Avanti 374!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti 374!!

Has anyone slipped a Packard V8 into an Avanti? .......................

I've seen photos of a Packard powered Studebaker Lark, and if that big engine fits into a Lark, it should fit into an Avanti?

I picture a '63-'64 (Ford bolt pattern) T-10 four speed transmission used in this swap. (as opposed to the tried & true T-85 three speed.)

The T-10 would bolt right up to the Packard clutch housing, however, the input shaft would require a machinists touch!

The torque output of a 374 (or bigger) Packard V8 would certainly 'smoke' an Avanti's rear tires!!

No, I've never seen a Packard V8 in an Avanti.
    Yes, it would fit in the engine compartment, no problem.
    Yes, I've installed Ford-pattern T10s behind a couple of Packard V8s. An extended pilot bearing is all that's required. The Ford toploader also bolts up. In either case, an Avanti would require a short tailshaft version. Most Ford T10s and toploaders have very long tailshafts which would interfere with the Avanti X-member.
    Maybe, with all the weight on the front end, what the Avanti really needs is the Eldorado/Toronado FWD system
    Yes, either idea is absolutely crazy.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

[QUOTE=PackardV8;
      Yes, either idea is absolutely crazy.

jack vines[/QUOTE]

That's what they told the guy that invented the WHEEL Jack!

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Maybe, with all the weight on the front end, what the Avanti really needs is the Eldorado/Toronado FWD system. Yes, either idea is absolutely crazy. jack vines
        Saw an Avanti down in Southern California with a 'clip' from a K-Car once.
        Yup- motor/trans- the works. No joke.

Also seen an M-Series with a Caddie as you describe.

One was much much cooler than the other...

hint--
        I am NOT an Avanti guy.
        But either way--- seriously...?

StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

"No, I've never seen a Packard V8 in an Avanti.
          Yes, it would fit in the engine compartment, no problem." Jack Vines

When I was growing up, my dad and a friend's dad took the lot of us sailing. I forget what my friend David was doing but typical teen aged boys, we were doing something pointless. David's dad Bill was watching David and commented, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.". Kinda sums up this idea. Not as bad though as the Toyota Corolla engine and trans grafted into a Mercedes 190SL. My dad used to own a 190 SL, I am quite familiar with how underwhelming the performance is but at least they were well balanced and made for a lovely boulevarder. The result of this barbaric atrocity is forever etched into my brain. They guy even butchered up the original dash to put in the Toyota instruments.

Now, slipping that mill in a 1 ton Transtar with a 9' bed, count me in!

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Jacks Idea of a cad front wheel drive would be interesting. Just think a built 500 cad motor with front wheel drive. Smoke the front tires for as far as you want to go or they pop which ever comes first.

Comment

I once saw a '66 Toronado with 4WD....It had a second complete front drive '66 Olds engine & trans installed where the rear 'dead axle' once resided!

Comment

I really can picture a 374" Packard Caribbean engine, running dual quads and the factory chrome 'PACKARD SCRIPT' rocker arm covers, under the hood of an otherwise stock appearing Avanti!! (although the Avanti's hood would probably have to be 'scooped' to clear those carbs!)

Comment

I agree a Packard V8 would be interesting in an Avanti. But would also want to include a tasteful mod to the front grill, so as to get plenty of cooling air to the big motor. Something like this, painted body color would do the job. It would take a trained, keen eye to even notice it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1713065

Comment

OMG, and I've spent most of my adult life LIGHTENING the front of Avantis!!! What a "plow"... like front-wheel drive weight distribution without the front-wheel drive!

Comment

Umm-- not really. The Packard only weighs about 20 lbs. more. I'd say an Avanti with A/C would weigh about the same as a "374" Avanti without A/C...

BTW-- anyone have a 374 laying around? I'm looking to upgrade my newly acquired '56 Golden Hawk-- it already has the twin-4's...
                      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                      1951 Champion Business Coupe
                      1951 Commander Starlight
                      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                      1953 Champion Starlight
                      1953 Commander Starliner
                      1953 2R5
                      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                      1959 Silver Hawk
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                      1965 Cruiser
                      1970 Avanti

Comment

Some of you will remember Sony Wisner's 55 coupe with the 500 Cadillac, Corvette front and rear suspension, lots of Weber carbs, built about 25 years ago. But he is best known for his old Dodge pickup with the Eldorado engine and trans, pictured doing a burnout with the front wheels - a real attention getter.

I recall a magazine project car, I think Car and Driver, which was a Civic with the normal front engine and an identical engine in the back seat driving the rear wheels.

As for the 190SL, there is one in the Seattle area with a Lexus V8, and the entire engine compartment is crammed with wiring and relays, a real piece of work, done quite a few years ago by an electrical engineer - who else?

If I had an Avanti in need of an engine, I would be searching for the aluminum V6 engine and six speed manual trans from a 350Z or 370Z. That would balance the car and give quite a bit more fuel economy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonny Wisner 55 with Cad 500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1713066
                        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Oh yes-- Vader's Ride...
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I always thought a NOVI v8 would be a good Avanti engine. Actually the Stude indy engine would be even better.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Kenny,
                              I have NOS 374 block with fitted pistons. Unfortunately it is in FL.
                              78 Avanti RQB 2792
                              64 Avanti R1 R5408
                              63 Avanti R1 R4551
                              63 Avanti R1 R2281
                              62 GT Hawk V15949
                              56 GH 6032504
                              56 GH 6032588
                              55 Speedster 7160047
                              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                              X