PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Shop near Washington DC needed.

paulbearson
03-29-2017, 12:31 PM
I would like recommendations on a restoration shop within say 100 miles (or so) of the Washington DC metro area. I need a new shop, as my Golden Hawk is going nowhere at the shop where it has been for the past 8 years. I am running out of time to enjoy this car, as I will turn 74 this August. Tomorrow I will visit Custom Restorations in Leola, PA. Anybody know of them? Nice website "customrestorations.net". Thanks.

BobPalma
03-29-2017, 12:52 PM
I would like recommendations on a restoration shop within say 100 miles (or so) of the Washington DC metro area. I need a new shop, as my Golden Hawk is going nowhere at the shop where it has been for the past 8 years. I am running out of time to enjoy this car, as I will turn 74 this August. Tomorrow I will visit Custom Restorations in Leola, PA. Anybody know of them? Nice website "customrestorations.net". Thanks.

:) Check with Jeff Bradel and Skip Lackie here on the forum. Skip lives in DC and Jeff lives just outside DC in Centreville VA, so either or both might know who to contact....or who to avoid! ;) :cool: BP

64V-K7
03-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Never heard of "Custom Restorations" but if you want a top notch shop in PA, look into Westmoreland Studebaker, in Blairsville (Craig Piper)
http://westmorelandrestorations.com/WACR_iw/About_Us.html

Bill Pressler
03-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Never heard of "Custom Restorations" but if you want a top notch shop in PA, look into Westmoreland Studebaker, in Blairsville (Craig Piper)
http://westmorelandrestorations.com/WACR_iw/About_Us.html

It's been over 20 years, but I utilized Westmoreland Restorations and they did a fine job on restoring my rusty '63, within my "driver" requirements. But they have done many an AACA First as well. Further, I think they're good and nice folks.

jackb
03-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Piper's is the way to go in your geographical locale...

paulbearson
03-29-2017, 03:43 PM
OK, I have put a call into Westmoreland. I hope they will tell me they can start on my car in a reasonable amount of time. Thank you gentlemen, for the advice.

BobPalma
03-29-2017, 03:59 PM
:!!: I'll second the motion on Westmoreland and Craig Piper, Paul. I don't know if you'd consider going that far from where you are (as if I even know how far that is!), but I don't think you'd ever find anyone with a bad word to say about Craig and his business....and specializing in Studebakers to boot. :D :cool: BP

Avantidon
03-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Last time I talked to Craig and referred a contact to him he said it'd be a year before he could start on the project. In my opinion it is well worth the wait if you can be patient.

rockne10
03-29-2017, 07:57 PM
:!!: (as if I even know how far that is!), :D :cool: BPIn the vicinity of 200 miles from DC to Blairsville.

studefan
03-29-2017, 08:11 PM
This is Jeff Bradel. I do live near Washington DC but I also took my car to Craig and Westmoreland Restorations to have it painted. I highly recommend them. The big question is, as already mentioned, how soon can they start and how long will they need to finish it?

Jeff

rockne10
03-29-2017, 08:24 PM
...how soon can they start and how long will they need to finish it?This often depends on the vehicle owner, and especially the level of restoration desired. Once Craig starts on a project he will bill monthly for progress achieved. As long as the bills get paid the project continues to be actively addressed.
Often folks believe they can assign a restoration to a shop and receive a bill when all is said and done; or pay a thousand or two every once in a while without expecting the project to be put aside.

migral23
03-29-2017, 11:19 PM
I have visited a shop in Union Bridge MD named Vintage Restorations; I think it's run by John Tokar. Its website is www.vintagerestorationsltd.com.
I haven't personally had any restoration work done there, although John has secured unobtanium items for my vintage Land Rover in the past. Their website speaks of doing British car restorations, but I've seen plenty of US cars there, including I think, Skip Lackie's 1950s ppickup truck in the past.

Skip Lackie
03-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Yes, Vintage Restorations did the paint (and a bit of rust repair) on my 3R6 and did a very nice job. I did not ask them to do any mechanical work, but they do that too. Although their focus is on British cars, they recently were working on a 55 Stude speedster and a 63 Impala convertible. Craig Piper does extraordinary work, but is usually backed up with work.

lschuc
03-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Check out WCD Garage near Boston. They do really good work. You can get more details from Dave Thiebeault

unimogjohn
03-31-2017, 06:58 AM
The owner, Paul Rose is an Avanti guy. His shop has an excellent reputation for outstanding work. http://vintagemotorcarco.com/index.html

03-31-2017, 07:58 AM
The owner, Paul Rose is an Avanti guy. His shop has an excellent reputation for outstanding work. http://vintagemotorcarco.com/index.html
I second John's recommendation. This shop is fewer than 100 miles from DC and his shop is immediately off I-81 at Inwood, WV (short distance north of Winchester, VA). I know that Paul Rose has taken on jobs that were botched or not completed elsewhere and the end was result was great (example- a 1933 V-16 Marmon among others).

vmania
03-31-2017, 08:34 AM
Craig is completing our 57 GH as we speak, hope to have her home soon......

KenS
03-31-2017, 03:11 PM
East Coast Hot Rod shop in Denton

paulbearson
04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. I had a nice conversation with Craig Piper and he asked me to send him pictures and he told me that he would consult with his son, to see when they might be able to take my GH in. I am willing to wait up to a year. If longer than that, I will have to look carefully at the other recommendations here. Thanks, again. Bj

vmania
04-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Great choice!!

Randy Ridenour
04-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Westmoreland painted my GT Hawk years ago. His paint work is exceptional and the paint on my Hawk looks almost as good today as it did when he delivered it to me in April of 2002.

rkapteyn
04-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. I had a nice conversation with Craig Piper and he asked me to send him pictures and he told me that he would consult with his son, to see when they might be able to take my GH in. I am willing to wait up to a year. If longer than that, I will have to look carefully at the other recommendations here. Thanks, again. Bj

Great shop!
Gregg is a great Studebaker expert and has a large parts stock and really knows Studebakers.
He also is familiar with all Studebaker parts vendors to get the correct parts fast.

Robert Kapteyn