-2017, 09:59 PM
I put a low bid offer on a supercharged 62 GT Hawk a few years back and much to my shock I won the car .. THe last couple hours watching the bidding and praying someone would outbid me .. lol . I'm so glad I have the car now and looking forward to many more years with it..

scottsewall
03-30-2017, 11:31 PM
Karl, look forward to seeing your new Avanti at local event. Sounds like a fun project getting it on the road again.

--- Scott

studbkr
04-05-2017, 12:02 AM
StudeRich, Any chance you want to make a few bucks by hauling it to your place and helping me sell it on eBay? I received the title and am trying to line-up a truck for $1000 so that I can sell it in San Jose. No time to tinker with it. Maybe you're willing to park it at your place for several weeks, while I run an auction from here. I can pay you a flat rate, or you can be a gambler and receive anything over what I paid, plus my eBay fees.

Mrs K Corbin
04-05-2017, 06:37 AM
Cram it together and Yell "here watch my beer!".... LOL