Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did R1 & R2 Hawks have both grille badges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did R1 & R2 Hawks have both grille badges?

My '63 R2 had both the round R2 badge and the lower drive side corner badge when I got it. Is that the way they came from the factory or did the R1 & R2 Hawks use only the round "R" badge? Also, some R grille badges (like mine) have the little stars on them, some don't. What's the difference? Is it an early/late thing, like the fender badges?

I can answer some of your questions. (1) The round R1/R2 grille badges with the stars on them are 1963 model year; the ones without stars are 1964. (2) Only a full-package car would have come from the factory with an R1 or R2 grille badge. An R1 or R2 car without the full high-performance package would still have had the front fender "Avanti Powered (R1)" or "Avanti Supercharged (R2)" badges, but no grille badge. (3) I don't know whether a '63 Hawk with the full high-performance package would have had both the red-white-blue grille badge and the R1 or R2 badge, but I doubt it because the grille would look cluttered with two badges in the lower driver's side. I have had two non-package R2 '63 Hawks and both had the red-white-blue grille badge, but no R2 grille badge. Back in the '60's I ordered an R2 grille badge (about $3) and installed it on my car. So, the current owner probably swears that it came on the car. But, it didn't.
    -Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Virginia Chapter-SDC

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I will probably leave mine the way it is for now, the R2 badge is on the upper pass side so it doesn't look too unbalanced. My car is by no means a show car...

Comment

Hello, I have a 63 Hawk with the full performance package (option 46A on the build sheet) and it has only the R2 badge on the lower left part of the grille, but does not have the R2 emblems on the fenders!

Comment

As I understand it, the fender badges didn't come on the early production cars, they were added later in the '63 model year. Likewise, the 160 speedometers.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
            As I understand it, the fender badges didn't come on the early production cars, they were added later in the '63 model year. Likewise, the 160 speedometers.
            And they were available at a dealers for a no-cost retrofit on previously sold cars that did not have them: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...badge+location

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by jif988 View Post
              Hello, I have a 63 Hawk with the full performance package (option 46A on the build sheet) and it has only the R2 badge on the lower left part of the grille, but does not have the R2 emblems on the fenders!
              Joel, those front fenders have had to have been replaced, or someone removed the fender tags and filled the holes. By the time the full high-performance package was introduced, your car certainly would have had factory-installed fender tags. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
              X